Anyone know if there is any differance between the Radian 65 & 80?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I finally found a store that has a floor model of the Radian but it's the 80lbs verison. Does anyone know if the 65 & 80 any differance? Is the harness height higher on the 80 then the 65? Is the seat taller or wider? Just need to know if it is even worth my time going to see if it will fit in dh GTO or not.

ADS

LuvBug

from what I have read here and on their site. The only differences are the weight limits and the padding. The harness heights and shell are the same from what I understand.

ttatink

Yep, the PP is right. I looked into that seat extensively but the only difference is the 80 pound weight limit and some extra padding. It's still a 49" limit. Wasn't worth the extra money for me since my kids will grow out of it in height sooner than weight.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yup. You guys are right. I talked to SunshineKids SEVERAL times when they were releasing the Radian 80 and they verified that there is no difference in harness height or shell. Seems a bit wasteful to me, but that is, of course, only my opinion.

Morganthe

What I'd like to know is that if the carseat has been modified in any way to strengthen it, or did they just crash tested a '65' with an 80lb dummy. :confused:

Because if it is the identical same car seat except for fancier baby padding, then shouldn't us consumers be informed that a 65 can safely handle the heavier weight too? :cool:
Wouldn't that be an ethical business practice model?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I heard rumors last year that the 65 did pass with an 80lbs dummy. I too wondered if they modified the 80lb verison in anyway.

I know I won't be getting the Radian 80 anyways. If I am going to buy an 80lb 5pt harness I will just get another Regent. But, I need a narrow seat for dh GTO. I know there have been some seatbelt installation issues with the Radian and in dh truck he doesn't have LATCH (lower anchors but does have tethers). This seat will be moved back and forth between the 2 vehicles. So, I wanted to test it out in both before I bought one. But, USA Baby near me only has the 80lbs verison.

To be honest I really hope she stays below 40lbs for another year. By that time we will have sold his GTO and it won't be an issue. I would just buy another Regent for his truck. But, With her being 3 1/2 she is by far from being ready for a booster. Her Marathon is to tall for the car due to it's base.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, probably it'd be ethical to be publicly honest about these things.... Maybe they figure no kid will fit in the seat till either weight, anyway, so it's all a marketing ploy (people buy seats as a 'dollars per pound' proposition, with no thought to other merits of the seat, hence the Britax Expressway went off the market because it was only 20-40 pounds, and a FANTASTIC seat, but the 5-100 Alpha Omega lives on forever, despite it's dubious quality and labeling issues... sooo... 5-65 for the Radian just doesn't justify the extra price that 5-80 does... higher limits, higher price, simple marketing structure)

:)

Morganthe

So, I wanted to test it out in both before I bought one. But, USA Baby near me only has the 80lbs verison.

If I remember correctly, by law in majority of States, there's a 3 day limit on transactions where one can return an item at no extra cost.

Since the 80lbs version is the identical seat, you could always try it out for fit and then return it afterwards. Or (alert -- the not totally honest route ;) ), they might let you try out an installation in your vehicle in the parking lot... And you tell them you're not satisfied regardless of the outcome. But at least you'll be able to know if it fits and if you like it. :)

I might go ahead and write Consumer Reports about the two seats being priced so differently, but still basically the same. Something that irks me as just not being 'right'. :eek: They might like to investigate it. I got a really nice response from my gripe last week concerning an Apr 2006 article about larger car seats & obese kids. I told them that they were not helpful to the general public and that more parents want 5pt harness choices for taller kids because so many are outgrowing these seats at a young age. To say that only obese children needs these seats is to limit the category. They're advocates for safety and fair practice, so this Radian issue could be up their alley.

Splash

I don't think they are being unethical. Is it unethical for Graco or Evenflo not to tell you that you can use their combination seats past 40 pounds if you use a top tether? We know they pass that way in Canada, so why not tell us about it in the US?
The seat is labeled to 65 pounds. There is no way to know that some of the really early ones will go to 80 pounds. There is also no way to tell most people that without them saying "well, if they tested THAT seat beyond its limits, then they must have done it with my other seats too. I can use my AO to 60 pounds, because there must me some margin for error"

Splash

I might go ahead and write Consumer Reports about the two seats being priced so differently, but still basically the same. Something that irks me as just not being 'right'. :eek: They might like to investigate it.

Then you'd have to write them about Cosco selling their seats with EB covers and charging 20% more than the Cosco or Safety 1st variety, and Graco selling their seats with Simpson racing covers and charging more, and Britax charging more for the marathon than the FPSVD, or for that matter charging more for their couture covers. The Platinum cargo selling for more than the Ultra cargo because of extra padding, the Generations selling for more than the Bolero because of the recline bar...

There are really only a dozen or so car seats on the US market when you get down to the nitty gritty. The rest is padding and covers and foam and such. But the seats themselves are all pretty similar. Same with this. They can charge more for it because they made it different, same reason Britax can charge $60 for the sand dollar cover than the denim one.

Morganthe

Then you'd have to write them about Cosco selling their seats with EB covers and charging 20% more than the Cosco or Safety 1st variety, and Graco selling their seats with Simpson racing covers and charging more, and Britax charging more for the marathon than the FPSVD, or for that matter charging more for their couture covers. The Platinum cargo selling for more than the Ultra cargo because of extra padding, the Generations selling for more than the Bolero because of the recline bar...

There are really only a dozen or so car seats on the US market when you get down to the nitty gritty. The rest is padding and covers and foam and such. But the seats themselves are all pretty similar. Same with this. They can charge more for it because they made it different, same reason Britax can charge $60 for the sand dollar cover than the denim one.

Perhaps I'm just dense, but I can understand prices between cover selections. If you want that fabric and willing to pay it, by all means, go ahead. It's preference that has nothing to do with size ratings though. I don't like is that my Sept 2006 Raidian has a limit of 65lbs and appears to be exactly identical to what is being marketed to 80lbs for a lot more money. If SK wants the difference in price just due to fancier padding, no biggie.

What I don't like is the automatic assumption that EVERYONE has (including myself when I started looking at their website), is that the Radian 80 is larger or has more safety features than the 65. It's only after doing the digging of comparing inches and calling customer service that a consumer figures out that they are built alike except for padding features.

The more I think about their marketing strategy, the more it makes me nauseated. It's tricky and not ethical since we parents are looking to protect our children as best we can. Playing fair should be the right thing to do. I'm a very cynical person. Free Market economy needs to have some limits, imo. On issues of safety equipment, I feel very strongly that businesses should be honorable and ethical. Everyone should be able to protect their children regardless of income.
How many parents are going to stretch their budgets to afford what they think will be the very best and discover it's identical to the less expensive item that their child will outgrow at about the same period of time?

jmho that could be wrong impressions -- but opinions are not fact and not always perfectly logical. :cool:

LuvBug

Its not ethical, but its not illegal so they can do it. Lots of businesses make unethical choices but they are not illegal so they are not deemed 'wrong'.
Its alone the same lines of people taking down their sales and upping their instock prices on the regents after that youtube video. It isnt illegal, but it is unethical in a fairness is ethical kind of way.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I don't think they are being unethical. Is it unethical for Graco or Evenflo not to tell you that you can use their combination seats past 40 pounds if you use a top tether? We know they pass that way in Canada, so why not tell us about it in the US?
The seat is labeled to 65 pounds. There is no way to know that some of the really early ones will go to 80 pounds. There is also no way to tell most people that without them saying "well, if they tested THAT seat beyond its limits, then they must have done it with my other seats too. I can use my AO to 60 pounds, because there must me some margin for error"

The rumor is the Radian 65 from the get go has always passed the crash test with an 80lb dummy. But, I wouldn't spend the money on the Radian 80 anyways. Not knowning I can get a Britax Regent that has taller harness slots then the Radian for the same price.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
If I remember correctly, by law in majority of States, there's a 3 day limit on transactions where one can return an item at no extra cost.

Since the 80lbs version is the identical seat, you could always try it out for fit and then return it afterwards. Or (alert -- the not totally honest route ;) ), they might let you try out an installation in your vehicle in the parking lot... And you tell them you're not satisfied regardless of the outcome. But at least you'll be able to know if it fits and if you like it. :)

I might go ahead and write Consumer Reports about the two seats being priced so differently, but still basically the same. Something that irks me as just not being 'right'. :eek: They might like to investigate it. I got a really nice response from my gripe last week concerning an Apr 2006 article about larger car seats & obese kids. I told them that they were not helpful to the general public and that more parents want 5pt harness choices for taller kids because so many are outgrowing these seats at a young age. To say that only obese children needs these seats is to limit the category. They're advocates for safety and fair practice, so this Radian issue could be up their alley.

Our USA Baby lets you test the seats out in your vehicle before buying. I don't plan on ordering it from them anyways. I know I can find a better deal on the internet. Just need to make sure it fits. To be honest I am hoping she makes it to 4 before hitting 40lbs.

Morganthe

Its not ethical, but its not illegal so they can do it. Lots of businesses make unethical choices but they are not illegal so they are not deemed 'wrong'..

If you read what I wrote, we're thinking exactly on the same lines. The problem is with ethics, political or business, unless its publicized, they're never shamed into changing practices. Shame and embarassment does a lot to change strategies. Never underestimate those tactics. Hence why I'd sic CU on them :D
Publicizing these issues into a nationally read magazine for others interested parties could help them make wiser decisions quicker and easier. Not everyone has the time or the frustrated patience to dig as much as I have these past months trying to determine what would be best for my daughter's next car seat.

granolamama

Re: Regent prices

Its alone the same lines of people taking down their sales and upping their instock prices on the regents after that youtube video. It isnt illegal, but it is unethical in a fairness is ethical kind of way.

So, has anyone kept track of which retailers have NOT charged more than their regular price for the Regent recently? That would be a list worth remembering for other future purchases.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

They had raised the price to $269 a couple months ago, then they were on sale... $269 is the msrp now. If they are higher than that, then THAT would be a site to avoid, that's for sure.

LuvBug

They had raised the price to $269 a couple months ago, then they were on sale... $269 is the msrp now. If they are higher than that, then THAT would be a site to avoid, that's for sure.

yes there are a few sites that were 269.99 with blue boquet on sale and then suddenly they werent on sale and the prices were up to 279.99 and 299.99.

I havent kept track but I know target hasnt raised it above MSRP and I dont think any of the big retailers did like elite or albee. It was just a few little places that I had linked because they had blue boquet on sale. I can try and go back to my post and find them and see, but its possible by now things have settled down or taken down because of lack of stock.
And I dont know for a fact they did this because of the youtube video. I doubt all of them know about the youtube... but once everyone was getting hit that is when they went up. SO it is an observation and not a fact. Its all about supply and demand though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC