Can't get Nautilus super-tight with lap belt.

livsmum

I'm trying to install a Nautilus in the centre seat, middle row of a 2002 Pontiac Montana. It has a lap only belt, the kind that rachets back on its own. I can't get it as tight as I'd like but really want it in the middle.

Any tips that might help??

Thanks,

Shannon.

ADS

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hi there :) The trick is to kneel in the seat, and rock it back and forth while pushing the belt into the retractor.

Usually you can unbuckle the ALR lap belt, let it click in once or twice, and then rebuckle, but if your car is like my 2001 Venture (same car), the buckle stalk is fixed at a funky angle, and that doesn't work :( Luckily, I can get a very solid install using the squishing down and rocking technique :)

livsmum

I've always put my full weight in the seat to ensure it's tight but it's just not working this time. The seat was previously installed in a 2000 GMC Jimmy (lap/shoulder belt) and I was able to get it tight every time.

I'll just keep playing around with it I guess, as I like it being in the middle as opposed to the side.

momtoirs

We have a 00 Subaru Impreza with a Nautilus in the center with lap belt and top tether.

For us, the main Nautilus installation trick was/is to adjust the recline on the Nautilus. I can't remember for sure, but I think it has to be on maximum recline in our vehicle -- anything more or less and its not tight.

We do have the buckle stalk twisted 3 full turns, but we need to do that for just about every other seat on the market.

Tina

BeachMama86

Also, try taking the tail of the belt (you know - the part you pull on), and run it back through the belt path, and PULLL parallell to the ground/sideways.

Also, I find that if you put all your weight on the buckle side of the seat, so it looks like it's tipping to the buckle side, and PULLL, thaat helps too.

Good luck!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Also, try taking the tail of the belt (you know - the part you pull on), and run it back through the belt path, and PULLL parallell to the ground/sideways.

Also, I find that if you put all your weight on the buckle side of the seat, so it looks like it's tipping to the buckle side, and PULLL, thaat helps too.

Good luck!

ALR lap belts don't have tails - they are on a retractor just like a lap/shoulder belt except they lock if you pull them out and allow a little to feed back in. The latchplate is sewn on to the end of the webbing.

Did the Montana have the ability to have the seatbelt stalk replaced by GM with a more child restraint friendly one? I believe one of the CDN techs on this board has the updated stalk in her venture, and it's made a huge difference for her. I have checked a nautilus in the center of a venture with the fixed stalk though, and it was in there tight. In that van each seat was able to be reclined independently and they reclined it, rocked/bounced, then forced the vehicle seat back upright and got it in tight.

It's a sucky vehicle for carseats though - that's for sure.

BeachMama86

ALR lap belts don't have tails - they are on a retractor just like a lap/shoulder belt except they lock if you pull them out and allow a little to feed back in. The latchplate is sewn on to the end of the webbing.

Oh, how do you tighten it then? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that type of belt I guess. Any pics?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC