Air travel with kids and car seats?

Stacey

We plan on doing a family trip as our Christmas gift rather than accumulating more crap in our small house! I have a 4 year old and 6 year old in Radians so I'll pick up some straps and we should be good to put them on the plane.

I will have a newborn..we'll probably wait until Jan to go so the baby should be a month or more. I have a snugride car seat and will be buying a Radian for this baby too once I know the gender. What is the best scenario for the baby? Would it be easier to have them in a car seat or a sling since so small? I will be making sure it's a direct (or as direct as we can get..not sure where we're going) and no more than 3-4 hour flight.

ADS

vonfirmath

Car seat. You can't wear the baby in the sling during takeoff and landing, and you will need the car seat on the other end anyway.

And baby in infant seat that snaps into a stroller is the very easiest combination for airplane travelling (though you will still need to fold it all up and put it through the scanner at security, so take that sling for wearing the baby at that point! -- and make sure its a sling that has no metal)

IF you are going to gate check the car seat (it is recommended to buy a separate seat for the baby and put the baby in that seat as much as possible on the plane), make sure you take everything off of both car seat and stroller that is not permanently attached (Canopy, cup holders, etc.) Assume that everything that might come off in the loading process, will.

oxeye

I'd use the car seat on the plane. What works nicely in the airport, in my experience, though is to carry the baby in a sling and use the car seat stroller combination as a place to put your carry-ons while you are going through the airport.

If you do buy a Radian for the baby, I wouldn't use it on the plane. I've been told they don't fit RF. :( I was planning to use a Radian for my DS on a trip coming up but now I'm planning to bring his infant seat instead.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC