Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Jennifer mom to my 7's Avatar

Tell me what YOU think

So, baby needs a new seat, probably like yesterday. But I do have an extra, so I think I may need to pull down the freedom marathon cover to put on the tiffany decathlon until I figure this out! (youngest 2 are boys and dd outgrew the dc)

So, ds is about 19-20 pounds at just under 7 months, and I think has outgrown the keyfit by height. DD had a 14.5 inch torso and was 22 pounds at 1 year. I think this one will follow her growth (and the 6 year olds for that matter). Dd also outgrew the dc by weight (33 pounds, 36.5 inches) at 25 months, and was close in height also (15.5 inch torso). NOt sure when she got to 35 pounds though, but I don't think it was more than 2-3 months after.

Being as baby is heavier now, and seems to have the same torso growth, I am thinking the my ride would be the best bet for him. Even with how much I want a cow moo boulevard. I am hoping to get dh to agree to eventually let me get both but for now I just need to decide on 1. With his stats, what do you all think? almost 7 months, ~19-20 pounds, ~27 inches, longgg torso (over 11.5 inches, outgrown keyfit I am pretty sure...I think his neck may have grown)
    Thanks ladies! and gentlemen.
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Tell me what YOU think

I think it's hard to tell- but it does seem the my ride lasts about the same amount of time as the 65 lb britax convertibles from the pictures I've seen (even though the shell is about 1 inch shorter, kids just fit it different).
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

I think you don't sound sure if he's outgrown the KF by height.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    I think you don't sound sure if he's outgrown the KF by height.
    Well, if he hasn't actually outgrown it "just" yet, it is a matter of days. I am sure he is probably at least "at" the 1 inch mark, kwim? But, like I said, I do have a seat I can use, just don't want to go switching depending on what vehicle we take (ha, not that we go anywhere that much anyway). I will take pics tomorrow, and hopefully get him to settle a bit before hand. Last time I put him in the keyfit I think he was only about .5 inch from the top, but maybe he was just sitting weird, kwim?
    Whatever Wendy said

"No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you, after all, you're the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." -Unknown

If your choices for a new seat are a Britax or a My Ride, I'd go with the MR. It'll last the same by height, but will give you the added weight if you need it. Now if it were the MR vs the TF or RN.....I don't know. But probobly still the MR.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

With such a long torso what about a TF? It will last you longer than either the MR or the Britax seats. Another option would be to use the DC untill the ARB TF comes out if you like the tether options with the Britax, but with you thinking about a MR then it sounds like you would be okay without a tether. These are just my thoughts. However the MR sounds like a promising seat, so if you just wanted it b/c you want it then go for it. I was just offering another option for longer RF!
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

What worries me is him hitting the 35 pounds before 2. I have thought about the ARB trufit, but I am not sure I will be able to get used to the continuous harness. Plus I think there is alot of "extra" room in the seat itself (although ds may need it). I have been able to convince my husband to take me out today because I need some yarn, so he is going to let me stop at BRU also and see if they have the MR there. I am not sold on the radian, plus I would need to get it at less than a 45* angle on pretty flat seats. And there is no putting it in the middle since it is a 9 passenger conversion van with a total of 6 captain's chairs and 1 rear bench. Thanks for the feedback, though. It is greatly appreciated.

and yes, I may just want the myride to have a myride
    Whatever Wendy said

What type of van do you have? I need more seating room and would love all of those captains chairs?
    Amanda

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

I think the MR is the shortest of the Higher Weight seats, but I think you need one so you can help answer questions about it here (So easy to spend other people's money, isn't it? lol)
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    I think the MR is the shortest of the Higher Weight seats, but I think you need one so you can help answer questions about it here (So easy to spend other people's money, isn't it? lol)
    Yes, I know. But it also seems like one of those magical seats where some kids have more room in it and some kids have less room, know what I mean?

Oh, and it is a gmc extended van with an explorer conversion. THe 4 rear captain's chairs have full latch, and there is an additional tether anchor for the middle of the bench.

Edited to add: So I do think I have a little more time to decide. It seems he has about an inch to grow above his head, and I think he is between 19 and 20 pounds (do not think he is over 20 yet, of course this is in a diaper only).
    Last edited by Jennifer mom to my 7; 05-17-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    Whatever Wendy said