Question 3 carseats in a 2001 or 2005 subaru outback?

U

Unregistered

I am visiting my parents and hope to fit 3 across the back of one of their subaru outbacks. Does anyone know if this will work? I am willing to buy one carseat if needed - maybe a Radian 65.

Here are my family's stats: 3 boys
5yo 42lbs, 3yo 38 lbs, 13 months old 22lbs. Only the baby rides RF in either a Britax roundabout or marathon. My other boys ride FF.

Carseats I currently own to "play around with" include:
2 Britax Marathon
2 Britax Roundabout
1 FP SV booster with back

I was thinking of trying the Roundabout RF, the FPSV for the 5yo and a Radian for the 3yo. Any insight? Thanks in advance!

ADS

romanoma

I'm not sure about those exact years of outback, but I know subaru's can be very hard for 3 across installs due to the hump in the middle back seat. We have a forester, and there is really no way to do 3 across.

Hopefully someone here has tried with an outback to help you out more...

jn__

I'm not sure how they differ from years. I have a 2000 legacy wagon and I can get 2 of the britax with a radian, but it's tricky to learn to install the radian, but I DO get a good install.

I have had all 3 rf (roundabout, radian, then marathon)
Right now I have roundabout rf, radian ff, marathon ff
In the past I have had roundabout rf, marathon ff and radian ff

the marathon gets a great install ff in the center. The radian too but it's tough (have to twist the belt stalks on both parts - female end and extension part where it meets the seat)

celtic1885

I had an 01 Outback that I just sold a couple weeks ago. I'd be really suprised if you could fit 3 across the back. I had a MA and Regent in the back and there was no room in between for another seat. I know the RE is huge but would be really suprised if you could do three.

That being said, here's a link to successful 3Across thread in the forum
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33226

good luck!

DahliaRW

You can do it with 2 outboard radians and a rfing seat between. But it's a huge PITA. You can get a radian installed in the middle, but it took me 2 1/2 hours or so and a lot of pain and choice words! You really have to have the right combo of seats. (I had an '01 outback - we sold it because with 3 kids it just wasn't practical for us).

U

Unregistered

thanks for the advice, everyone. i ended up buying a radian 65 today....but my parents found a honda pilot to borrow, as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC