Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question Which would you rather have?

2003 Kia Sedona LX with 32K miles on it
    Or a honda odyssey, Toyota Sienna, T&C or Dodge Caravan with almost 100K miles on it or over

We have 11K to spend on a vehicle, but we were hoping to actually spend about $7K and save the rest.We have a 2007 odyssey EXL right now.

I have seen alot of bad reviews here for the sedona 03. We have a lead on a odyssey but it has over 100K miles on it. New transmission 2K miles ago on it. But i have read the older odysseys have alot of transmission issues. I dont want to get a van that will need costly repairs.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Which would you rather have?

Depends on what years the other vans are. The Siennas didn't get their great ratings until the model redesign in 2004. I don't remember what year the Ody changed from bad to good, but I know pre-2000 isn't so great. And I believe you're correct about the 2003 Sedona not being a great pick, safety-wise. 2005 or 2006, I think it changed? So I wouldn't even begin to recommend one over the other w/out knowing the years involved. nak
    Amy Expired (need to recert!) CPST & Mom to 8 great kids, 3 in a seatbelt, 5 in seats

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    2003 Kia Sedona LX with 32K miles on it
    Or a honda odyssey, Toyota Sienna, T&C or Dodge Caravan with almost 100K miles on it or over

We have 11K to spend on a vehicle, but we were hoping to actually spend about $7K and save the rest.We have a 2007 odyssey EXL right now.

I have seen alot of bad reviews here for the sedona 03. We have a lead on a odyssey but it has over 100K miles on it. New transmission 2K miles ago on it. But i have read the older odysseys have alot of transmission issues. I dont want to get a van that will need costly repairs.
    The pp had some good points but I do have one question.... It the Oddy you're looking at had a new transmission 2k miles ago, wouldn't that "take care" the older oddy transmission issues?
    CPST & Mom to 3 great daughters
    DDM 20 yrs EMTbasic; Seatbelt
    DDK 1/10/06 54# Cybex X-Fix-booster - doing GREAT
    DDG 7/10/07 43# FF RE
    "You know you're healing when your sadness no longer affects your happiness" anon

What's up doc!? I brought carrots to the soup. You?

Carseat Crazy

If you have an '07 Odyssey, why are you looking at older minivans? Would this be an additional vehicle or a replacement for the '07?

Quote Originally Posted by LuvMyGirls View Post
    If you have an '07 Odyssey, why are you looking at older minivans? Would this be an additional vehicle or a replacement for the '07?
    We need no car payments right now. We have two kids in private school and I'm a stay at home mom. We did sell our odyssey and bought a 2005 buick terreza. I love it so far. It feels very safe and sturdy, it has all the features and luxuries of our odyssey. Of course there is nothing like an odyssey but no car payments! I'll take it. lol My husband has his own vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by lynsgirl View Post
    Depends on what years the other vans are. The Siennas didn't get their great ratings until the model redesign in 2004. I don't remember what year the Ody changed from bad to good, but I know pre-2000 isn't so great. And I believe you're correct about the 2003 Sedona not being a great pick, safety-wise. 2005 or 2006, I think it changed? So I wouldn't even begin to recommend one over the other w/out knowing the years involved. nak
    One test drive in the sedona and that was all it took. I hated that thing. I didn't feel very safe in it at all.

They Odysseys that had transmission problems were the '04 and older (old body style). I know because I am currently trying to sell a used '02 which does NOT have transmission problems but buyers are avoiding them at all costs.

I would buy an Odyssey in a second, even if it had over 100K on it. I would probably also buy a high-mileage Sienna. I would NOT buy a high mileage Ford, GM or Chrysler product

Senior Community Member jujumum's Avatar

Not on your list, but for that limited amount of $, I'd rather have a 2004-2006 Mazda MPV.

Lisa
    DD2 - 9 yrs,, TB lbb/Affix, DS2 - 7 yrs, Chicco Kitfit, TBSS Affix
    DD1 & DS1 safely using adult seat belts (18 yrs & 15 yrs)

There are lots of 06 and newer sedonas in your price range. I would get one of those. EXCELLENT safety ratings.
    here is a listing from cars.com
    http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...MENT&pgId=2102

In the $9-10K range they mostly have 60-80K on them, which means they are out of warranty, but in the $10-11K range, they have 35-45 k, which means you would still have some manufacturer warranty left on them. (Kia is 60K or 5 years, transferable). And remember..you negotiate down, lol. I'd say you coudl probably get an o6 with higher miles/no warranty, for about teh 7-8 you already have in cash.

I would NOT get an older generation kia, it's a completely different beast.

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017