HELP NEEDED-my new Radian, Safe Stop??

kfelaco

So I just got my new Radian from Albee's today! So I'm reading over the manual, and the seat has this extra strap (almost like an extension) called "Safe Stop". It looks like you thread the harness straps in the back into one end and the harness hook into the other. My questions:

-why would I use this? what purpose does it serve?

-the manual says in two different places: must use Safe Stop with LATCH and top tether under 48 lbs. BUT.....on the Safe Stop strap itself and on the car seat sticker, it says to use Safe Stop under 40 lbs? So which do I go by?? :confused:

ADS

skipspin

My understanding is over 40 lbs you don't use it. The *best* thing to do would be to call SK with your question. They have great customer service. I read the manual and the stickers on a new Radian/safestop (that I gave to a friend.) Her son is 40 lb and so I didn't put it on her seat when I installed it.

The safe stop reduces crash forces by slowly releasing (or extending may be a better word) in a more severe collision so that the ridedown time is longer. Basically it stops the body slower to minimize neck trauma as I understand. The Radian has really good head excursion numbers, so they were able to use this method. I believe that some of the new Britax seats have a similar feature on the tether itself, or on the harness straps, but someone else would have to confirm that.

The "old" Radian's had no safe stop and could be used from FFing with LATCH without one, so I would wonder if you really "have" to use it, although it is defiantely shown to improve the safety of the seat and you wouldn't want to go against the manuf. instructions.

I vote, "Call Sunshine Kids."

kfelaco

So I called Sunshine Kids and the rep said to go with 48 lbs. Her reasoning was, "well, I guess they didn't update the manual yet." But I repeated to her "it was the manual that said 48 lbs, and the strap and seat that said 40 lbs!" She insisted that it was meant for 48 lbs. :rolleyes:

I just didn't feel a lot of confidence in the lady's flawed reasoning, and the manual is 2005, while the strap and seat were manufactured in 9/06. So if I had to guess, I'd say the 40 lb limit would be the more current one. And I'd rather err on the side of caution.....

Last edited:

cantech

I had a conversation about the safestop when I first got my Radian DOM 08/29/06 and was told to make sure to *remove* the Safe Stop strap at 40 lbs. The idea is that it allows some "give" in the event of a frontal impact for smaller forward facing children reducing the forces on the child but for larger children it allows too much give potentially increasing the risk of injury. This strap is not for use rearfacing.

HTH

Belinda

Dillipop

That kinda stinks! I just wrestled the radian into my mom's car with the safestop on since it says to always use with latch or top tether to 48 pounds. I'll have to check my seat, it's DOM is 02/06 to see what it says- 40 or 48. I am NOT looking forward to removing the seat and reinstalling it to remove that strap since DS is so close to 40.... I thought I had to 48!

kfelaco

Dillipop,

I'm feeling ya! It stinks to undo a solid install, but I guess it's better to check and be sure. My DD is 40 lbs., so I left off the Safe Stop strap and installed the seat this afternoon. Got a nice rock solid install! :D And she loves it! (although she was disappointed that it wasn't pink....) LOL

becca011906

Senior Community Member
My seat as well is 2/06 and i was like ok that stays for while since abby is about 37lbs but that's not that long if it's only to 40, but my manual and my seat sticker says to 48lbs too...

cantech

After my last post on this I checked my manual(Canadian version) and in all forward facing installation instructions it says to only use the SafeStop for forward facing use on children 40 lbs or less. I just checked the online version of the Radian 65 as well and those all say to only use the Safestop for forward facing installs if you're using the tether and if the child is 40 lbs. or less.

Given the head excursion limits and the fact that the safestop could potentially increase head excursion in the event of a crash I'll be reinstalling the seat at 40 lbs without the Safestop.

Hope this helps.

Belinda

kfelaco

Becky,
Very interesting how your only slightly older seat has stickers that match the manual.....hmmmm.....hope other Radian owners catch this discrepancy!! :confused:

Belinda,
I agree on your point of increased head excursion with the added length of the Safe Stop strap, so I do feel good with my decision to leave it off with DD having only a pound to go anyway.....;)

becca011906

Senior Community Member
funny thing is, it's like there is a sticker under that one... like they saw the mistake and printed a new sticker with the 48lbs limit, i'll have take a pic tomorrow of the sticker over lap...

Dillipop

I looked at the sticker on mine with the 02/06 and it says use with latch or top tether with a child under 48 pounds. Same as my manual. Since both of mine match, I am going to keep the seat installed as is for now. It really was a B**** to install in my mom's car. I'll have to check again next time I'm at her house though to see if it looks like there is another sticker underneath it, like in becca's seat. There is no way I am uninstalling the seat though to see what the safestop itself says....

kfelaco

I'm with you: if the stickers on the seat match the manual's requirements, then you go with it. I have a sticker on the back as well as the side of the seat, and then the sewn-on label of the Safe Stop strap, which all say 40 lbs. So odd.....maybe I should call Sunshine Kids again and tell them about your 2/06 seat stickers as compared to my 9/06 stickers and my discrepancy. :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC