Nautilus harness rubbing neck?

ADS

Maedze

We use the shoulder pads. The harness is snug, but DS has never complained as long as the pads are on.

::er!ca::

We use the harness pads too, and have no issues. But someone else on another site was complaining about it leaving red marks, so I wondered if this was a common issue. She said she talked with a CPST who told her a lot of people have that complaint, and that if it touched the child's neck it would cause life threatening injuries in an accident. And she also said that he, this CPST at her local police station, called Graco about the issue and Graco said it can not touch the neck.

Oh, and she said she is using the covers on the harness, and they *sometimes* leave a red mark.

Maedze

Someone is lying, misrepresenting their credentials, exaggerating a story, misunderstanding facts or in other ways passing on information that is not related to the truth. :rolleyes:

::er!ca::

Someone is lying, misrepresenting their credentials, exaggerating a story, misunderstanding facts or in other ways passing on information that is not related to the truth. :rolleyes:

I completely had this feeling ;) That's why I came here :p Because for a split second I thought that feeling had to be wrong since it was coming from someone on a very strict AP parenting forum (if that doesn't give the site away!) and surely they weren't going to do that. :whistle:

Maedze

You can share that Graco actually designed the harness to lie very close to the neck because parents are so bad about properly tightening the harness. This reduces the risk that the shoulder straps will slide off the arms and keep the child from being ejected in an accident, if the parent doesn't properly tighten the harness all the way.

NannyMom

J almost always has red marks because he took his pads off. But he never notices them unless I ask if his neck hurts (and the answer is always no)

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
We use the harness covers and no complaints from dd unless I forget to slide them to the right place before tightening the harness. :eek:

The harness pads are a good length, so if positioned properly I don't think the harness should be rubbing on the neck.

And for the record, I'm in complete agreement with Maedze's assessment of that story about the straps rubbing on the neck etc. Sounds like a tall tale or someone severely getting their wires crossed and misunderstanding what was being said. It's not like the straps are holding the neck back - it's the shoulders that are going to be pressed in to the harness in a collision. So how the straps being close to the neck could cause neck injury I'd love to know. :rolleyes:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I already posted to that thread, but yeah someone is full of it. I don't see how the straps wouldn't touch the neck, unless you have an infinite adjust harness and adjujsted it exactly to where it laid on the collarbone and not a smidge above.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Yes, the straps are very close togerther and do cut uncomfortably into dd's neck, which is why I feel okay in making the parental choice to allow her to have her chest clip a little low, as this allows the straps to be further away from each other and much more comfortable, without sacrificing safety since the straps are still correctly positioned and tightened down.
I too smell the distinct aroma of prevarication...........

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC