Which would you rather have?

kanga

2003 Kia Sedona LX with 32K miles on it
Or a honda odyssey, Toyota Sienna, T&C or Dodge Caravan with almost 100K miles on it or over

We have 11K to spend on a vehicle, but we were hoping to actually spend about $7K and save the rest.We have a 2007 odyssey EXL right now.

I have seen alot of bad reviews here for the sedona 03. We have a lead on a odyssey but it has over 100K miles on it. New transmission 2K miles ago on it. But i have read the older odysseys have alot of transmission issues. I dont want to get a van that will need costly repairs.

ADS

lynsgirl

Depends on what years the other vans are. The Siennas didn't get their great ratings until the model redesign in 2004. I don't remember what year the Ody changed from bad to good, but I know pre-2000 isn't so great. And I believe you're correct about the 2003 Sedona not being a great pick, safety-wise. 2005 or 2006, I think it changed? So I wouldn't even begin to recommend one over the other w/out knowing the years involved. :twocents: nak

celtic1885

2003 Kia Sedona LX with 32K miles on it
Or a honda odyssey, Toyota Sienna, T&C or Dodge Caravan with almost 100K miles on it or over

We have 11K to spend on a vehicle, but we were hoping to actually spend about $7K and save the rest.We have a 2007 odyssey EXL right now.

I have seen alot of bad reviews here for the sedona 03. We have a lead on a odyssey but it has over 100K miles on it. New transmission 2K miles ago on it. But i have read the older odysseys have alot of transmission issues. I dont want to get a van that will need costly repairs.

The pp had some good points but I do have one question.... It the Oddy you're looking at had a new transmission 2k miles ago, wouldn't that "take care" the older oddy transmission issues?

kanga

If you have an '07 Odyssey, why are you looking at older minivans? Would this be an additional vehicle or a replacement for the '07?

We need no car payments right now. We have two kids in private school and I'm a stay at home mom. We did sell our odyssey and bought a 2005 buick terreza. I love it so far. It feels very safe and sturdy, it has all the features and luxuries of our odyssey. Of course there is nothing like an odyssey but no car payments! I'll take it. lol My husband has his own vehicle.

kanga

Depends on what years the other vans are. The Siennas didn't get their great ratings until the model redesign in 2004. I don't remember what year the Ody changed from bad to good, but I know pre-2000 isn't so great. And I believe you're correct about the 2003 Sedona not being a great pick, safety-wise. 2005 or 2006, I think it changed? So I wouldn't even begin to recommend one over the other w/out knowing the years involved. :twocents: nak

One test drive in the sedona and that was all it took. I hated that thing. I didn't feel very safe in it at all.

sarsah

They Odysseys that had transmission problems were the '04 and older (old body style). I know because I am currently trying to sell a used '02 which does NOT have transmission problems but buyers are avoiding them at all costs.

I would buy an Odyssey in a second, even if it had over 100K on it. I would probably also buy a high-mileage Sienna. I would NOT buy a high mileage Ford, GM or Chrysler product

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
There are lots of 06 and newer sedonas in your price range. I would get one of those. EXCELLENT safety ratings.
here is a listing from cars.com
http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...Id=20144&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&pgId=2102

In the $9-10K range they mostly have 60-80K on them, which means they are out of warranty, but in the $10-11K range, they have 35-45 k, which means you would still have some manufacturer warranty left on them. (Kia is 60K or 5 years, transferable). And remember..you negotiate down, lol. I'd say you coudl probably get an o6 with higher miles/no warranty, for about teh 7-8 you already have in cash.

I would NOT get an older generation kia, it's a completely different beast.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC