Any car/van/truck/suv NOT to get for rear facing Truefit?

paysarah

We're car/van/suv shopping and just wondering if you all have any tips for finding a car that will support rearfacing carseats the longest.

Can you rear face a carseat in a captain's chair?

I'm not too worried about how hard it is to install because we pretty much just put it in and leave it, but right now no one can sit in the passenger's seat of my Corolla because the Truefit takes up so much space.

Thanks!

ADS

moonangel12

Our 00 Suburban is a pain to get seats in, even if you just leave them there. The TF fits OK, but I am not totally comfortable with what I had to do to make it work. Essentially the female ends of the buckles are too long so I had to put 2 towels underneath to raise it up so I could tighten it enough - this is after twisting it to shorten it. Our 01 Chrysler Voyager (now Town and Country) is easier to install in thanks to the latch system, but theres not as much room to work with...

jess71903

Ambassador
Do you have it reclined all the way back? The True Fit can be as upright as 35 degrees (still in rear-facing, recline mode, though) and I've had mine in a Focus comfortably before. I would think it would fit fine in a Corolla.

stephie1012

i have an 08 hyundai entourage (which i love and has awesome crash test ratings) i have no issues with the TF RFing in the captains chair.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We've got one installed in a Yaris sedan and I'm pretty sure that's smaller or similar sized to a Corolla? Anyhoo, ours is behind the passenger side and while the seat can't go all the way back, there's plenty of room for an average sized person.

How old is your child? Older babies/toddlers/pre-schoolers can be more upright rear-facing, and it's actually safer for them to be more upright. The TF can be installed at a 35° angle which gives way more room to the front passenger. I realize you're shopping for a new vehicle now, but this might help you while you're shopping and getting in and out of that Corolla. :)

I know the TF installs fine in an Escape, so if you're going with anything larger than an Escape (pretty much any van, mid-size SUV or larger) you'll be fine.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
1998 Dodge Ram 2400. Great fit, easy install. My finger STILL hurts from trying to loosen the harness. Ouch!

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I had a hard time with the Windstar; the fixed buckle stalks made the latchplate interfere with the lockoff. But, it worked ok if I used a towel/noodle and made it more reclined for a younger kiddo, and LATCh was super easy.

HisMommy414

Hyundai Sonata. My step-dad owns a 2009 Sonata and the seats are almost impossible to install my TF in. Also, 2009 Toyota RAV4. I just took the TF out of it today. There's virtually no center seat. DS doesn't need the upper headrest yet but it was behind the passenger seat and the passenger seat had to be upright and close to the dash. My 5'9" tall step-dad's knees were against the dash with this seat in. The Lower Anchors on the Sonata are really close together. I couldn't install my Boulevard CS in it correctly because of it and when I finally got it installed with the seat belt the car seat still didn't look right so I just took it out. The RAV4's LATCH is better, but it's still pretty hard to get the TF in.

My aunt has a Kia Sedona (not sure of the year but it's pretty new, I'd say 2007 at least). I put the Boulevard in and it worked like a dream. I was three hours away from home so I don't know how the True Fit would've installed but this van is amazing IMO. I want one really bad!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC