Which seat to buy/use in USA then maybe bring back to Oz?

Ozgal

We will be travelling from Australia to the US in a few weeks with our 2 yo DD.

I need advice on which carseat my mom should buy for us to use in her car in Arizona and then on the plane to use in Michigan. I am also half considering bringing it back to use in Australia upon our return.

Initially, my thought was to get a Cosco since they're cheap and RF up to 35 lb apparently. (Though I just had to turn DD FF since reaching the max weight limit on her Aussie seat, and she will not be happy RF again). I've heard they're slim and fit well on airplanes too.

Now I'm wondering if I should get a higher quality seat with a higher-than-12kg RF limit that not only works well on planes but that I can also bring back to Oz. I know they won't meet the Australian standards but if I can install it safely, it's worth the risk of a ticket in my mind. (Although I am concerned that US seats don't have those tethers that go along the top of the seat whereas Australian ones do.)

I have also been considering importing one from Sweden but oh my, the cost!

Here are the specs:

Weight: approx 12 kg (approx 26.5 lbs)
Height: approx 88 cm (almost 35 inches)
Car #1: Pontiac Grand-Am, 12 years old
Car #2: Chevy SUV (maybe a Tahoe? Only a couple years old I think)
Domestic carrier: Northwest Airlines, US Airways
Int'l carrier: Qantas

Anyone have any suggestions on which carseat to get? Ideally I'd be able to get another trip out of this one when DD is around 4 yo.

Also, she will be FF on the plane and will be flying outbound with a CARES harness. Would only use the carseat on the plane in order to avoid checking it in. Much prefer idea of flying with CARES at this age.

Thanks!

Ozgal :)

Last edited:
ADS

kiwi011

From what I have seen Australia has the toughest testing regulations in town and only accepts Aust tested seats. Unlike in Europe, they test side impact and genital bruising! (And unlike Switzerland, they really will check your seat if you get stopped).

I would be tempted to buy an Australian seat myself - I know there is less variety, but surely they would be safer?

Adventuredad

I might be forgetting but isn't the maximum RF limit in Australia incredibly low 12 kg (25 lbs)? That would mean turning most kids around at 18 months which is not a good idea. Safety difference at that stage is a stunning 500% in favor of rear facing. Worst thing is probably that child would HAVE to be turned around at that point. There would be no other choice.

Pretty much anything would be safer than using an Australian seat since they don't even make it to the very low 35 lbs RF limit.

Last edited:

lenats31

I´d second all that AD wrote. I write on two Australian car seat forums. The seats there are crap compared with what´s available in most other countries.
OP, you are not better off buying an Australian car seat. I don´t know what the police will do if you get caught and if they´ll check your seats even. I have heard of many cases where they don´t. People have imported seats with footprops instead of top tether straps - obviously overseas Isofix car seats that do not comply with Australian laws. So far no police officer has cared.

Lena

Ozgal

Thanks for the responses.

So... I've decided to import a Swedish seat!!! :D (Thanks, AdventureDad!) I ordered the Britax Multi Tech and can't wait for it to arrive.

DD had to be turned around recently because yes, even though we spent AU$550 on the best seat available here, it only has a 12 kg rear-facing weight limit. :thumbsdown: The Swedish seat costs the same (plus shipping).

I'd be interested in hearing what the Australian car seat forums are called?

I could probably use some advice from locals on what to do if I get "caught" with it, as well as any potential installaction tricks.

:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC