TA in Grand Cherokees and Explorers

my2boys

We are looking at getting a 90 something suv - focused right now on Grand Cherokees and Explorers.
What are the TSBs on them as far as retrofitting tether anchors? I think I've read that some years on the Grand Cherokee you can have 2 installed outboard and other years is only 1 center. Is this true? What years?
I want to make sure that whatever vehicle we end up with can have TA in the outboard positions.

Thanks!

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, I'm going to dig out the LATCH manual and type up the service bulletin/program numbers and tether anchor retrofit part details for you. The details also differ a tad depending on whether you're in the U.S. or in Canada, so I'll try to address both locations since I'm not sure where you're located, and it could benefit lurkers in either country who might have similar questions. :)

Ford's tether anchor retrofit program is Ford Program R7C for retrofittable pre-factory equipped 1989-2001 Ford models according to this .pdf document: http://www.car-seat.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=19326&d=1357607813. The program is supposed to cover parts and installation labor in the U.S., and parts only in Canada according to info. recently posted on the CPSPList.

The LATCH manual lists 1996-1999 4-door Ford Explorers as retrofittable in all 3 second row seating positions, and the 1991-1999 2-door Explorer Sport models are retrofittable in the outboard second row positions. The 2-door version doesn't have a second row center seating position at all, only the 2 outboard positions. The Explorer's tether anchor retrofit part number is F17Z 78613D74-A. There are 3 drill dimples in the vehicle floor for installing the tether anchors in the 4-door model, and 2 drill dimples in the 2-door model. 2000 and newer Explorers have factory equipped tether anchors in all second row seating positions.

Chrysler/Jeep's tether anchor retrofit service bulletin is number 23-029-08, and Chrysler/Jeep dealerships can find additional information in the Warranty Service Center (WIC) article #1339. The program covers parts and installation labor in retrofittable models, and I'm not aware of any distinction between U.S. and Canadian locations in honoring the retrofit policy.

According to the LATCH manual, 1993-1998 Grand Cherokees are retrofittable in the second row center seating position using part number 04728952AB, but they're not retrofittable in the outboard positions. This sounds like what you had already heard about.

The 1999-2000 U.S. versions of the Grand Cherokee are not retrofittable in the center, but can be retrofitted in both outboard seating positions using part number 05016869AA for camel trim, or 05016870AA for taupe trim. The 1999-2000 Canadian version Grand Cherokees can also be retrofitted in both outboard seating positions using part number 05016871AA for camel trim, or part number 05016873AA for taupe trim.

If by any chance you're also considering the Jeep Cherokee model instead of or in addition to the Grand Cherokee, while I'm looking at the Jeep section in the LATCH manual, lol, here's the info. for the Cherokee as well. :) 1989-1999 Jeep Cherokees are retrofittable in the second row outboard positions using part number 050034422AB, and the tether anchor points are in the ceiling. Some 2000 model year Cherokees were factory equipped with tether anchors for the outboard seating positions. If it's a pre-factory equipped 2000 model year Cherokee, it can be retrofitted in the outboard locations using part number 05066385AA.

Happy car shopping and hope this helps you out. :)

Last edited:

my2boys

Thank you so very much!
I am in the US but thank you for listing both for any searches later.

One more question - I had read that the cargo hooks can be used as TA in Grand Cherokees. Is this true? On all years?

Thanks again!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
You're welcome. :) I don't see anything in the LATCH manual indicating the cargo hooks can function as tether anchors in Jeeps at all, sorry. The LATCH manual authors are usually pretty thorough at noting such details if it's allowable, so it's most likely not. You might be able to verify that if you can locate the actual owner's manual for the specific Jeep model and model year you're considering. I know Jeep.com has some manuals online at http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html but they unfortunately don't go back earlier than the '04 model year on the Jeep site, and it would be important to check on the specific model year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC