When to start booster training

teacher01

I am just curious when you would start booster training. My son is 4, 40" and 34 lbs. I am not planning on puting him in a booster ANYTIME SOON, however, I was wondering when I should start booster training. Right now he is in a DC and Regent. When he outgrows the DC, I will probably get a FR. Between December and now, he has gained no weight, so he will probably not hit 40 lbs for a long time. He is very active and doesn't eat alot of junk food. Probably the only time he would use a booster is when riding with a friend or if we had a friend riding with us that needed the harness.

TIA

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
4 AND 40 or at least age 6 and mature - I'd be very hesitant to put a child under 40 pounds in a booster because of the submarining risk. If the new Parkway comes out with the anti-submarine clip I'd probably start booster training with that and not use any other booster until 40 pounds is reached.

mommaon112903

Josef is also slow to gain weight, and has a history of putting on weight then dropping 5+lbs in a short time :( When we first started him in a booster, mid March, he was 42lbs and had been like that for a while. Easter break comes along and my kiddo was down to 35lbs :eek: He is back up to 38-39lbs now and fitting great in his booster. I would have never thought about booster training a year ago-he was just too active. He is doing VERY well in his booster, and is wanting one for momma's car.

I can not wait to see the new Parkway-I REALLY hope it has the anti-submarine clip on it. If it does this is the booster that Josef will get for my car, since my car is the one we take longer drives in and that is where I worry about him getting out of position.

Mama!

We started somewhere around age 5 and 36 ish lbs. A 5 minute trip to the post office, etc.

Now , at almost 6, she's 41 ish lbs and could handle about 80% booster use probably.

Michael was in a booster at 3 years old(No back), before I knew better :whistle: He sat terrible in a booster from 3 years-5 1/2 years old. He got a regent at 4 1/2 years old and then went back in a booster a month before he was 6.

He is 6 years 6 months old and does wonderful in a booster. He is also 51 pounds and 48 inches.

Logan is 4 years 3 1/2 months old, 35 pounds, 41 inches. He sits perfect in a booster(had to do it 3 times in an emergency). I would have no issues with him in a booster, but his weight is what concerns me and I do think that 5 point harnesses are safer.
I see no reason in booster training him. He is very calm in the car and I see no point for him to be in a booster as he will fit in a harnessed seat until at least 7 years old. ;-) He will go into a booster in grandparents vehicle(which is rarely used) when he hits 40 pounds. If they go on longer trips where he will fall asleep he will go in his harnessed seat.

Maedze

As a parent, I would wait until the child was either 4 and 40 or at LEAST 6 if not yet forty (but at least 30).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC