Baby Jogger or something else??

Mama Jo

I know everyone raves about their Baby Joggers as their everyday strollers, but I was curious if they're actually good for running?

The last jogging stroller I had was terrible and I ended up never using it. I need something that will work. I wear DS when I walk... but I can't really wear him when I run lol. And I'm tired of running in the dark after he goes to bed (because he won't let me leave the house when he's awake! lol)

There's no way in h&!! I can afford a new Baby Jogger, but I was secretly hoping to maybe find a good a deal on CL or something... or if you have better suggestions please throw them my way!!

ADS

marjen

Well, the Baby Joggers that most people on here talk about are the City Series, and they're not meant for jogging. They're basically an all-terrain stroller. I know they make some for jogging, but I don't know much about them.

(I had a really crappy jogging stroller before too...it was awful! lol)

rochelle

There's no way in h&!! I can afford a new Baby Jogger, but I was secretly hoping to maybe find a good a deal on CL or something... or if you have better suggestions please throw them my way!!

the Baby Joggers are all terrain for their city series. their performance series are for jogging.
http://www.babyjogger.com/perf_dbl_dtl.aspx

the Bob Dualie for serious jogging. you can find the SUS and Ironman at craigslist at a good price

SUS
http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller_accessories.php?product_id=18

Ironman
http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller_accessories.php?product_id=19

Jennifer mom to my 7

the Baby Joggers are all terrain for their city series. their performance series are for jogging.
http://www.babyjogger.com/perf_dbl_dtl.aspx

the Bob Dualie for serious jogging. you can find the SUS and Ironman at craigslist at a good price

SUS
http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller_accessories.php?product_id=18

Ironman
http://www.bobgear.com/strollers/stroller_accessories.php?product_id=19

I see Rochelle listed the doubles, but I think you want a single, correct? But what she said is true about the baby joggers (and even the other swivel wheeled at strollers). If you are truely a jogger/runner, you will really benefit from something fixed wheel with a hand brake (and tether). The bob revolution gets around the hand brake by linking the tether to the brake so if you fell or something, and were holding the tether like you are supposed to, it will lock the stroller. The revolution wheel also locks out, to make the wheel base longer which is supposed to make the ride better? The bob also has a chest clip:thumbsup:

Otherwise, I have heard raves about the bob ironman from true runners, as the baby jogger performance and Q series. HTH

Mama Jo

As for the Baby Joggers - I wasn't thinking of running with a City Mini :p Maybe I should have specified... just wondering if anyone had an opinion about the actual running strollers and if they were good or not.

I do prefer a fixed wheel, but I would also go for a swivel wheel that locks.

The last "jogger" I had was a swivel front wheel that didn't lock. I got rid of it.

And yes, just looking for a single jogger. I was shopping for a double stroller not too long ago but that was just for trips to the zoo and stuff when I have the step kids. Not for running.

Jennifer mom to my 7

If you keep your eye on craigslist, you should be able to find an older bob or baby jogger there, you just have to be persistant. And check the surrounding area craigslists also. Or maybe ebay?

lovinwaves

Ok, I am going to clarify some things about the "Baby Jogger" brand strollers:

The City Series strollers are NOT all all-terrain. Just the Elite, and Classic are.

All-Terrain does NOT equal Jogging stroller.

Baby Jogger DOES however make some awesome high-performance joggers.
http://www.babyjogger.com/joggers_strollers.aspx (bottom three in the photographs)

THAT is what you want for jogging. Now, since you said you can't afford new, I would look on your craigslist for some older Baby Jogger brand jogging strollers. I would make this your dedicated true jogging stroller and not use it as your all-around stroller, that's because you are going to want very large wheels and a fixed front wheel.

To be a good performing "true" jogger the stroller really needs to have these features:

Large wheels. The larger the wheels the better.

Fixed Handlebar

Fixed Frontwheel (If they want a swivel that locks, then get a BOB. It will lock FORWARD, which makes it more like a true jogger.)

Suspension. If they are going to be 'off-road' a bit, then the suspension will really be important. Also keep in mind though that some people don't like that squishy, givey feel of a lose suspension. Make sure the suspension can be tight enough to fit the joggers preference.

Tires. Thinner tires are good for road, or solid paved paths. Look for a more rugged, thicker, pokier :)p) tire for off-road.

vonfirmath

I see Rochelle listed the doubles, but I think you want a single, correct? But what she said is true about the baby joggers (and even the other swivel wheeled at strollers). If you are truely a jogger/runner, you will really benefit from something fixed wheel with a hand brake (and tether). The bob revolution gets around the hand brake by linking the tether to the brake so if you fell or something, and were holding the tether like you are supposed to, it will lock the stroller. The revolution wheel also locks out, to make the wheel base longer which is supposed to make the ride better? The bob also has a chest clip:thumbsup:

Interesting. I was at Once Upon a Child this weekend and a couple were looking at the joggers and the sales clerk was steering them toward the one with a swivel wheel "That one is fixed wheel, this one (new!) with the swivel wheel works better for jogging"

lovinwaves

Interesting. I was at Once Upon a Child this weekend and a couple were looking at the joggers and the sales clerk was steering them toward the one with a swivel wheel "That one is fixed wheel, this one (new!) with the swivel wheel works better for jogging"

oh, no, no, no! LOL That's an accident waiting to happen :eek: Imagine jogging with a shopping cart, well that's what happens when you try to jog with a swivel...the front wheel will start to do that shopping cart wobble thing.

Mama Jo

Yeah... they know about as much about the items they're selling as the carseat salespeople at BRU. :rolleyes:

And yes, Lovin, I'm just looking for a dedicated running stroller. I have a decent every-day stroller, so I prefer a fixed wheel for the jogger. A swivel wheel would be acceptable if it locked forward, but I'd prefer just a fixed wheel since I'd never have a real reason to unlock it anyway.

I've had a couple different joggers and hated both of them. One was a swivel wheel that didn't lock. (My mom bought it for me.) And the other had a fixed wheel but it was a cheap one and I could never for the life of me get the front wheel on evenly so the stroller always pulled to the left.

If I have to save up for a new GOOD jogger, I will. But if I could find one gently used, that would be preferable. And the larger the wheels, the better.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Mama Jo

Any opinions on the BOB Ironman?? The wheels look kind of small, and more suited for off-road... but do you think it would be ok for pavement running too? Might slow me down a little... but I'm not a sprinter, so it might not be such a big deal. LOL

BW1426

Any opinions on the BOB Ironman?? The wheels look kind of small, and more suited for off-road... but do you think it would be ok for pavement running too? Might slow me down a little... but I'm not a sprinter, so it might not be such a big deal. LOL

The Ironman is designed for on-road running. The wheels are not small. The BOB SUS had nubbier tires for trail running. I like my Ironman.

With the Baby Joggers, the guy at Moosejaw showed me how the wheels lock. He said the Revolution is better for light jogging than any of the current swivel wheel BJs because the Baby Jogger wheel turns in and then locks creating a shorter wheel base while the BOB revolution's wheel swivels out and then locks, creating a longer wheel base.

The Baby Jogger Q Series is nice, thought discontinued. I like the Q series because it has a taller seat back than the BOBs. A couple places still have it. [http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767154

Don't buy a BOB without trying kiddo in it. Bubby's head is way close to the top and he's only 2.5. Also, I would totally offer $175 for the ironman.

Mama Jo

The Baby Jogger Q Series is nice, thought discontinued. I like the Q series because it has a taller seat back than the BOBs. A couple places still have it. [http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767154

Thanks! That's not a bad price for the single!

Don't buy a BOB without trying kiddo in it. Bubby's head is way close to the top and he's only 2.5. Also, I would totally offer $175 for the ironman.

Elias is only 10 months right now, so it would be hard to tell how quickly he'd outgrow it I guess... I offered the guy $150, we'll see what he says. I know he still has it and I also know most of my local CL buyers are cheap-o's. LOL. We rarely see anything nice like a BOB or Baby Jogger. If I can get the BOB for $150 I'll probably go that way. But if not, $200 isn't a bad deal for that BJQ series! :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC