Honda Pilot?

aimz

We are looking at getting a 08 Honda Pilot because it has a third row. I was wondering if you can fit two Britax Marathon next to each other in the 2nd row. (one in side, one in middle)? This way we can move the one seat forward so adults can get to the back. We don't want to get the Pilot if we don't have anywhere for the carseats.

Thanks.

ADS

aimz

Question for those with Honda Pilots

we are looking into getting an 08 Honda Pilot. We would like an 09, but don't think we can afford them yet.

1. What tethers are available?
2. Are you happy with your purchase?

Thanks!

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Re: Question for those with Honda Pilots

I merged your posts into one thread, which I'm moving to the Car Safety forum.

Yes, you can fit two Marathons in the 2nd row side-by-side. Actually, you can fit three of them with room to spare.

All Pilots have 6 tether anchors, three each in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Older models have 2 lower LATCH sets (outboard, 2nd row), while '09 models have three sets (outboard in the 2nd row, plus passenger side outboard in the 3rd row).

aimz

Thanks for your reply. I want to ensure that before we buy, we will be totally covered in the car seat area. Just to make sure we understand eachother, can you fit two Britaz marathon car seats side by side in the center row in the left and center positions with enough room to fold down the right side seat for access to the third row. We want to be absolutely sure that with two seats in the car, people can still gain access to the third row.

Lys

Senior Community Member
Re: Question for those with Honda Pilots

I merged your posts into one thread, which I'm moving to the Car Safety forum.

Yes, you can fit two Marathons in the 2nd row side-by-side. Actually, you can fit three of them with room to spare.

All Pilots have 6 tether anchors, three each in the 2nd and 3rd rows. Older models have 2 lower LATCH sets (outboard, 2nd row), while '09 models have three sets (outboard in the 2nd row, plus passenger side outboard in the 3rd row).

The Pilot, beginning with MY 2009, actually has 4 sets of lower anchors.

All 2009 Pilot models are equipped with LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) in all three second-row seating positions and in the right-side third-row seat.

I ADORE my '06 Pilot. It has been a great vehicle for our large family.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The Pilot, beginning with MY 2009, actually has 4 sets of lower anchors

You know I thought so, and then I misread the LATCH manual. :rolleyes: Sorry about that. The '09 Pilot DOES have 3 LATCH sets in the 2nd row and one in the 3rd row.

Thanks for your reply. I want to ensure that before we buy, we will be totally covered in the car seat area. Just to make sure we understand eachother, can you fit two Britaz marathon car seats side by side in the center row in the left and center positions with enough room to fold down the right side seat for access to the third row. We want to be absolutely sure that with two seats in the car, people can still gain access to the third row.

My Pilot was an '03, and I remember having trouble accessing the 3rd row when there were 2 seats in the 2nd row. Actually, the 3rd row was difficult to access at the best of times. We generally had 3rd row passengers (i.e., me and my son) climb in through the back hatch. It was easier. The '09 might be better, I don't know.

We traded our Pilot in for an Odyssey, and we've found it to be a much better family vehicle.

sopapia

i don't know abt 09 pilots but the 3rd row seats in the pilot are not very comfy for adults (maybe small adults). if possible, i would put the kids there and have them climb in thru the back (which they love) and seat the adults in the second row.

why don't you take your carseats to the dealer and try them there before you buy?

aimz

Well we can't because we only have one carseat. I am hoping to keep this next car for awhile. We have one child right now and are going to start trying to another one soon. We just want to look ahead. I don't know anybody near me who has another britax that i can borrow, so I'm not sure how to go about it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
We have an '04 Pilot, and the back seat is very roomy (side-to-side) for installing car seats.

With a Wizard (same shell as the Marathon) installed in the center, we never had any problems putting the 40-split down.

The only potential problem I can see is that the seat that goes down (the 40 side of the 60/40 split) is significantly larger than the driver's outboard side. I don't know if another Marathon would fit there simply because the "big parts" of the car seats would be next to each other, and you couldn't puzzle them.

(It is VERY possible to get two seats--and even three seats--next to each other in the Pilot. I'm just not sure about that particular seat in those particular positions.)

If you don't already have two Marathons, is there a reason you wouldn't consider another seat that might puzzle better with it?

As others have suggested, climbing into the third row through the back is sometimes easier, and that would give you more installation possibilities in the second row.

sopapia

the second row in the pilot is really roomy. you can put two marathons and a regent in the middle without any problems. the size of the marathon is about as big as a snugride or SS1 so if you have a marathon and a snugride, you can try it. or just buy one from target to try.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
the second row in the pilot is really roomy. you can put two marathons and a regent in the middle without any problems. the size of the marathon is about as big as a snugride or SS1 so if you have a marathon and a snugride, you can try it. or just buy one from target to try.

The problem isn't the overall width, but rather how the seats would sit next to each other. So trying a Snugride might not give you the same results as trying two Marathons.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC