cheap 5 point harness....

bbandit

Okay, after much turmoil, reading, thinking, etc...my daugther is coming out of her Parkway and in to the Radian that was ordered on Saturday. My mom has three grandkids that are high back booster w/ harness age. They see her quite frequently but only make short trips in her vehicle. She wants a new car seat to accommodate the grandkids. The youngest just turned 3 and the oldest is 5 but barely weighs 30 pounds. So, what seat would you recommend for short trips that is safe but inexpensive? Is the Apex the cheapest high weight harness seat? If she doesn't get an extended weight harness, what is the cheapest, reliable 40 pound harness seat that you'd recommend?

THANKS! You have no idea how helpful you all have been to me!

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
The Cosco Scenera is a good seat that harnesses to 40 lbs, and can almost always be found on sale for $40. You would have to check the 5 yr olds height to see if he/she would fit, keeping in mind that the shoulders have to be at or below the top harness slots, and the tops of the ears cannot be above the seat shell. Other than that, I believe the Apex is the cheapest seat that harnesses past 40 lbs, but don't forget about the high seat backs required to use the Apex.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
While the Cosco Scenera is an inexpensive seat, it will likely not fit the older children. I have found most children outgrow it by height around 3yrs old. So unless the grandkids all have very short torso's, it likely will not work.

A good harnessed booster would probably be your best bet...but the cheapest you'll likely find is going to be around $70-$80. What ever you do, avoid the Cosco harnessed boosters like the plague...they have very low top harness heights, and won't buy you any more time over the Scenera, except the Apex. It has the taller harness heights & weight limits.

I like the Graco CarGo for a harnessed booster. You can find them for $70-$100. Just be sure what ever you go with, that is a front harness adjuster. Many of the lower end versions only adjust from the back. Another good one is the Evenflo Generations.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
most children outgrow it by height around 3yrs old
While that may be true, my DS will be 5 in 3 wks, is 39 lbs, and still fits in the Scenera, his shoulders are even with the top slots. You'd definitely have to check the height of the kids, though, and even if the Scenera works for now, it probably won't work for all of them for very long. I'm not sure if there are any seats that harness past 40 lbs that have harness slots significantly taller than the Scenera, but I'm sure someone else will know.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC