5 lber in a safeseat

my2kidsSafe

A friend of mine had a 3 lb premiee about a month ago. He is now 4 weeks and up to 5.5 lbs. He should be coming home at the end of the week. She has a safeseat for him. Will he fit in it ok.

ADS

barnmama25

As long as the baby is right at the bottom harness slot and the harness tightens down enough around him, then yes the SafeSeat will work. If he is way below the bottom slot and the harness does not fit him properly (remember there are notches in the belts that you adjust to make the harness fit smaller babies) then no it will not work for him. The only thing they can do is try him in the seat.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ilana018.jpg

That's Ilana at 6.5#, she barely fit IMO. The straps were as tight as they could go on her.

TheNimpsGirl

It really depends. My son was 7.5 lbs when he left the hospital and 20.5 inches (I don't know torso) and he just barely fit due to height. His shoulders were even with the bottom slots and quite honestly, if he had been even one hair shorter I would have sent DH to go get KF30 (and looking back maybe I should have cause I did want a KF but argued with myself about the price :rolleyes: plus I was a little out of it from an unplanned c-section and didn't consider it till the 90 days was past). I also had to pull the straps all the way and fiddled with it for some time getting all the slack out. If the next babe is any shorter I won't hesitate to pick up something else.

Can she test him in it first?

Hope your friend can find a seat that works!

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
I have rarely seen teenie babies fit well in a safeseat. They also rarely pass their carseat test in it, as they aren't really positioned properly....

bp2002

I've only had one kid fail the carseat test in a safeseat.. and it wasnt failing bc of not breathing,.... she simply was too small for the safeseat.

it all really depends on the kiddo. If the baby is close to going home, the mom should be able to test her out in the safeseat and see how she fits, if she is too small for it, she can get a different seat ..

Lea_Ontario

I've seen 4 itty-bitty babies in SafeSeats who simply do NOT fit properly.

All 4 under 6 lbs. Just too short in the torso to fit the seat properly.

miraclebabies

My 32 weeker came home in her SS1 at a even 5lbs. She fit perfect, she was about 18in long. She passed the carseat test in the NICU and so she came home in it. It fits her really well still at over 12lbs and 6mon old.

Maedze

And I had a seven.five pound post term baby be eaten alive by the SS1.

It might fit, but a Keyfit would be a surer bet.

MomE

My 32 weeker came home in her SS1 at a even 5lbs. She fit perfect, she was about 18in long. She passed the carseat test in the NICU and so she came home in it. It fits her really well still at over 12lbs and 6mon old.

My baby was 38 weeks, but she was just 18 inches too. She was a little more than 5.5 pounds when we brought her home. She fit perfect too. Well, she was really close to not fitting, but she DID fit. I wasn't paying attention to this at the time, but she is currently (and has been since I've been paying attention) mostly torso. She's got way more torso than legs. Her legs just did grow, but she's still more torso. So maybe she was when she left the hospital too.

I love the safeseat! My daughter is now 16 months old and just about outgrown (I'm talking maybe she has a quarter of an inch left to grow). And it helped me through so many tough times (an accident, ear infections, a baby that just wouldn't sleep anywhere by this seat and my arms). It's great! I'm going to miss it when the convertible is in the car in a few days! :(

But, all that said, it's really hard to say what seat will fit a child based only on weight. Obviously we've all had different experiences!

Maedze

And it helped me through so many tough times (an accident, ear infections, a baby that just wouldn't sleep anywhere by this seat and my arms). It's great! I'm going to miss it when the convertible is in the car in a few days! :(

Was the seat you are currently using involved in the accident? :confused:

MomE

Was the seat you are currently using involved in the accident? :confused:

I guess I should learn to always clarify that statement around here.... No, I replaced that seat that was in the accident with a new seat of the same make, model, and pattern. :D

Maedze

Yes, always clarify :whistle:

Well done :thumbsup:

One of the reasons I personally always make sure to clarify is that a great many more people read, or casually browse, these forums than are actual members, and it's important, I think, that a casual statement not lead to confusion or misuse out in the great internet world :D

MomE

Yes, always clarify :whistle:

Well done :thumbsup:

One of the reasons I personally always make sure to clarify is that a great many more people read, or casually browse, these forums than are actual members, and it's important, I think, that a casual statement not lead to confusion or misuse out in the great internet world :D

I'm glad you do! Sometimes when I'm typing, I know what I mean (or did). But I don't think about how others might read it. And I agree, we don't want to put anything out there that could lead to misuse or confusion (especially in the internet world!).

By the way, your daughter in your siggie is sooo cute! She looks like my friend's daughter!

There is no way my daycare girl who was 7 pounds 3 oz would of fit in the safeseat when she was born.

My cousins were 3 and 4 pounds when they went home(twins) and they did not fit in the snugride at all.

I know for a face that Logan would not of fit in the safeseat at all at birth(and he was 7 pounds 1 oz dropped to 6 pounds 14 oz.

minismom

My dd fit at 18" and 5.5lbs. But it still seemed like the seat was swallowing her. she looked too small for the first month. But it did fit. I'm getting a keyfit for this baby just in case he's small too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC