Question Combi Dakota vs Clek Olli--multiple questions

SuburbanGrrl

We have a new 2009 Honda Civic EX Hybrid we need a booster seat. Currently using a Compass B510(?--not sure of number) in 2004 Honda Odyssey. It is too tall for the new Civic. DD is 7.5, 48 inches, 45 lbs, longer in legs than torso. Looking for a *comfortable* backless booster for Civic. I don't have a store locally where I can check them out.

Civic has headrests in all 3 positions, side curtain airbags, side impact beams, but NO CENTER LATCH (relevant for the Clek).

Key issues for my decision:

SAFETY:
1.Is there an extra safety value in having a LATCH booster? (Other than keeping it in place when unoccupied.) Or is this a marketing ploy preying on parents' fears? Is an unlatched seat likely to slide out from underneath a child in a collision (assuming child properly seated)?

2. Is it safer to use the Clek Olli LATCH booster in an outboard position (no center LATCH) or the Combi Dakota in the center position? Car has side curtain airbags.

3. Seat belt positioner. Olli doesn't seem to have one, the Dakota does. DD is very slender, am concerned that shoulder belt will cut too close to her neck.

COMFORT:
A big issue. How does the comfort/padding compare in the two? Clek looks great. Can't tell on Combi. I've looked at Graco's and their padding is minimal. Is the Combi's similar to Graco?

BUCKLING--EASE OF USE:
Love the Compass because of flip up arm rests. Do either of the 2 boosters have this feature? Olli's arm rests appear higher than Dakota but only looked online. If not, is one easier for child to belt than the other? My DD is all thumbs, took her a long time to independently buckle herself in. In the Odyssey the high seat makes it easy for me to lean over and assist in buckling if necessary. The Honda is more difficult always to the point of muttering under my breath. She is pretty independent but occasionally has difficulty. Of course I always do a visual check.

Thank you! You guys are a wealth of information and experience.

Susan in Illinois

ADS

myliljunebugs

How old/what size is your daughter? I only ask because DS started using the Olli as a backup seat but not until he outgrew the TB back. I won't use a backless booster until they can use it with no assistance from the shoulder belt straps on some boosters. I don't know much about the Combi booster, it does look nice, but I went with the Olli because of the LATCH. It makes no real safety difference to my knowledge, but I am awful about rebuckling boosters that are unoccupied. LOL

SuburbanGrrl

She is 7 1/2, 48 inches, and 45 lbs. She is mature enough for a booster and can buckle herself independently with the flip up armrests on the Compass. I only have to assist of the belt is twisted. I'm wondering about how easy it is to manuever the belt through the clek or dakota armrests. Before I got the Compass I tried a Britax booster and the armrests were so low it was difficult to the the seat belt through.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Hmm..I've never heard of a Compass being too tall before :eek:. Must be because it's so wide/bulky in the headrest?

Anyway, my kids prefer the Combi, it's considerably more cushy than the Clek, though they also love the Clek...my kids are easy to please, lol. The Clek doesn't need to be LATCHed, and it's narrower, so it may work in the middle, though I haven't tried it in that particular car to know (by 'work', I mean that you can reach the buckle stalk to buckle it easily).

Here's pictures of the two side by side... http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/CombiDakotaBooster?authkey=Gv1sRgCJzt8NeYtcGZ2AE#

SuburbanGrrl

The Compass fits DD just fine--it is too tall for the Civic blocking driver's visibility so we are looking for a backless.

Thanks for the info on the Dakota!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Oh, I get it. I'm so used to boosters blocking my view I never would have thought that. Highbacks are so much safer than no backs in side impacts (70% reduction in injury compared to backless boosters), that I've just learned to drive with my side mirrors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC