Happy update

Splash

Jess is out of the hospital. I'm totally shocked by that, since twelve hours ago she was having fairly regular contractions and it looked likely that she was going to have a baby. But she wanted to go home. The contractions stopped, and she wanted out. So, she's out. If she has any bleeding, contractions, or unusual pain (what's unusual, eh?) then she is to go straight to the ER, and she needs to see her OB on Monday.
I talked to her today, and she was different. I think that it scared the crap out of her, in a way that some people need to be scared sometimes. I may have thought bad things about her in the past (and will again I am sure) and though I don't particularly LIKE her most of the time, I have always loved her. I was so scared on Friday, for all of them.
What shocked me most... truly shocked me... was she called AJ today, after leaving the hospital, and told her to ask me what car seat to buy. I was floored. Maybe she finally understands that I was never trying to undermine or insult her, that I always just wanted him safe. I had thought a lot on what to tell her, and I told them a Graco SafeSeat 2. I would love to say a convertible, but I know they won't turn him around again (especially since a paramedic told her how lucky they were that Zach wasn't rear facing because he would have been hurt much worse), and I think this is the best option. It's very safe, and very easy to use. She said she didn't want another overhead shield, because she feels like ones "with belts" are better, even if they're more work. I really hope that she does get him one, because it's so easy to install. Hell, I'm at the point that I'm almost willing to buy it.
Thanks to all of you for all of your support the past 24 hours, and for pushing me to get him out of that booster! What he was in certainly wasn't the safest, but I know it was better than what would have been.
Fingers crossed that she gets him a good seat, uses it correctly, and never has this happen again.

Oh, she needs a new seat instead of the Intera because it was in the car as well. She asked if she could just use that, since they're tight for cash, and AJ told her know and there was no discussion even.

ADS

lovinwaves

Yes, a very happy update indeed! Do you know why specifically she was told thank goodness he wasn't rear-facing?
Good for you for being such a great sister, SIL, and Aunt! I'm glad they are all ok, and you were able to save Zach's life. Yeah, you probably did. I told Dh last night and the first thing he said was "yep, he probably would have died being in that booster seat :(". It's reality, it sucks, but you did a good thing by getting him into something safer.

Awesome news! What a relief that they seem to have been "scared smart"! I hope she remains well and baby stays put a bit longer....

Dillipop

A girl I worked with had her son ffing when they were rearended and the back window blew out, making glass fly in. I would think in that situation, he probably was better off ffing, but really, what is the likely hood of that happening? It seems relatively rare to me. No chance she would have turned him back around after that...he's 4 now and I am trying to convince her she needs to remove the harness from the seat he's in. He's now 41 pounds in a dorel high back booster with harness. Her reasoning...it goes to 50 pounds (no it doesn't, read teh manual) and it protected him just fine in the accident 2 weeks ago...ugh!

Lara

Awesome! You are such a good Aunt and SIL, Splash! You did save that baby's life, and it sounds like she knows it.

Hopefully she will get the ss2 and use it properly! I know our target has it on clearance right now (can't remember the pattern name... its black, silver, and red), mabe she can find a clearanced one for a good price there.

CrabbyBunchX3

Glad to hear a happy update. I hope that they do get the ss2 and that they take the time to use it properly everytime.
Good work Splash:)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
so awful it had to happen this way to wake them up but i'm so glad that it did wake them up!!! And so glad you won't be an aunt again quite yet!

scatterbunny

I'm so glad to hear they seem to "get it" now. :) And great news that everyone is okay after such a horrible crash.

Splash

It was because they were in a pickup that he told he to be thankful he wasn't RF. The glass shattered and would have all landed on him. Also, I imagine, that with a lose and untethered install, he would have hit the back windshield as well. I was never comfortable with him in that seat in the truck RF, because of the windshield. That's why I wanted him in a Britax so it could be tethered.
I'll tell her to look for an SS2 on clearance. I'm concerned about its sheer size (it's a monster) because I don't know what vehicle they're going to end up with, but I'm sure it will be a small SUV, so it *should* fit.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Will they be going through their insurance company to cover the new carseat? I know, nosy question, sorry. Crashed seats and insurance are pet discussion topics for me and I can't resist asking. ;) Glad to hear everyone is doing so well post-crash and to know they have you as their carseat guardian angel.

SPJ&E

That is definitly a happy update...I really hope she sticks to that and gets him a new seat and uses it correctly! I hope she finally understands you are just trying to help and that you know what you're talking about! I'm glad everyone is okay...you should be SO proud of yourself for what you did!

Splash

Yeah, insurance should pay (USAA) but apparently they don't even have the money to front for one. If they were still living closely, I would give them one until they could get the money. She said she wanted a Britax, but she just doesn't have the money to put out for it right now. Even if insurance DOES reimburse her. I don't know why she doesn't ask her parents. I'm wishing now that we would have gone over and given the seat to Pam (she got one from her neighbor) because then she could just keep it until the insurance came up with the money to replace the seat he had.
Even though Britaxes are on sale online, they need one in hand today. They can't wait to get one, so it would $250+ in the store, and apparently she doesn't have the money. She's doing her budget right now to see what they can afford. She just made the truck payment this month, and is wishing she hadn't, because she could have put that $600 into a car seat purchase!
I'm torn on actually fronting them money for the seat. I don't know what I should do. Forward facing, I think they are better off with the SafeSeat than a Britax honestly, so if they can afford that, I'll leave it. If they can only afford $90 or so and it's a choice between the SS2 and a Cargo or something, I'll probably give them the money. If they would put him rear facing, I'd tell them to buy a Scenera today (they really need two seats anyway) and their Marathon would be in the mail tomorrow.
Does anyone have experience with USAA replacing seats? What would she need to do?

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Thanks for sharing the good news, Splash! Its awesome that she actually wanted your opinion on what seat to buy now! Good job!

didymama

if they are short i would say scenera too. easy to install. etcetc. the other $50 could go to saving for a britax

JaRylan

That is great that everyone came out of the accident without serious injuries. Unfortunate that this is what it took for them to realize the importance of a restraining a child properly. The upside to this is that now they want an even safer child seat and appreciate what it is that you did for them. Keep up the good work.

Jacqui

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I am so glad they are all okay and that the baby has a few more weeks (hopefully) to develop. :D

I'm also glad that Jess has decided that the "straps" are better. It is too bad that it took an accident for her to "wake up" about vehicle safety.

Have they actually *called* USAA yet? If they bank with them as well as the auto insurance, there is a good chance they could have the $$ placed in their checking account immediately. I can't guarantee that of course, but USAA is very good about working with their customers and trying to meet individual needs. They are away from home, right? Coming back from a trip? That, and the immediate need for a new carseat to get them home again, might be enough for USAA to make a couple of exceptions for their situation.

Shaunam

It's so great to hear they are taking it more seriously. If it weren't for you, they would have had to learn a VERY hard lesson, rather than just a difficult one. Either way, they would have learned the value of a carseat, but at least they learned the value of a car seat and their son isn't hurt or killed.

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I hope the insurance co. is that accommodating. I doubt however that they would spring for a Britax since they didn't already have one. . .usually insurance only replaces same or similar item / similar cost.

I'd vote for the Scenera - it's only $39 at Walmart. . .A Britax could be the replacement seat for the Intera. Then they'd have 2 good seats that will work for both boys for a long time.

Way to go Splash! I'm glad everyone is okay.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC