Installs in BWM 335I, VW Eos

lovinwaves

Has anyone done or seen an install in a BMW 3 series, or VW Eos. DH is looking at these cars, but of course I am wondering about install. It would be two rear-facing Marathons. Not that the seats would be in there a lot, but I just want to make sure if they had to be in there they would fit. I don't know if the 3 series 335I is a different size than the other 3 series coupes but I don't think so. We were going to take the Marathon's with us to try it out on the test ddrive, but I didn't want to even try if I know they won't fit, KWIM...

Thanks in Advance! :)

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, of course the seats will fit rf in the back...you just can't sit anyone in front of them! lol ;) vw's and bmw's are notoriously bad about rf tether spots, too. really, it all depends on how tall you guys are up front whether it'll work, I think.
:)

lovinwaves

Well, another question is......

What seats would you recommend for those cars? DH and I will just go buy two new seats to fit "that" car if we need to. I just can't think of any? My kids will be rear-facing for quite sometime, and by the time they will be ff'ing we will probably have a different car, so rear-facing carseat recommendations are welcomed.

Car shopping use to be so much easier before kids. LOL:rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Boringly enough, I'd vote for sceneras...they are tall, yet short, and RF to thirty five pounds, install well in most cars, etc etc... :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yep, I got my WZ/BV installed RF in my cousin's 7 series, but for my sister's 3 series it was just lucky that my sister is so incredibly short that she still fit :rolleyes: :p The Scenera would be my suggestion, too....

ccjones

I've installed my MA in a coworker's 2005 335I sedan, and my neighbor's 2006 M3 and it fits RF in both vehicles, but you either need to move the front seats up really close to the dash, OR you need to make the front seatbacks really upright. I agree with Jools about buying Sceneras to put in there.

However, you should try to talk DH into getting the 2007 Type-S Acura TL, which comes in a 6-speed manual. It's starting price is pretty close to the BMW 335I, and you'd have WAY more room to fit the Marathons in there, plus easy spots to tether to under the front seats. In fact, yesterday just for the hell of it, I installed 3 across the back of DH's 2005 TL. I had the RF MA behind the driver's seat, a RF Radian in the center, and a FF Radian behind the passenger side. I even took pics, but the stupid flash card wasn't in my camera and I didn't realize that until after I uninstalled 2 of the seats. :mad:

BTW, the TL is "my" car for the next few weeks until I buy the Pilot! LOL I don't think DH is too thrilled that I'll be driving his baby. HAHAHA

Colleen

Yoshi

Well, another question is......

What seats would you recommend for those cars? DH and I will just go buy two new seats to fit "that" car if we need to. I just can't think of any? My kids will be rear-facing for quite sometime, and by the time they will be ff'ing we will probably have a different car, so rear-facing carseat recommendations are welcomed.

Car shopping use to be so much easier before kids. LOL:rolleyes:

Even though you said that your kids will be RF for a long time, in reality, it will only be a few years for each, tops. Will you keep your DH's new car longer than 2 yrs? Most of the extended RF kids mentioned on this forum are the exceptions because of their small frames and size at their ages. Most average sized kids are about 33-35 lbs between 3-4, so keep that in mind unless your kids are in the smaller percentiles, it really does sneak up on you fast! That being said, call the dealership and ask to bring along one of your Marathons to try out in one of the dealer cars. I'm sure if they want to make a sale they will indulge you;) Even though the Sceneras are a good choice, keep in mind your DD's torso height- the Scenera only is only about 15", right?

lovinwaves

Thanks everyone for your replies. Lots of good ideas :)

Well, actually DH is wanting an Acura TL, but I am wanting him to have something different. I have a feeling though after we get the seats installed in the 3 series he is going to use that as an excuse to get the TL. Oh well, it's his car I guess.

I was thinking of the Scenera also. Is it lighter than the MA and Skinnier all around. What I am trying to say is the MA is just so "Bulky". If I remember right the Scenera seems more basic and not so Big all around. That way it would be easier to slide into the backseat.

For those of you that have installed a MA in a 3 series did you have it in the recline mode only? Is it possible that I can try to install it in upright mode also, and still be safe?

The Scenera is definitely a good idea, for practicality, and for heaven's sake the price is right!!! :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC