Replacing seats after crash

Shelley007

I am furious at myself that I didn't research this further at the time of the accident.

Back in September 2008, my husband and son (son was 20 months old at the time) were involved in a crash. My son was riding in a Britax Marathon on the driver's side...driver's side is where the impact occurred. Everyone was ok though, aside from a mark on my son's neck from the strap on his seat. There was also my daughter's seat in the car, on the passenger side...a Britax Roundabout. She was not in the car when the collision happened.

When we called the insurance company that day and told them of the car seats, they said that we could go out immediately and purchase a replacement for my son and they'd reimburse us, which we did. However, when I asked about my daughter's seat, they said that since it was not in use, it did not need to be replaced. They said something about the straps, and the impact, and that since the straps weren't in use, there was no need for replacement. It made sense to me, and I just went with it.

I'm now looking for links to share with a friend, since her DH was in an accident with her kids and he doesn't think the seats need to be replaced, and I'm finding information which suggests that my daughter's seat SHOULD have been replaced, even though she was not in the car.

Can anyone advise? Should her seat be replaced? If so, does anyone know if the insurance company might still pay for it even though the accident was 10 months ago? (I'd still replace it even if they won't, but it would be nice since the accident was not my DH's fault!)

Any advice is appreciated!

ADS

Jonah Baby

Recently went through an accident with seats in the car...

I would call Britax to find out. I heard a rumor (rumor only, don't hold me to it) that some Britax seats, if not IN use, are ok after certain types of accidents.

I cannot tell you it is safe. I would actually assume the opposite unless told otherwise by the company.

Call Britax...

Shelley007

Chickabiddy - I've read those guidelines from the NHTSA, but I don't see anything on there that talks about whether or not the seat was in use. Because of that, do I just assume that my daughter's seat should be replaced, since our accident was NOT what they would consider "minor"?

Also, I'm not sure what type of seats my friend's boys were in...but the accident was not major, and may actually fall into the NHTSA's guidelines for a "minor" crash...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If your crash was not minor, the seat needs to be replaced, whether it was in use during the crash or not.

AFAIK, Britax is the only company that allows reuse according to those guidelines -- if your friend has non-Britax seats, they need to be replaced.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC