latch attachment q's

saoirse

i have a 2004 crv, it only has latch by the windows
the seat folds in 2 parts...a 2seat behind pass...a single behind driver

1. can i put my 2 1/2 year old (forward facing in a scenera) in the middle using 1 latch from the 2 seat and 1 latch from the single?

2. should I put him in the middle with shoulder belt and clip?

I have him in the first way right now

3. when I add our infant seat (older graco snugride) for the new babe (due Aug) do I need to put each by a window or can I try jamm them side by side...one behind pass with latch and one in middle with seatbelt and clip?

for q number 3 I am thinking that I will have to put one by each window just so my young fella won't be poking at the baby all of the time...lol

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
1 and 2. No, Honda doesn't allow you to install in the center using/"borrowing" the outboard lower LATCH anchors. You'll need to reinstall the Scenera with the seatbelt in the center, provided that you can achieve a proper installation with less than 1 inch of movement at the carseat's belt path, or outboard using the outboard lower LATCH anchors or outboard using the seatbelt. For a seatbelt installation, you wouldn't necessarily need to use the H-shaped metal locking clip that came with your Scenera. I don't recall if your car has a lap-only belt in the center, but if it does, then you wouldn't use a locking clip on it at all because they're only intended to be used on a lap-shoulder belt, and the lap belt locks by virtue of being buckled and tightened up properly. The lap-shoulder seatbelts in your CRV are lockable at the shoulder belt retractor - you pull the shoulder belt out fully from the retractor to engage the locking mechanism - it will make a clicking sound as you feed the shoulder belt back into the retractor when the locking mechanism engages. If you're doing a rear facing installation and you find that the shoulder belt's locking mechanism causes the carseat to tilt over time, you do have the option of using the metal locking clip on the seatbelt within 1 inch of the buckle instead of locking the seatbelt at the retractor. More pointers about seatbelt types, how they lock, and how and when to use a locking clip are in this excellent primer at: http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm

3. If it's possible to properly install both carseats side by side with independently tight installations with less than 1 inch of movement at their respective belt paths, the general rule of thumb to try to follow is to place a rear facing child outboard in the less protected vehicle seating position due to the added protection of rear facing, and a less protected forward facing child in the technically safer center spot. That's the theoretically optimal recommendation, but reality also plays a role, as you've noted. :)If it's not feasible for family harmony and minimizing driver distraction to have both kiddos ride side by side, then the solution would be to install both carseats outboard, and also to factor in whether you parallel park on the street frequently, or do curbside daycare/school dropoffs and pickups when you choose a seating arrangement in your car.

saoirse

wow thank you!
another question

My middle seat...the seat belt is in 2 pieces...one piece hangs out of the way in the ceiling until you are ready to use it...then you bring it down and attach it to the seat...is it still safe or should i upt him by the window?

that is what you mean by outboard...by the window

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The two piece center belt is safe as long as you can achieve a proper installation with it. Yes, outboard is on the side, by the window. :)

U

Unregistered

I just moved him to the window and put my neighbours infant seat behind my drivers seat
thank you!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC