Question How to keep rear facing longer, what car seat?

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I have a 12 month old daughter who is 30 inches long and 22 pounds. She is currently rear facing in a Britax Diplomat. I bought the Diplomat because I drive a small car, VW golf. The Diplomat has a weight limit of 30 pounds and 30 inches for rear facing or if the child's head is one inch from the end of the back of the seat. Her head is not yet one inch from the back of the seat, however, she is 30 inches long.

What car seat is everyone using that you can keep your child rear facing until 2 years of age? I can't seem to find one that has a height limit of more than 32 inches for rear facing. Is it unsafe to keep the child rear facing when she has outgrown the height limit of the seat?

Thanks for your help.

Julie

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I moved your post to our Canadian and International forum so that you'll get Canadian-specific advice due to your location in Canada because you have some different seat options and RFing weight limits for Canadian certified seats.

canmom

Hi and welcome to c-s.org . If you want to register your post will show up quicker and you can PM board members.

Your daughter can remain rfing in her Diplomat until she has 1" of hard shell above her head. Height limits are guidelines... some children will outgrow a seat before the numerical limit and some will outgrow it after they have reached the numerical height limit.

I'm not sure how long the Diplomat lasts most children as it is a smaller seat. There are much larger options on the market, for example The First Years TruFit rf to 35lbs and doesn't state a numerical height limit, this seat goes strictly by the 1" rule (my 3yr old son still fits with room to grow height wise). Once children have good head control a rfing seat can be installed more upright than the full 45 degrees... for Britax as upright as 30degrees is acceptable. Installing a car seat more upright can save a lot of space in a vehicle. I have installed a TruFit in a Golf... I just can't remember the model year of that particular vehicle (may be able to find it for you). Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC