Scale recommendations & weighing baby?

SPJ&E

I want to get a digital scale for at home so I can keep an eye on the boy's weights. Neither of them is near the limits for their seats, but I would like to have one for when they get close. Right now, I just weigh them on my grandparents digital scale every Sunday and it has been pretty accurate so far.

Is there a certain brand I should get or stay away from? Is there anything I need to do to make sure the scale is accurate? Any tips at all would be great!

Also, what about weight a baby? Now that Joshua can sit up, I just sit him on the scale at my grandparents house and cross his feet so they're on the scale too (that way his whole body is on there and not touching anything else). That would give an accurate reading, right?

What about weighing yourself and then holding baby and weighing you both and subtracting the difference to get baby's weight? Is that generally accurate or should that method never be used?

Sorry for all the questions, I've just been thinking about this for a while, lol!

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Hey, I just posted about using a digital scale, so I wanted to reply in case you were expecting me to ... unfortunately, I know absolutely nothing about selecting/buying digital scales ~ my SO bought his through the medical supplier (he's an OBGYN & it's a pretty huge piece of equipment, LOL) :eek: But, good luck!

SPJ&E

lol, thanks! Your post about keeping a close eye on Leila's weight when she was close to the RF limits reminded me to ask if anyone knew anything much about them!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I have a Tanita brand digital scale that measures in .5 lb. increments. I weigh DD2 holding her and then weigh myself separately and subtract, and it always seems to agree with the baby scale or regular digital scale at the ped's office pretty closely. I just discovered DD1 weighs 45 lbs. fully clothed and shoeless today on our scale. DH had a doctor's appointment this morning and we all tagged along, and DD1 weighed exactly 45 lbs. on the scale there, too, when I asked if I could weigh her on it for comparison. Some Tanita or other digital brands also have some models with .2 lb. increments, but they can cost quite a bit more. I think ours cost $35-40 several years ago.

Last edited:

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
What about weighing yourself and then holding baby and weighing you both and subtracting the difference to get baby's weight? Is that generally accurate or should that method never be used?

Actually, this is one of the most accurate ways to weigh a small child. This is how I weigh all my daycare kids. Granted, mine only shows whole pounds, so I have to take that into consideration.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I've been wondering about this lately, too. At our WIC office, I was told that it is NOT accurate to do the 'your weight plus baby minus your own weight' thing. In fact, thats what I had to do at our last WIC appt with DS2 and it came out to 31 lbs. I knew he wasn't anywhere near 31 lbs, but didn't feel like going through the whole thing of trying to get him to stand on the scale himself. This time (a few weeks ago) he stood on the scale and weighed 28 lbs (this is the same exact scale). The WIC lady thought something was wrong because he shouldn't be losing that much weight, and then I had to tell her that the 31 lbs was definitely not accurate last time. When I do it on my scale at home, though, it seems to be more accurate than that. My scale is digital and I like it. It usually weights about .5 lb more than a dr's office scale. The brand is Taylor. I think it was about $25 at Walmart, and I have no idea if its a good brand or not, but it does seem to be accurate. I would love to have one that I KNOW is good and will always be accurate, so I would also love some suggestions for brands to look for, etc... Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC