Trouble Installing Radian 65 in CRV

AmyL9

Hi. Hoping someone can help. As I write, my husband is installing our new Radian65 in my 2003 Honda CRV. I wanted him to try installing it with and without the latch since after 48 lbs you cant use it with the Latch. Without using the Latch the top of the seat is very secure but at the bottom the seat easily moves around. When he tried installing the same seat in his older Honda Accord it was not like this but his back seat is more angled where in my CRV the seats are flat. Is this safe?

It will take my DD a long time to get to 48 lbs (she is 3.5yo, 31 lbs and 40 inches) so she may actually outgrow the seat before we reach 48 lbs but would like to know it can be used if we still need it at that point...

Any opinions? Maybe get the Regent for my car and keep the Radian for his? (Plus we use my car more anyway.)

Thanks for any advice!

Amy

ADS

Dillipop

The radian at the belt path can not move more than an inch. IF it moves more than an inch, you need to reinstall the seat to try to get less movement or try the seat in a different position. When I installed the radian in my mom's accord, it took me nearly 30 minutes to get it tight, with all my weight and wiggling and every trick I could think of to get the seat in so it didn't move at the belt path.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, try the LATCH (NOT in the center seating position, it's not approved there), my dd was your dd's size and is 48 inches and 45 pounds at age 7, and *just* too tall for the Radian now :). But also, recline the CR-V seatback a whole lot, then install the seat as tight as you can, then PULL the seatback back upright to get a rock solid install...that's my favorite cr-v trick :)

AmyL9

Thank you both for the advice. When my husband used the latch it is in there very solidly and doesn't move. I wanted to make sure it can be used without the latch for when she's over 48 lbs and the fit is definitely not right. He is going to try it again (despite all the cuts it gave me on his hands!)

Another question -- We have the harness in the top height slot as the manual said it should be at or above the shoulders. At the middle slot it's really just at the shoulders or maybe a tiny bit below. I measured my daughter and from what I can tell from a wiggling 3.5 yo she is 41", legs(measuring toes to hip bone) she's 22" and torso is 10" (hip bone to top of shoulder) and then top of shoulder to top of head 9". So, does this sound right that she would be at the top slot already?? Seems like maybe she's between the middle and the top slots so didnt know if one was safer than the other?

And.... If I give up on the Radian and just get the Regent instead should it fit fine with the Honda CRV? I would have to order in on line so just wanted to be sure.

Thanks again!!

Amy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Actually, since the CRV is a Honda, you can't use the LATCH or tether anchors after 40 pounds.

I drive a Honda too and was NOT PLEASED to find out about the 40 pound weight limit. I don't really care about not using the lower anchors after 40 pounds, but I want to be able to use the tether!

Best of luck!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It's ok to keep using the top tether even after 40 pounds. I don't have the link handy, but the risk of anchor failure is phenomenally low, and heavier children need the protection of the top tether more than ever. www.saferidenews.com has a page on it, which is the link I don't have, but it explains the situation in great detail so you can make an informed decision.

:)

AmyL9

joolsplus3: My husband just tried the seat again without the Latch using your trick about reclining the seat and it totally worked! Thank You!! (We didnt even realize that the backseat reclined!) I think the Radian will work for us.

Any advice about if my daughter should be at the top or middle height slot? (see previous post) Thanks, you all are soooo helpful!

Patriot20171: I hadn't heard that about Honda's with the 40 lb weight limit. I just looked in our owner's manual and it didnt give any weight guidelines with the tethers. I will read Joolsplus' link and do yet more research! At least I have 9 pounds to go before worrying about that too much!

Thanks again,
Amy

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sorry, missed the slot height part (glad the recline trick worked! Even before I was a total carseat geek, I wrote an Epinion on my CR-V saying that was the best reason to buy that car, lol). It should definitely be at or above, if it seems below at any time, then move it up. Fortunately, kids tend to sprout long legs at this age, and it could still be another 18 months to 2 years before she creeps above the top slots and is really too tall for the seat.

AmyL9

Julie, great thank you! My husband will be happy with that response so I won't make him go out there again! :)

Yikes, I was really hoping to get a little more out of the seat than 18mo - 2years. She has always been tall.. I'm still on the fence about keeping the Radian for my husband's Accord which my daughter travels less in and getting a Regent for my car. Since she is my only child (and we wont be having more) I'm really not sure how long I want to keep her in this seat. I know I'll get a bit more time out of the Regent.... Any thoughts?

Thanks so much again!!

Amy

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It's ok to keep using the top tether even after 40 pounds. I don't have the link handy, but the risk of anchor failure is phenomenally low, and heavier children need the protection of the top tether more than ever. www.saferidenews.com has a page on it, which is the link I don't have, but it explains the situation in great detail so you can make an informed decision.

Ooh!! Good to know! THANK YOU!!!! :)
I don't really care about the lower anchors, but I do want to be able to use the top tether. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

When I asked about the tether limit before, I was told that I had to follow the same limit as the lower anchors have. I am SO glad to know that may not be true!

AmyL9--- Honda doesn't put the weight limits in their manual, which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Also, when you call them, some of the people at Honda Motor seem to know about the weight limits while others don't. It is the most ridiculous thing. Apparently, unless you are on a board like this one, you wouldn't know about the anchor weight limits.
Isn't that crazy?!?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Even a tall kid will get probably 2-3 years longer in a Regent than the Radian... it fits average kids till age 8-11, the Radian so far has been fitting kids to age 5-7.

AmyL9

Ok, one last question! I promise! My poor husband I've made him install the Radian so many different ways. The last time he installed it he used the seatbelt and the tether and it seems really solid. I am happy with the fit. But, is it safter to use the LATCH? Should I make him re-install it with the LATCH? Or does it matter? She is 31 lbs.

You may recall that I was going back and forth debating if we should get a second Radian for our second car or get the Regent. After seeing several pics that people posted here I think I'm going with the Radiant. The inability to see out the rear window with the Regent scares me!

Thanks again, I can't tell you how helpful you all have been!!!

Amy

mamato2

LATCH is not safer than a seat belt (unless you can not get a satisfactory install with seatbelt but can with LATCH). It was developed to make an 'easier' and more standard install.
If you've got a great install with the seat belt, I'd leave well enough alone!
I'm so glad the seat is working out for you,
C.
P.S.We LOVE,LOVE , LOVE our Huskys, but in the van the one seat does block a good bit of my rear view. In the Camry it sits down nice and low and is not a problem.

AmyL9

Mamato2: Thank you!! Appreciate the feedback and my husband will be happy that he doesnt have to reinstall the seat once again! :)
Hmmm, I wonder how the Regent would be in my husband's Accord? More food for thought! It's funny how the car seat choices when my daughter was a baby seemed much simplier!
Anyway, thanks again.... Amy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC