Calling allergy moms!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Evan is losing weight and our goal was close to a # GAIN by Ilana's 4 mos appt or he's back on formula. He's down 10ozs in a month so I know we're not doing well. He can't have dairy, soy, nuts of any kind, and we don't do seafood either. I just bought some coconut milk to put in his rice milk and I've been adding olive oil when I can, but I can try harder I'm sure. I never had to worry about this w/ AJ so I'm not very good at it. Any ideas at all? Do you think extra protein would help in his milk (we used rice protein powder for AJ for a while)? He's a good eater so that's not a problem, it's just making sure he gets enough calories/fat I guess to keep him gaining, at least maintaining. Would a call to his nutritionist help?

ADS

Splash

I'd just give her a call just to be on the safe side.
I use brown rice syrup in a lot of stuff, that is high calorie (uh, I think!) and might work. I know you've tried avocado... how about coconut oil as a supplement? It's very high fat.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We actually haven't tried avacado in a while, I bought one last night to try today. He loves salsa, so maybe I can get him to each guacamole if he wont' eat it plain. :) What would I do w/ the coconut oil? That's the stuff that comes in a blob in a jar right? lol Good description, huh? I wonder if I still have any brown rice syrup, I know I had some from when I was on the TED.

didymama

shot in the dark, but can he do goat's milk? just a thought. what about eggs? they can help put weight on iirc. what about just coconut milk?

btw-splash ADORABLE PIC!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Something like 92% of kids who are allergic to cow milk will also react to goat milk, so I wouldn't recommend going that route. I'm guessing he's not getting any human milk, either? I would definitely call the nutritionist, especially if she knows her stuff (so many are totally on the, "Cow milk or die," bandwagon that it's scary!). The goal is to get him all the nutrients & calories he needs, and weight is only one way to measure that (and mostly only measures the calories). FoodLab is another good resource.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
No, no human milk. I weaned him to rx formula at 12 mos b/c I was only eating 4 foods. It was hard to do the diet and hard to wean. :( I'm not renursing him b/c I know Evan, he'd bite me. lol I don't own a pump either and Ilana needs all the milk she can get right now (she's tiny too).

I have a call into his nutritionist so we'll see what she says. She should have his chart there so can see he was very intolerant and on rx formula etc so should know not to reccomend dairy or anything like that.

He does like eggs, but will only eat them every few days or so or he gets 'burned' out on them.

Rebecca, I would love your guac recipe. I love it myself, but have never made it and the mixes you find in the store all have milk in them. He can have everything you listed. He goes nuts when I bring out the salsa so I bet he'd like this too.

Splash

We actually haven't tried avacado in a while, I bought one last night to try today. He loves salsa, so maybe I can get him to each guacamole if he wont' eat it plain. :) What would I do w/ the coconut oil? That's the stuff that comes in a blob in a jar right? lol Good description, huh? I wonder if I still have any brown rice syrup, I know I had some from when I was on the TED.

A mom I know put coconut oil in smoothies. She made REALLY hig fat/high calorie smoothies for her kids. However she also used cream, which he can't have.

Will he do a smoothie? Definitely try throwing some coconut oil in one (yes, it's a blob in a tub) and see if he takes it. Otherwise, could you give him formula? Charlie did Vivonex for quite some time, and though it is ungodly expensive, it did the trick. Maybe you could find a way to make a formula smoothie (could he do neocate? At least it's cheaper and sometimes availale OTC) with coconut oil and fresh fruit palatable. Or a carob and coconut milk shake with formula powder? Ugh, I gag at the though, but you don't know until you try!

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
We could do formula, but we were trying to do this w/ food. He just got off his Elecare 2 mos ago.

Well, the nutritionist called and suggested a little formula too. I think we'll do just the food till Ilana's gi appt on the 16th and then weigh him again and see if we should start the formula.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
He normally eats well at all 3 meals and then a snack after dinner, sometimes during the day. Maybe I'll try feeding him more often too. It's hard to balance more fat for him, not too much for AJ, and they have different food options open to them as do I. Whew!

LuvBug

try feeding him every 2-3 hours with higher natural fat foods.
What foods does he normally eat right now?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
He's actually not picky so he'll eat anything for the most part. Meats, eggs, potatos (loves any kind of white potato), fruit snacks, lol. For breakfast it's usually cereal and fruit, lunch is anything from a hot dog to a sunbutter sandwich w/ chips to leftovers, dinner is a meat usually and a side, some rice maybe. He likes pasta. I'm just really bad at variety.

skaterbabs

My guac recipe doesn't really qualify as "real", but it's a quick substitue when we're really hungry and I need to get my sugar levels stablized (I tend to have too little fat in my diet, so the fat helps stablize the sugar counts.)

take 1 avacado, 2 cloves of garlic (diced), about a tablespoon red wine vinegar (or whatever acidic substance you have on hand), salt & pepper to taste. Mush it all up well and eat. ;)

Michi

Can he have sunflower seeds?
My DS ( peanut allergic) got really tired of soy nut butter, and our doctor recommended sunflower butter. HE LOVES it! ...So do I!!! We use it for sandwiches, a spread on crackers, in baking, etc. - and it's peanut, nut and soy free.

didymama

though of 2 thinkgs we use at work to keep weight on people=eggnog and mashed potatoes. i work with the elderly and we have found that this is great for the folks that loost weight quick and don't eat.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Eggnog is out, but he loves potatos! I should make some mashed and see if he'll eat them.

We use a lot of Sunbutter too. He calls it peanut butter b/c AJ gets pb at grandma's. :) He'll eat almost 1/2 a sandwich w/ it. I tried to make sunbutter squares once and ended up w/ sunbutter covered cereal. lol He loved it though.

LEAW

2nd the foodlab group! It's awesome. tons of great ideas and mamas there.

Make icecream with full-fat coconut milk, throw any oil/fat you can in his food (bacon? skin on chicken legs?), etc.

Guac (w/o really making guac!) - I take an avocado or a few, add some of trader joe's fresh mild salsa, sometimes some black beans for extra protein, dd scarfs it down.

LuvBug

Sounds like he eats normal and is getting good nutrition. Maybe you shouldnt worry to hard about the few ounces lost? DS fluctuated 2-3 whole pounds between 24 and 32 month going from 31 to 34 to 31 to 33, but he was getting what he needed and was healthy. He still does it now, fluctuating from 36-38lbs. To me, for 2yo his weight might sound light, but for his height it is normal. DS was 23lbs and 32" right before a year. That is one reason I dont like to watch weight as much.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC