bike trailer as stroller?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I see that some of the bike trasilers convert into strollers. What do you guys think of them? This one http://www.target.com/Schwinn-Turbo-Bike-Trailer-SC775/dp/B00007CWJ9 is on sale at my local target. I don't really need a bike trailer, but am currently unhappy with my double stroller options, and this seemed like maybe a good option? If you remember my earlier thread, I'm essentially looking for a pushable wagon, something the kids can sit and play in, but not necesarily be in a "seat" like you are in a double stroller. Just more free to move and stuff, jump in and out, like in a wagon. Well...there are no wagons that push. but this is sort of like a wagon, and it pushes.

so..am i insane? It does seem really wide...would i be able to push it through stores? Are they just awful?

ADS

Helen

Well, I needed to take two toddlers shopping yesterday and I used my bike trailer as a stroller for the first time. It is a Schwinn... I think the same one in your link.

pros -
Handle is nice and tall
pushes easily, even if it doesn't turn on a dime
room in the back for groceries - and while I was in the store, I was able to put the shopping basket in the back to load up.
Holds 2 kids, a container juice, a full gallon of ice cream, apples, bananas, and a 6pack of beer :thumbsup:

cons-
There were a few glitches... first, it doesn't have brakes and it's made to roll :p so you have to kind of park it sideways.
Second, that front wheel sticks out quite a bit... I knocked over a display when I took it to the supermarket. That was my own clumsiness, but it is a big honking stroller. No way you'd be navigating clothing racks. Also, with the way it sits, you can't just pick up the handle and hitch it over sideways. You basically have to parallel park if you need to move to the side of the aisle, for example.
Third, the front wheel is pretty tough but it can get stuck in the sideways position (sort of like a shopping cart). But that only happened to me when I was on unusually rough terrain (tree roots, rocks sticking out, over 100lbs worth of stuff in it between the kids and the groceries.) I had more than the weight limit loaded into it, and that DID cause the handle to start to loosen. But I wasn't using it according to its intended use so :eek:
Last, as you can imagine, it doesn't fold down easily (it will fold down small-ish but it involves unscrewing stuff.)

I should probably say that I don't use strollers much anyway. I mean, I have one, but I use it maybe 3 times a year. My son either walks or I use a baby carrier. So I'm a bit of an amateur at stroller pushing.

It was perfect for me, though, since I mostly use it as a bike trailer, yet had it available as a double stroller the one time I needed it. As a bike trailer, my son's been plenty comfy in it for 2+ hours. With two kids, space can be tight, and it is a cloth seat so they both sink toward the center a little.

Anyway, it's as you suspected. A bear to push in tight spaces, okay otherwise.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC