2000 Dodge Durango

agurlsride

I found a good deal on a 2000 Durango, it only has 55k miles on it and its $6400 but I've been doing some research on that particular year and I've gotten many mixed reviews about the reliability. Does anyone have this year and have input on whether they think its worth buying? I also found a 1998 Honda Civic for $5500 with 56k miles that I am considering as a commute car, I can only buy one right now but unfortunately I still dont know which one to chose. I drive 85 miles round trip to work every day but I have a family of 6 (and no car at all). I wish I could get both cars, it would definitely solve all of my problems. Opinions?

ADS

April

I had a 2000 Dodge Durango and it was a lemon. Maybe I just got a sucky one, I dunno.

They are notorious for transmission problems and heating system problems. The jury is still out on whether the third row cargo hooks can be used as tether anchors. It was expensive to drive, gas wise. Its a PITA to have kids crawl between the flip down seat in the middle of the 2nd row. The third row is very small and short on the seat depth wise. You most definitely can't put a Regent or a Nautilus back there. No install problems otherwise with the 6 different seats I tried in there. Umm...they look pretty?

Sorry, I kind of had a bad experience. I had it for a year and put more than 50% of what I paid for it into repairs and the dang heat still didn't work. One day I was driving down the freeway and a 200ft tall tree snapped in half and crashed onto the hood/windshield. Insurance didn't cover it and I took it as a sign to just let it go. We paid $9k CDN for it, put $5k in repairs into it, and sold it for $5k with a smashed in hood.

Nannymom's DH has one (I think 99), hopefully she'll chime in.

agurlsride

Thats what I was afraid of....people had issues like that. I'm not worried about the heat not working...I live in Arizona and its either hot or bearable 10 months out of the year. The transmission thing scares me though. I have had transmission problems with 2 of my vans in the past (its the reason we got rid of our last van). I only have one kid in a harnessed seat so I could make sure that I put him in the middle row, the other kids would have to make sure that they buckle themselves into boosters properly.

Thank you so much for your input! I'll see if anyone else chimes in too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC