Some questions about straps (w/pics)

honeybee03

Since coming to this board, I have started to be more paranoid about if certain things are ok or not.
I will be getting a new seat in a couple weeks, so I know it is kind of silly to be asking these now, but there is always a chance we could wreck until then (especially since we are going on a trip).
Also, I will be giving this seat to a friend, and I want to make sure I'm showing her how to use it right as well.

My first question: I know that the straps aren't supposed to be twisted, but what about if they bunch? Mine always bunch where the clips are when I tighten the straps. I try to flatten them out, but the as soon as I let go they get pulled back to being bunched. My DH says I have the straps too tight, which I didn't think you could have them "too tight"
Here are some pics:
Pictures187.jpg

Pictures189.jpg

In these pics it isn't too bad, but usually she squirms around a lot, and that's when they really get bunched.

My other question: I have the kind that adjusts in the back. I often have to adjust the straps because depending on whether or not dd is in a cloth or paper diaper, it can vary by several inches. We leave the carseat in the base because in order to take it out, we have to move both front seats ahead. I can *just* reach the straps to pull them tight. Well the thing I'm not sure about, is there is this little bar on the strap buckle thing that slides up and down. When I pull on the straps, it pulls the bar most of the way down to the bottom to pinch the straps. Well, I don't know if that's good enough, or if I need to manually pull the little bar all the way down to the bottom?
Like I said, I can pull the straps tight w/o moving the seats forward, but I can't get at that little bar to pull it all the way down.
So it pulling the straps good enough, or do I need to pull the little bar down too?
Here is a pic:
Pictures190.jpg

Sorry if these seem like stupid questions....and TIA!!

ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
The pictures are a big help to show what you are asking. I think the bunching and the buckle look fine. If the strap was folded over or otherwise not as flat as it could be, then there might be a problem. The bar in the back of your seat that is apart of the tightening/loosening mechanism will automatically cinch down when any pressure is applied to the harness. As long as her straps don't fail the pinch test and you don't have a heavy jacket or snowsuit on her, they will also be fine. Good job with being so vigilant on how you put her in and how the harness looks on her. Many parents never stop to ask the questions you are asking, much less know there could be an issue with those types of things. Happy holidays, glad you found us here at car-seat.org :)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The straps on a lot of carseats do that-- bunch up a little bit at the buckles. It is fine.

Like Jen said, as long as the harness straps are laying as flat as possible, it is okay if they "bunch" a little bit. IN fact, there sometimes is no way to prevent that.

You are doing a great job! :)

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Again, you're doing great. However, the chest clip looks a little high to me (it might just be the angle of the photo). The proper position for it is even with the arm pits. Once it's there, you shouldn't have as much of a bunching problem because the straps are going in at a straighter angle.

honeybee03

Thanks Jen! I check the straps to make sure they are tight enough, and I never have more than a thin shirt on her (then I put on a backwards jacket and blanket over the top)

Shellebelle~ I didn't know I could have the chest clip too high! I always heard not too make sure it was too low, so I basically put it so it isn't choking her, lol.
What can happen if its too high?

I will attach some pics I took at the same time as the others that are at some different angles:

Pictures186.jpg

Pictures185.jpg

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The new pictures help clarify that the chest clip looks like it might be a *smidge* too high, but it is not bad! :)
It looks fairly level with your baby's armpits. It might be just a *smidge* too high.

It looks like you are doing a great job!!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You said you are getting a new seat? Do you know which seat you are planning to buy?

It sounds like you have a good knowledge base of carseat safety, so it may seem silly to remind you of a few things when purchasing a convertible carseat for you baby, but I will mention them *just in case* you need a reminder. :p :)

1) IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, look for a 5-point harness carseat that has a front harness adjuster (I am not sure they even make convertibles with rear harness adjusters anymore, but you never know!).

2) IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, look for a convertible with either a 33 or 35-pound rear-facing weight limit (this eliminates Graco and Evenflo). This will give your baby extra time to rear-face.

3) IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, leave your baby rear-facing until she outgrows the rear-facing capacity of the carseat. She may be around age two when she outgrows the seat, or she might be around age four. If you can, leave her rear-facing as long as you can.

4) IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, look for convertible carseat with a harness adjuster that is located pretty high "up" on the seat. This will prevent the harness adjuster from getting buried against the vehicle seat, which makes it VERY difficult, if not impossible to adjust the harness.

Keep up the good work!!! :)

honeybee03

Thanks, I will make sure to lower the chest clip a little bit :)
Thanks for all the pointers! I already ordered a seat, here is a link to the one I bought:
http://www.specialtybaby.com/brbococarsei1.html
Its a little pricey, but that's actually the lowest price I have been able to find after a couple months of looking. And I feel really good about this seat- any price is worth my baby's safety.
I was looking at a Sunshine Kids Radian, but I was afraid it wouldn't fit in my car and it didn't have those side impact wings that this one does.

It has a RF limit of 33 pounds, which I plan on keeping her RFing that long :D

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's great that you are getting the Britax Boulevard!!!

My mother has a Boulevard in her car. My 10-month-old niece uses it when my mom takes care of her. It is GREAT!!! That niece rides in a Marathon in her mom's car and a Roundabout in her dad's car. My other niece rides in Marathons in each car. Can you tell that we are a Britax family? :)

The Boulevard is a great seat. I hope you enjoy it!! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC