Luggage in the backseat?

InternationalMama

So we'll be going on a road trip in a few weeks in a hatchback. I've been reading about how unsecured luggage in the car can be deadly in a crash, but have been coming up empty-handed when I search for ways to secure the luggage.

I don't think we'll be able to fit everything in the trunk space (which is also open to the backseat at the top as far as I know) so we would have luggage on one of the back seat or at least on the floor.

What do other people do on road trips? Does anybody have any suggestions for how to best secure luggage in the car? Is it okay to put luggage in the back seat area? If not, what do people do instead? Alas, there is no roof rack. Any tips would be helpful!

(I couldn't decide if this was too OT for upstairs so I thought I'd just post it here.)

ADS

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
personally i do not put luggage in the backseat. i'm not sure how expensive luggage racks for the roof are....do you know anyone with one that you may be able to borrow??

i would either take less stuff or find a luggage thingy for the roof. those are the only alternatives i can think of at the moment, but would try pretty hard to work it out before putting luggage in the passenger compartment. just my :twocents:

Melizerd

I have a sturdy cargo net for my vehicle. In an accident I think it might break but it would slow things down. I have an HHR and it's like a station wagon all open.

I don't put luggage in the back seat either.

Pixels

I've put luggage in the back seat. If it's small enough, I buckle it in as best I can. Or at least put it on the floor.

A roof rack loaded with luggage changes the center of mass of the vehicle. It raises it significantly, increasing your chance of a rollover.

Rosey

I've put luggage on the floor and tied it down as best I could around the front seat hardware. I have also buckled in a diaper bag but now we need all the seats.

I wouldn't do the roof rack because of what pixels pointed out and weather issues-having to keep it all covered in case of rain.

Mama Jo

I have an accumulation of old LATCH straps from expired seats that I've used to tie things down, too. They're more adjustable than bungee cords, and you can wrap them around the legs of the front seat, and around and through the handles of the luggage on the floor. Or if you don't have backseat passengers and the luggage is on the seat, if you have lower anchors, you can hook to that too.

southpawboston

I've put luggage in the back seat. If it's small enough, I buckle it in as best I can. Or at least put it on the floor.

A roof rack loaded with luggage changes the center of mass of the vehicle. It raises it significantly, increasing your chance of a rollover.

unless you're overloading your roof rack, the change in COG is relatively small, and if the car is a small hatchback to begin with, it probably has a rollover rating less than that of most SUVs. i don't worry too much about rollover risks caused by roof racks. we've used roof racks extensively and never felt a difference in the driving dymanics. most racks have a 100 or 150 lb limit FWIW. we use the rack mainly for bikes (~60 lbs for two bikes), and bulky boxes that we can't fit in the trunk with other road-trip type stuff.

it would be helpful to know the make, model and year of the car in question, as this is a car-related question. perhaps specific recommendations can be made knowing what car this is.

InternationalMama

it would be helpful to know the make, model and year of the car in question, as this is a car-related question. perhaps specific recommendations can be made knowing what car this is.

It's a 2009 Nissan Versa.

I realize now that this probably should have gone in Car Safety. Sorry! I normally only stick to the car seat part of the forums and i knew you would all have good ideas. (It turned out it was car seat related. Latch strap! Brilliant idea.)

These suggestions have all been really helpful. Thanks.

southpawboston

i like the versa and considered it once instead of my 3. doesn't the versa come with a hatch cover? some cars provide a roll-up type of vinyl covers which won't protect the occupants at all in a crash, but other cars provide a stiff plastic or fiberglass cover which can be quite secure. i'm not sure what comes with the versa, but if it's one of the stiff fiberglass-type panels that hinges open when you open the hatch, that's already a laye of protection that station wagons and SUVs don't have...

InternationalMama

i like the versa and considered it once instead of my 3. doesn't the versa come with a hatch cover? some cars provide a roll-up type of vinyl covers which won't protect the occupants at all in a crash, but other cars provide a stiff plastic or fiberglass cover which can be quite secure.

I could be misremembering the lack of cover. I will double check this. I hope you're right. Thanks for the info!

That's ok. I went ahead and moved it for you. :)

Thanks. :) I probably got more responses on a Sunday by posting it downstairs, but this way more people can benefit from the suggestions. I really wasn't finding anything about this when I searched google.

InternationalMama

Southpawboston: You were right, the Versa does come with a hatch cover, but the person who owns this Versa had removed it because it's inconvenient. :thumbsdown:

We ended up renting a Chevy Impala to be sure we'd have enough room for the luggage, car seat etc. That car has a lot of trunk space!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC