Need help deciding on vehicle for (what will be) three kids!

kerry8

Hi there :)

We have a 5.5 y/o, a 2.5 y/o, and in the fall we'll have a new baby (our last). We currently have a Pontiac Vibe, which I think I will attempt to get two Radians and a booster in (for the second car) but we're looking at something larger for the main mode of transportation! Our budget is 15K tops.

We're considering:
2007-2008 Sedona - wish I had jumped a couple of months ago when new 2008s were going for $14,900! :(

2006 Sienna (if I can find one for 15K)
New Kia Sportage

Is there any other really good car/minivan that I could fit three kiddos in that I'm not thinking of? Any thoughts on those models? Suggestions? I'm at a loss...

Thanks so much!

Kerry

ADS

kerry8

Thanks for the reply - I'm all about rear hip room stats lately ;) The rear hip room of my Vibe is 51.6 inches, whereas the new Sportage has a rear hip room of 54.3 inches.

It seems like I might be able to get 3 Radians across in the Vibe (51 inches by my calculations) but might be able to get two of the seats we have now and a booster in a Sportage.

Test drove one today along with a Sedona, and a used Toyota Sienna. LOVED the Sienna, loved the Sportage, hated the Sedona. I think I just wanted to know for sure if the Sportage might work.

I haven't test driven the Mazda yet - does it have latch in the rear seat?

Thanks!

skipspin

I'd suggest the Mazda5 too- especially if you want something on the smaller side. We rented one for our trip a few weeks ago and it was nice. Our kids are close to what yours will be. (5.75, 2, newborn) We put the older two in the back and the baby in the middle row. The Kia Rondo might be worth a look too, but I have only seen them in parking lots and looked online. They have a 7 seat option.

For the Vibe I'd try Radian, Coccoro, booster. I played with my SILs today. Although I'd guess that FF RN, RFing RN, narrow booster may work. The booster is going to be a pain to buckle, just warning you. It's tight.

ETA: The mazda 5 has full LATCH in the center row, TAs in the third row

kerry8

Thanks so much! We'll definitely check out the Mazda. Saw your siggy - what kind of Jeep do you have? I LOVE Jeeps and would love that option ;) Gave up my Wrangler when I had my son and I will forever want another (someday!)

Kerry

horsesitaly

Senior Community Member
I was going to suggest a Mazda5 also. There isn't LATCH in the 3rd row, and belt fit isn't ideal once they are out of a booster (shoulder belt is mounted weird) but it works for us. Dd is in the 3rd row in a Frontier, great seatbelt install. Ds2 used to ride back there in a Compass B510. I've used a Parkway before too, but the Compass seems to do better with the shoulder belt. I keep the other half of the rear folded down and we haven't had a problem getting luggage in for trips (at Christmas I put smaller gifts under the seat bottoms of the 2nd row, great "secret" storage!) or a bunch of groceries. My model year ('06) does not have a passenger side arm rest, which only bothers me when I'm not driving, which isn't often, but on long trips dh usually drives and I really wish I had an arm rest then. We also didn't have a leather option, but that is available on newer models. Overall I'm very happy with my car. Great gas mileage, fun to drive. It does NOT feel like driving a van! I used to have a Windstar.

kerry8

Thanks - we're definitely going to check out the Mazda 5 as soon as we can find one - they got rid of all of the local Mazda dealers, so it'll likely take us about a week or so.

Do you know if the seats in the second row come out in the newer versions? Either way, it seems like a much better deal. Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions!

Kerry

jewlsvern

Thanks - we're definitely going to check out the Mazda 5 as soon as we can find one - they got rid of all of the local Mazda dealers, so it'll likely take us about a week or so.

Do you know if the seats in the second row come out in the newer versions? Either way, it seems like a much better deal. Thanks so much to everyone for the suggestions!

Kerry

The seats in both rows will fold. They don't come out. The 3rd row folds flat and the 2nd row almost flat. Defrost has a picture of how the 2nd row folds. We have the 09 version and the seat belt fit in the 3rd row is much better than the older models. My niece rides in a high back turbo booster and the belt fits her great.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Here's pics of the Mazda 5 with the seats folded.

2nd row:
IMG_1980.jpg

Passenger side 3rd and 2nd row folded:
IMG_1992.jpg

Keep in mind you're going to have to be particular about which stroller you buy if you get a 5. I call the cargo area the "rear glove compartment." I know at least one person found a stroller that will fit in it, but I forget which kind it was. This isn't the best picture, but it'll give you an idea of how much cargo room you get with the 3rd row in use:
IMG_1060.jpg

kandamom

Wow, a new '08 Sedona for $14,900? Kind of makes me wish we would have waited a year to get something. We have an '07 Entourage which we bought last summer. It had been a rental return. It only had 12,000 miles on it, but it was quite dirty and people had smoked in it. (For almost as much as we could have gotten that new Sedona for this year. Oh well, we really didn't want to wait.) The Hyundai seemed like a good way to go for us vs. a used Honda or Toyota, since we could get newer one for the same price and still have 3-4 years of warranty left. As much as I didn't want the (formerly smokey) rental return, I really like it now. I was used to a forester, and I never thought a minivan could handle so well. I'm assuming the same would be true for the Sedona. In your situation, I'd probably keep watching for deals on a new Sedona.

Best of luck.

Rebecca

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC