Let me get the Regent thing strait

ADS
T

TraceyS/FL

Ferrari - you forgot Ferrari ;)

I didn't see Toyota on the list either.

WHY is my Honda so dumb??????

jenny03

It says at the bottom to defer to the child seat manufacturer manual if the vehicle isn't listed. I don't know, I have a Toyota Sienna and my Regent is tethered. Granted my daughter isn't 50 pounds yet, but I plan on leaving it tethered. It's gotta be better than not tethering at all, or using a booster. She's only 4.

Yoshi

(Sorry if this is hijacking) but as per that document, my Subaru has a 60#limit on LATCH and Tether anchors, so could someone in the know clarify these 2 questions...

1. Can leave my Regent with LATCH and Tethered until 60#, or do I have to use the LATCH limit of 48# that is so commonly known (is that Britax's limit)?

2. And does that mean 60# of child PLUS the CR or Weight of CR + Child's weight must not be more than 60# combined?

I am very excited if the 60# thing is true, because that would mean that I'd have a good reason to keep this car, even though I'm itching for a different one and we can't afford it right now!:rolleyes: I prefer LATCH in this car, because the seatbelt stalks are so long, and I get a better install. TIA!

Amaris

Ok, just to make sure on this since we are thinking about getting a regent. The regent HAS to be tethered over 50lbs right? So I have a Honda Odyssey (2003) and from what I can find out the limit on the latches is 40lbs. Is this also the weight limit on the tether? Our oldest is in a marathon, installed with a seatbelt, and I have it tethered. We weighed him yesterday and he's now 45lbs. Should I not have his seat tethered?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
(Sorry if this is hijacking) but as per that document, my Subaru has a 60#limit on LATCH and Tether anchors, so could someone in the know clarify these 2 questions...

1. Can leave my Regent with LATCH and Tethered until 60#, or do I have to use the LATCH limit of 48# that is so commonly known (is that Britax's limit)?

2. And does that mean 60# of child PLUS the CR or Weight of CR + Child's weight must not be more than 60# combined?

I am very excited if the 60# thing is true, because that would mean that I'd have a good reason to keep this car, even though I'm itching for a different one and we can't afford it right now!:rolleyes: I prefer LATCH in this car, because the seatbelt stalks are so long, and I get a better install. TIA!

Tina,

No you can not use your Regent with LATCH to 60lbs. Britax LATCH limits on all their seats are 48lbs. Once your child hits 48lbs then you need to install the Regent with the vehicle seatbelt.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Ok, just to make sure on this since we are thinking about getting a regent. The regent HAS to be tethered over 50lbs right? So I have a Honda Odyssey (2003) and from what I can find out the limit on the latches is 40lbs. Is this also the weight limit on the tether? Our oldest is in a marathon, installed with a seatbelt, and I have it tethered. We weighed him yesterday and he's now 45lbs. Should I not have his seat tethered?

Here is a good summary on top tethers for higher weight limit seats.

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
So, the regent needs to be tethered 50-85 lb according to the user manual.
According to http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/LATCHApp_B_pg105.pdf
Only ford, lincoln, mercury, and not-listed vehicles do this. (and the only non-listed vehicles I can think of are hyundai and lamborghini).

My plan was to get a Honda and a Regent. This is a bad plan:( , right?

These companies have a top tether weight up to 60lbs for hard shelled seats like the Regent and then harness/vest like the Safe Rider vest to 80lbs since there is no seat weight in this type of seat up. But, I posted a follow up to tethering vehicles that have lower top tether anchors (40-48lbs) in my previous post. Please read that for a more throu understanding on top tethers.

Yoshi

Thanks!- But then why does Subaru have lower anchors that go to 60#?? Just for the heck of it? I guess though, I could continue to use the top tether to 60# since Subaru ok's it and the Regent REQUIRES it after 50#? That is better than nothing!:eek:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Thanks!- But then why does Subaru have lower anchors that go to 60#?? Just for the heck of it? I guess though, I could continue to use the top tether to 60# since Subaru ok's it and the Regent REQUIRES it after 50#? That is better than nothing!:eek:

I guess because their vehicles passed with a LATCH limit of 60lbs. One day I think car seats will have higher LATCH limits so at least Subaru will be a head of the game.

Also read that article I posted on top tethering past the vehicle tether weight limits. Then make your conclusion on top tethering past the 60lbs for your vehicle.

Synchro246

Here is a good summary on top tethers for higher weight limit seats.

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm
In light of the above artice I am choosing to always use the tether, no matter the weight limit on the achor, HOWEVER if the seat REQUIRES the tether (such as the regent) then I would use that seat ONLY in a car with tether anchors rated for that weight-KWIM?

Are there any other seats that require tether for proper install?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
In light of the above artice I am choosing to always use the tether, no matter the weight limit on the achor, HOWEVER if the seat REQUIRES the tether (such as the regent) then I would use that seat ONLY in a car with tether anchors rated for that weight-KWIM?

Are there any other seats that require tether for proper install?

Okay I am confused you are choosing to use the top tether past it's weight limit even on higher weight limit seats say like the Marathon or Apex but not on the Regent? Just want to make sure I am understand your post.

The Regent is the only high weight limit seat besides the special needs seats that require a top tether past a certain weight limit.

Yoshi

Also read that article I posted on top tethering past the vehicle tether weight limits. Then make your conclusion on top tethering past the 60lbs for your vehicle.

Jenny- I did read the article and thank you so much- this info is extremely valuable in making that decision.
:)

Kellyr2

My latch goes to 48. My ds is 50 lbs. I switched to the seatbelt installation, but I personally made the decision to keep tethering as long as he's in the seat. From everything I've been told by techs here, if the top tether failed, it would fail AFTER having held the seat in place first, so it's not hurting anything to have that extra measure in place. However, I'd like to get some of the heavy duty tether anchors installed as well, and I'd use those instead.

edited because some others were posting at the same time as me -
Laura - so in a vehicle with 40 lb tether limits, you'd be comfortable using a tether with a 65 pound child in a Marathon, because the tether is optional in that case, but you would not use a Regent in that vehicle, because the tether is required? Trying to see if I understand you right.

There are NO vehicles that allow you to tether to 80 lbs, and very few who say their tether anchors are good even to 65 lbs. So you'd be severely limiting your options with the Regent, and totally negating the point of buying a Regent over a Marathon - that extra 15 lbs of harnessing.

Synchro246

Okay I am confused you are choosing to use the top tether past it's weight limit even on higher weight limit seats say like the Marathon or Apex but not on the Regent? Just want to make sure I am understand your post.

The Regent is the only high weight limit seat besides the special needs seats that require a top tether past a certain weight limit.

I would install a seat(that doesn't require tether) in a car and use the tether anyway- just because it's one more point of fastening and I don't think the risks of tethering past the weight limit outweigh the benefits.
I would install the regent with the tether ONLY in a car with tether anchors rated for the weight of my child because it seems from the manual that the safety of the seat depends on the tether anchor. If my son were 40 lb and we had a car with 48lb tether anchors I would use the regent in it up to 48 lb. After that it's either a new car or a new seat for me. I would not install the regent in a car with tether anchors rated for less than my child's weight.

Is that clearer?:)

Synchro246

edited because some others were posting at the same time as me -
Laura - so in a vehicle with 40 lb tether limits, you'd be comfortable using a tether with a 65 pound child in a Marathon, because the tether is optional in that case, but you would not use a Regent in that vehicle, because the tether is required? Trying to see if I understand you right.

There are NO vehicles that allow you to tether to 80 lbs, and very few who say their tether anchors are good even to 65 lbs. So you'd be severely limiting your options with the Regent, and totally negating the point of buying a Regent over a Marathon - that extra 15 lbs of harnessing.

Yes, you got me right.
Well, the cars that aren't listed on that chart say to defer to the carseat manufacturer- so by default they are saying 80lb is OK. I want that exta 15lb of harnessing, so I was going to buy a car not on that list. Is this faulty logic?

ETA: I looked at the chart agian and it said ford/lincoln/mercury are ok up to 80 if it's a harness/vest, 60 if it's a shell. What's the difference?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Yes, you got me right.
Well, the cars that aren't listed on that chart say to defer to the carseat manufacturer- so by default they are saying 80lb is OK. I want that exta 15lb of harnessing, so I was going to buy a car not on that list. Is this faulty logic?

ETA: I looked at the chart agian and it said ford/lincoln/mercury are ok up to 80 if it's a harness/vest, 60 if it's a shell. What's the difference?

60lbs if it's a shell seat (hard plastic seat like the Regent or any carseat in general). The 80lbs if it's a harness/vest means a Safe Rider Vest which acts like a 5pt harness but without the actual hard shell seat. While a great system not sure how convinent it would be for everyday use.
thunms.jpg

Kellyr2

Before getting a vehicle not on the list, I'd check with the manual and then call the manufacturer. I am pretty sure I've heard that Toyota does indeed have a 40 or 48 lb limit.

Amaris

So what cars manufactures a latch system capable of safely holding a regent? I called toyota and was told 48lbs, a friend called and was told 40, so it seems they are out also. Would Britax actually make a seat that is virtually unusable due to the fact that it can't be installed following their instructions? Also, is it, in your opinion, dangerous in any way to still have my 45lbs son tethered? Again, he is in a marathon that is installed with the seatbelt, not latch connectors.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC