Gro Baby Cloth Diapers?

ADS

Mylilboyblue

i haven't tried them yet, but I am wondering the same thing. I really like the idea of them, but am wondering how they work! :)

btw : congrats on your boy!!! :love:

lovemybabies924

i tried them and hated them so much i didnt even bother putting them in my blog http://affordableclothdiapers.blogspot.com i dont like to put reviews that are negative in there..but im thinking im just going to write something that just says they didnt work for my son. he would wet right through the pul...straight through and i know it went through because the sides of the diaper wouldnt even be wet at 1st so it couldnt be wicking!!!

NVMBR02

There are a lot of positive reviews on diaper swappers. I am considering buying 1 and few extra soakers to try out. I am interested since I heard they are coming out with a flushable insert also. As of now our plan is to use a mix of pockets, prefolds and gdiapers with cloth inserts (flushies when we are on a driving trip or camping) but I am instrested in trying the gro baby diaper also.

autumnlily

I played with one in person, both the snap and aplix, at Mother Natures (28th & Clinton in PDX) and they seemed neat. I really really liked the aplix concept - very similar to Imse Vimse... and the colors are awesome (I love dark & bold) but I didn't buy any because I have been enjoying prefolds & covers with a snappi. Honestly, I'm certain a prefold with snappi is trimmer than a GB if bulk is a concern. I don't mind bulk because I personally love showing off diapers :)

WhatAboutPuppy

I played with one in person, both the snap and aplix, at Mother Natures (28th & Clinton in PDX) and they seemed neat. I really really liked the aplix concept - very similar to Imse Vimse... and the colors are awesome (I love dark & bold) but I didn't buy any because I have been enjoying prefolds & covers with a snappi. Honestly, I'm certain a prefold with snappi is trimmer than a GB if bulk is a concern. I don't mind bulk because I personally love showing off diapers :)

I liked this little store... They didn't have a large selection though and they were out of all but one diaper in DSS2's size so I was a bit bummed, but the store is cute an the people are friendly, she even called me when their shipments came in but I'd already gone down the Corvallis to WeeBunz and picked up everything I needed... HUGE selection!
I'm wondering about GroBabies also but what I noticed was the colors of the PUL are the exact same colors it looked like as the Wonder Wraps (also sold on SewCrafty) and I'm wondering if it's the same material... if so, I haven't had a single leak with the wonder wrap, no wicking, no leaking straight through, nothing.
The concept of the GroBaby seems like it would work better for an older babe with more solid poo... just like gDiapers worked better for us as his poo became more solid. When it wasn't I'd end up throwing the whole thing in the wash every time, it never leaked past the little g but he'd mush it out of the insert, out of the little hammock thing and the little g would stop it... but it didn't save on diapers, I was still washing them after nearly every use... if that all makes sense. GroBaby's look like you can reuse the outters after urine changes but not new baby poo changes.

autumnlily

I liked this little store... They didn't have a large selection though and they were out of all but one diaper in DSS2's size so I was a bit bummed, but the store is cute an the people are friendly, she even called me when their shipments came in but I'd already gone down the Corvallis to WeeBunz and picked up everything I needed... HUGE selection!
I'm wondering about GroBabies also but what I noticed was the colors of the PUL are the exact same colors it looked like as the Wonder Wraps (also sold on SewCrafty) and I'm wondering if it's the same material... if so, I haven't had a single leak with the wonder wrap, no wicking, no leaking straight through, nothing.
The concept of the GroBaby seems like it would work better for an older babe with more solid poo... just like gDiapers worked better for us as his poo became more solid. When it wasn't I'd end up throwing the whole thing in the wash every time, it never leaked past the little g but he'd mush it out of the insert, out of the little hammock thing and the little g would stop it... but it didn't save on diapers, I was still washing them after nearly every use... if that all makes sense. GroBaby's look like you can reuse the outters after urine changes but not new baby poo changes.

I have learned to call ahead if I'm looking for something specifically because this has happened to me too on more than one occassion. But, they are awesome and special order and call when things come in. And, offer a twin discount :thumbsup:

I have found Zoom Baby Gear consitently has the largest selection of different brands (in PDX) and she has "gently used" bins that also bring in different brands :)

I could definitley see using the cover of the GB seperately/again and the colors were the same as the other wrap you mentioned. Definitely durable and soft!

marjen

I tried them and didn't like them. They were bulky on my daughter, and I just didn't get a great fit. The soakers also took a long time to dry. I didn't have any PUL problems (but it isn't actually PUL...it's a proprietary material called TPU). But some people seem to like them, so it's worth checking out.

WhatAboutPuppy

I've never been to Wee Bunz... I will have to make sure to stop by if I go that way! I love CD stores :p

It is in NO way set up like Mother Natures... I was a bit turned off when I walked into WeeBunz only because I'd first been in this upscale/yuppy feeling Mother Natures (I loved the feel of that store, don't take that wrong please). WeeBunz is very utilitarian, lining all the walls are these four or five drawer new tupperware dresser things with the clear drawers so you can see in (she has tons of them and I mean tons) they are all clearly marked and labeled well, there is a largish play area including little dolls with cloth diapers hehe. My DSS2 was about 16 months I believe when I took him in and he quickly caught on to the game, he'd point a drawer and I'd open it and he'd pull out one diap and put it in a pile I was creating in the middle of the floor... because of this we own a zinnia BG with no baby girls! :love:
Come to think of it each drawer had a different color, to help explain how many bins there are, she also keeps on record how many BG's you buy, buy 10 and the 11th is free!!!
She's got BG's of all sorts, Thirsties (AIO and covers), Happy Hienies, Bummis of all sorts, prefolds of all sorts, inserts,blueberries... there was a lot that I didn't even look at as I was on a mission and was told I could buy 5 BG's and a couple covers. lol She also has Becos and shoes.

I've just about talked myself into another trip down there!!

ETA: Where is Zoom Baby Gear located??

Last edited:

JerseyGirl'sMama

I played with one in person, both the snap and aplix, at Mother Natures (28th & Clinton in PDX) and they seemed neat.

I liked this little store... They didn't have a large selection though and they were out of all but one diaper in DSS2's size.

Wow, I didn't know you guys had been there! That is where I saw the GroBaby's when I went a couple weeks ago to get a few dipes to start with J. What a small world. :cool:

I agree the ladies there were really helpful and although they didn't have a huge selection, they did have enough variety for me to try a few different kinds.

jubgulia

We've been using the Gro Babys for about a month. We started out w/ DS1 and DS2 sharing 12 shells and 24 soakers, but now DS1 is in underwear so DS2 gets them all to himself. I am probably not the best person to review them because I have never even tried any other kind of CDs and these were the first I had ever even touched. :whistle:

That said, I do like them a lot. They are easy to wash and I do get to reuse the shells quite often. They do an awesome job of containing the poo and DS2 still has soft poo all the time so that's a big plus over the disposables. I haven't had a poo leak at all with these. If they get really soaked, the outer part of the shell will get wet. I don't know how common this is with any other kind though. For times when I know he is going to pee a lot, I do fold one of the boosters in half and put it under the top layer of the soaker up at the front. That has done a great job of reducing the pee leakage.

I really do think I want to get these converted to snaps though because DS2 has started taking them off. He wants to wear underwear, but I don't think we're quite ready for that.

autumnlily

Zoom Baby Gear is in N. Portland near U of P and Columbia Park. It's a rather small store but full to the rim with choices and selections.

She does not carry bG though. Zinnia is my FAVORITE color :)

cpsaddict

Wee Bunz is awesome! My friend and I take take a field trip there every few months(we are in Forest Grove, so it's about an hour and a half). Last time I was 34wks pregnant and got my Fuzzi Bunz OS(still trying to get used to that one). She seriously does have tons and tons of diapers. Her store is very bare bones in appearance, but she is a diaper service, too, so she is very dedicated to cloth. I need to try out Zoom Baby Gear and Mother Natures, although those stores make me nervous because I am so not crunchy. I just think CD's are cute and cost effective(yes, even though I have WAY to many).

autumnlily

No worries about not being "crunchy"! I love cloth for the cuteness factor too... and when I've had enough with washing, I break out the huggies.

I love seeing what is out there to buy and both these stores make me feel right at home...

WhatAboutPuppy

I think I'd jump to huggies every once in a while if I could but he gets red after a day at mom's so I just feel bad keeping him in it at home. And I don't mind the washing.

Lex

We are using the shell of the Gro-Baby on our newborn baby (he's 9 lbs. now, but we've been using it from birth~7 lbs.) as a diaper cover. It works very well! I haven't tried it with the snap-in soaker yet because I think that would be too bulky on such a tiny bum. But I love the concept, and I love the way the velcro can overlap, and I love the colors!

I did try the diaper on my 30-lb. 2.5-year-old just to see if it fit (he's out of diapers now), and it fit him like a glove, very trim (but not too trim to work, I don't think!).

HTH!

Lex

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC