lodonal65, question for you....

ccjones

I'm going to buy a Pilot either today or tomorrow, and I wanted to know how well a RF Marathon will install with LATCH in either of the 2nd row outboard seats? How about finding a place underneath the front seats for a RF tether? We're supposed to have really nasty weather today (high winds, thunderstorms, etc.) and I'd rather not bring along the MA if I don't have to!

Thanks!

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I'm not lodonal65, but I had a Pilot until a couple of months ago, and my youngest rode rear facing in a Marathon. It fits great rear facing with LATCH. I may have a picture somewhere of how I tethered it. I'll see what I can dig up.

Lys

Senior Community Member
I'm going to buy a Pilot either today or tomorrow, and I wanted to know how well a RF Marathon will install with LATCH in either of the 2nd row outboard seats? How about finding a place underneath the front seats for a RF tether? We're supposed to have really nasty weather today (high winds, thunderstorms, etc.) and I'd rather not bring along the MA if I don't have to!

Thanks!

Here's a pic of Marathon RF tethered to the front passenger seat anchor. The d-ring is actually under the track so you would be able to move the front passenger seat back if needed.
(hoping the pic works)

Last edited:

ccjones

Hi! Thanks for the response and the pics of your MA. I got a 2007 Pilot this afternoon, and I really like it! I got the new Nimbus Gray color, and it comes with XM Radio free for a year! Now I'm going to be spoiled! lol I got my MA installed on the passenger side in the 2nd row with LATCH. I'm using one of those original (super-thin) Prince Lionheart seatcovers. I've read on here that some techs think this particular seatcover is acceptable because it's so thin, so I feel OK using it. Let me ask you this, though. I put the RF tether around that metal piece covered with plastic that runs the length of the passenger seat. Looking at your first pic, it would be that long piece under the seat to the right of where you put your tether. If this isn't a good spot, please let me know and I'll try to put mine where yours is.

ETA: I'm going to try installing the Radian RF and FF with LATCH and the seatbelt tomorrow if the weather is decent. When my son is old enough to FF, I think I'm going to ditch the MA and go with the Radian. I'm not loving the new MA I had to buy after the accident (DOM: 10/20/06). It's got those new lock-offs and the straps seem WAY more twisty than my old one! :mad:

Lys

Senior Community Member
Hi! Thanks for the response and the pics of your MA. I got a 2007 Pilot this afternoon, and I really like it! I got the new Nimbus Gray color, and it comes with XM Radio free for a year! Now I'm going to be spoiled! lol I got my MA installed on the passenger side in the 2nd row with LATCH. I'm using one of those original (super-thin) Prince Lionheart seatcovers. I've read on here that some techs think this particular seatcover is acceptable because it's so thin, so I feel OK using it. Let me ask you this, though. I put the RF tether around that metal piece covered with plastic that runs the length of the passenger seat. Looking at your first pic, it would be that long piece under the seat to the right of where you put your tether. If this isn't a good spot, please let me know and I'll try to put mine where yours is.

Congrats on the new car!
I looked at the spot you are talking about and I don't think it's a good place for a tether. That is part of the heat/ac vent. (on my vehicle at least)
I think it would be better if it went around the actual seat anchor itself.

ccjones

OK, I took a pic of where I have my D-ring installed. I put the D-Ring in the same spot you have it, but I could not get the seat pushed back as far as I would need it to keep my legs from hitting the glove box. The D-Ring kept getting jammed up in the seat rail. FYI...I slid the front seat forward to take the pic, when the seat is all the back, the tether is taut. But in your last post you're sating that piece is a heat/AC vent that's under the seat?!

pilot_ma011.jpg

This is where you have yours, look the same, but it makes it so I can't slide my seat back:

pilot_ma010.jpg

Lys

Senior Community Member
The part you have yours tetherd to in my vehicle is nothing but plastic. There is no metal bar behind it at all.
That's why I put it around the seat anchor.
In my pic, I didn't pull it tight around the seat anchor because I wasn't going to leave it there.
Have you tried cinching it down more? and then maybe the seat will be able to slide back.

ccjones

If I reach my hand under the seat from the front-side (where passenger feet would go), I can feel a metal bar covered with that plastic piece. I'm dropping my son off at my ILs later today because we have a wedding to go to tonight. So, after I drop him off, I'll come home and try to play with the D-Ring some more around the seat anchor.

LuvBug

yes it needs to be around the metal only. If in an accident the pastic broke then there would be a sudden jerk. You could probably do it to the seat track but to the leg of the track instead of on the track.

ccjones

OK, I'm a dork. I have no clue what I was doing before, but my only excuse was that it was cold and dark in the garage. I parked outside in the sunshine and I was able to see much better. I got the D-Ring in the same spot as in your pic, and I was able to get the passenger seat to slide all the way back. Thanks for your help!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC