Seating 5 under 8 - narrow booster & configuration suggestions please!

picklesmama

Can anyone suggest the most narrow booster seats? And/or should I reconfigure my seating?

DD1 (6 yrs, 49" 62lbs TurboBooster) and DS1 (just turned 8, 51" 53lbs TurboBooster) sit on either side of DS2 (5 yrs, 42" 39 lbs, FF Radian80) in the 3rd row 60/40 split bench of a 2007 Town & Country. By law DS1 doesn't need to be in a booster as of his 8th birthday but by his slight size he does and likely will for some time. The TurboBoosters fit on either side of the Radian but it really is a PITA to get them buckled in, the kids have a really hard time doing it themselves, they have to reach behind in the space between the armrest and their brother's seat, and they can't see what they are doing.

The Radian has to go in the center position because for some stupid reason my van only has a lap belt in the center rear seat. This wasn't a huge issue when we only had 4 kids, but now that we had our little surprise #5 we will be needing all the seats to have 3-point seatbelts, so by the time our youngest has outgrown her Radian we will need to buy a new vehicle, but for now that's not an option.

The 2nd row captain's chairs are holding DD2 (3 yrs, 36.5" 29lbs, RF Radian80) and DD3 (5 mos, 16 lbs, RF Radian80). This is not working out so much for me because we have to crawl underneath the space behind the seats to get in and out of the van's rear seats. My 5 year old in the center back seat has autism and I sometimes have to wrestle him into his seat, so I need to be able to reach the back seat. I was thinking I could turn DD2 forward now so the big kids and I could get past that seat and access the 3rd row, WDYT, or can you suggest a better configuration?

I have two Clek Olli boosters too (purchased before I realized the center rear only had a lap belt (ugh) but they don't fit on either side of the Radian - BUT - I could maybe latch one of them into one of the 2nd row capt chairs for DS1 and put DD2 FF in the back row... if I'm going to turn DD2 forward now would she be safer in the 3rd row or the 2nd row?

OK, follow all that? If sooooo, I need configuration suggestions and recommendations for narrow boosters, please!

Oh and I can't put DD3 in the 3rd row RF. I have recurrent sciatica and can't manage getting her in that way.

TIA for suggestions!

ADS

Maedze

One thing to consider; with the car you have, there are only three top tether locations; one is where your 5 year old is riding (you have that top tether anchor hooked up, right? :) ) and the other two in the captain's chairs.

If you turn your three year old forward facing to gain easier access to the third row, I'd keep her in a captain's chair so you can use that really important top tether.

picklesmama

One thing to consider; with the car you have, there are only three top tether locations; one is where your 5 year old is riding (you have that top tether anchor hooked up, right? :) ) and the other two in the captain's chairs.

If you turn your three year old forward facing to gain easier access to the third row, I'd keep her in a captain's chair so you can use that really important top tether.
Yes, that is a sore spot with me about that van. Hubby surprised me with it for my birthday - he thought I'd be thrilled because it is fully loaded with all the fun stuff - leather, DVD, GPS, sat radio etc - and I was thrilled with it, until I discovered the limited safety seat positions. :doh:

That's one of the reasons I like Radians though, I had read that they are very safe even without a top tether. I had thought that once they were all big enough to forward face, I'd have the 3 youngest in Radians across the back bench and let the 2 older kids have the captain's chairs in the Cleks if they still need boosters. :shrug-shoulders: No?

Not sure if I can be any help wrt to seating arrangements, but if you are in Canada, your plan is illegal. All harnessed seats (even the Radian) require a top tether when FFing to meet safety standards. I know there are other CDN'ing mamas on here who have struggled with similar problems. I hope one of them chimes in with a solution for you soon!

picklesmama

Not sure if I can be any help wrt to seating arrangements, but if you are in Canada, your plan is illegal. All harnessed seats (even the Radian) require a top tether when FFing to meet safety standards. I know there are other CDN'ing mamas on here who have struggled with similar problems. I hope one of them chimes in with a solution for you soon!
Thanks - I AM Canadian but live in the US; hubby is American. We frequently cross the border to visit family though, hmmm.

APT

There are options for top tethers in the 3rd row of your van. I'm on my 3rd with Stow N Go, although I've only been putting a child seat in the 3rd row for about 2 months. There is the $180/ea tether you can purchase or just tether to the frame of the seat itself. Check out this thread, my response, and supporting links in post #7.

U

Unregistered

What about putting your 5 year old in a captain's chair and putting your 3 year old rear facing in the back row. Maybe your older 2 would have an easier time buckling their boosters next to a rear facing seat (never had a booster next 2 a carseat so I'm not sure). Can your 3 year old buckle herself? Would one of your older kids help her? (With you checking) I know my 5 year old cousin could buckle her little brother into the world's most complicated carseat (this was years ago). Once she learned how she always did it right and was proud to show off her skills!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC