New Radian Info

tl01

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet... but I just spoke with someone at SKJP and she said the difference in the LATCH is not that it is rigid LATCH but that it has a higher strength connector, steel weave webbing, and an easy tightening belt adjuster. Also, she said that if you car was built after 2005 then you can use the LATCH until 65 or 80lbs depending upon your seat but not dependent upon the car. She said that LATCH was changed in all cars after 2005. Can anyone confirm this? If someone already posted this.. please ignore:)

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'm not sure if anyone has posted this yet... but I just spoke with someone at SKJP and she said the difference in the LATCH is not that it is rigid LATCH but that it has a higher strength connector, steel weave webbing, and an easy tightening belt adjuster. Also, she said that if you car was built after 2005 then you can use the LATCH until 65 or 80lbs depending upon your seat but not dependent upon the car. She said that LATCH was changed in all cars after 2005. Can anyone confirm this? If someone already posted this.. please ignore:)

really?
Seriously..can anyone confirm this?
I can't WAIt to see if SKJP actually makes a formal public announcement saying you can use their carseats up to 65/80 with LATCH, REGARDLESS of the car manufacturers instructions...that would be....:eek:

tl01

I was surprised too. She went to her notes and said they had just spoken about this yesterday. I had never heard this. I have owned the same brand of car for some time and the manual always said 40 lbs. I assumed the new one would too... but I'm going to go get my manual now to check.

emandbri

I haven't heard of anything like that, wouldn't apply to me though since my van is a 2004 and we will have it for a very long time.

tl01

Well, it the LATCH portion of my manual I cannot find any info about weight limit. It does say that "Children too big for a toddler restraint must ride in seats using regular seat belts. Position shoulder belt across chest and shoulder, not face or neck. A booster may be necessary to achieve proper seat belt positioning for children over 41 lbs until the reach a height where a lap/shoulder belt fits properly without a booster. Install child seat according to manufacturer's instructions."

They act as though no one would use a "toddler" seat after 41 lbs... hence LATCH wouldn't be used after that point... but it does say to follow manufacturer's instructions.

tl01

Does anyone have a 2005 or later vehicle that still has a weight restriction listen in the manual? I'll admit I didn't read that portion of my manual when I purchased this car b/c it is 99% the same as my other car... and I was using a seat belt install anyway b/c DS was almost to the 40 lbs weight limit.

Maedze

The LATCH manual lists all American vehicles through 2009 and they didn't suddenly change the weight limits in 2005. Weight limits tend to be brand specific. (IE, Fords are all 48, Hondas are all 40, Hyundais have always been unlisted/defer to the child restraint manufacturer).

tl01

The LATCH manual lists all American vehicles through 2009 and they didn't suddenly change the weight limits in 2005. Weight limits tend to be brand specific. (IE, Fords are all 48, Hondas are all 40, Hyundais have always been unlisted/defer to the child restraint manufacturer).

Right.. but she said that all LATCH was changed to follow the car seat manufacturers guidelines and for their seats it is 65 or 80 lbs. Strange!!

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
That's pretty big talk even for SK. I'm calling BS.

uh..ya..that's like SKJP transferring all liability for failure to THEM in the event of a wreck.....talk about huge, ugly, nasty cesspool of legal hoo-ha.
It doesn't make any sense for them to willingly take on that liability......:confused:
I want to HEAR/SEE this announcement made public before thinking too much more about it.

Maedze

Right.. but she said that all LATCH was changed to follow the car seat manufacturers guidelines and for their seats it is 65 or 80 lbs. Strange!!

It's simply not true! If I go to the store and buy a brand new 2010 Ford whatever, it will say in the manual that I must discontinue LATCH at 48 pounds and switch to seat belt install!

crunchierthanthou

It's simply not true! If I go to the store and buy a brand new 2010 Ford whatever, it will say in the manual that I must discontinue LATCH at 48 pounds and switch to seat belt install!

no. a 2010 Ford will say to use both seatbelt and lower anchors over 48 lbs. we're still trying to sort out if they really mean that (not to mention it depends on what the carseat says). :rolleyes:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
no. a 2010 Ford will say to use both seatbelt and lower anchors over 48 lbs. we're still trying to sort out if they really mean that (not to mention it depends on what the carseat says).

:rolleyes:
so..i think what they're really trying to do is make us all insane.

i mean..parents alread have solittle confidence in us, and thenpon top of it, we have to spout crazy stuff like..in this vehicle, do this, butonly with this seat, with this seat, you have to do this, and ignore that height limit over there, but see here, this weight is set in stone, and never use both latch and seatbelt, except your stupid friggin manual tells you to, and you have to use theis lockoff, even though it RUINS your install, but on this seat it's optional, and no, you can't use this seat with the headrest in that position, and that seat over there has to have the handle down when driving but on this one you can use 3 of 5 positions but not the other 2 and this padding has to be removed when your kid is above this weight and in your honda you have to discontinue latch use now, but in your ford you can keep using it, except now this new seat says you can keep using it in you honda too but you need to follow both your manuals, although they Contradict each other.......

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

Is it any wonder?
really?

Maedze

no. a 2010 Ford will say to use both seatbelt and lower anchors over 48 lbs. we're still trying to sort out if they really mean that (not to mention it depends on what the carseat says). :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I forgot :ROTFLMAO:

Ok, well, substitute out any other vehicle with a known, printed LATCH limit :D

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, LATCH didn't change in 2005. That's nuts.

The description of the XTSL said that you never have to use the seatbelt (for vehicles equipped with LATCH). Didn't specify the year.

But in any case, I'm still wondering how they're going to pull this off.

Like I said in another post on the blow-your-mind thread, my understanding is that it is, indeed, the LATCH connectors that will fail before the LATCH anchors. And we all know that the (current stated) weight limits on LATCH anchors are pretty arbitrary, based on when car seats didn't go over 40 lbs, and used to protect vehicle manufacturers from liability.

But that doesn't mean we can suddenly tell people to ignore their stated limits. Now if Sunshine Kids wants to take on that liability, good for them.

(On a side note, I've said it before and I'll say it again: As far as I'm concerned, Honda has no limit. Yes, the LATCH Manual says it's 40 lbs. Yes, I have talked to a Honda engineer who says it's 40 lbs. But their manuals state NOTHING and even encourage people to use LATCH. If you call customer service, you're just as likely to get a "48-lbs" answer or a "defer to the car seat" answer as you are to get 40 lbs. Even a CS supervisor who supposedly checked with engineering told me that. So what is an average parent supposed to think? Are they supposed to listen to their vehicle manufacturer or take the word of some third-party publication?)

(Sorry to rant about LATCH, but the SK thing sort of begs the question.)

(FTR, I have two Hondas and I don't use LATCH past 40 lbs in either.)

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Yeah, LATCH didn't change in 2005. That's nuts.

The description of the XTSL said that you never have to use the seatbelt (for vehicles equipped with LATCH). Didn't specify the year.

But in any case, I'm still wondering how they're going to pull this off.

Like I said in another post on the blow-your-mind thread, my understanding is that it is, indeed, the LATCH connectors that will fail before the LATCH anchors. And we all know that the (current stated) weight limits on LATCH anchors are pretty arbitrary, based on when car seats didn't go over 40 lbs, and used to protect vehicle manufacturers from liability.

But that doesn't mean we can suddenly tell people to ignore their stated limits. Now if Sunshine Kids wants to take on that liability, good for them.

(On a side note, I've said it before and I'll say it again: As far as I'm concerned, Honda has no limit. Yes, the LATCH Manual says it's 40 lbs. Yes, I have talked to a Honda engineer who says it's 40 lbs. But their manuals state NOTHING and even encourage people to use LATCH. If you call customer service, you're just as likely to get a "48-lbs" answer or a "defer to the car seat" answer as you are to get 40 lbs. Even a CS supervisor who supposedly checked with engineering told me that. So what is an average parent supposed to think? Are they supposed to listen to their vehicle manufacturer or take the word of some third-party publication?)

(Sorry to rant about LATCH, but the SK thing sort of begs the question.)

(FTR, I have two Hondas and I don't use LATCH past 40 lbs in either.)

I understand your reasoning but trust the authors of the LATCH manual far more than CS folks at Honda.

AtTheSouthDam

I have a 2007 Ford and I am pretty sure it states 48 lbs in the manual. Even if I could continue using the LATCH past that safely it won't matter unless they have changed that darn RF boot! I cannot get a decently upright seat using LATCH:(
If they changed that then I will buy one :D

tl01

Right... I get it. I stop using LATCH at 40 in my car and educatey friends about the existence of LATCH limits. I was just clarifying what she said. I was incredulous and had her repeat it.

menfusse

What about Jeep? I don't remember reading a weight limit on the lower anchors, but that doesn't mean I didn't. My kid is far enough away that I didn't give it much thought. I have an 08 Commander. Does Jeep have a default weight limit or a defer to the car seat or what? Not that I'm buying a new Radian, as my XT is only a few months old. Though if they truly are as light as they say they are compared to our current...I'll grumble under my breath for the next several years.

On a side not, unrelated...does anybody know if they new covers will fit existing XT's? I like a couple of them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC