I need a hand sorting out who should sit where...

mom1mg

We are parking one car for at least a year while I'm on mat leave. (My Rondo will become a lawn ornament :() We are keeping hubby's truck on the road because we use it for towing etc. In my Rondo I never really thought about SIP because I have airbags everywhere (12) but the truck doesn't have any for the back seats.

So who should go where -
2002 GMC Sierra
Suicide Doors (4 doors but the back ones open opposite of a usual door.)
Latch on both outboard positions in the back
Middle back seat has NO HEADREST AND NO SHOULDER BELT!
Latch on the passenger front seat AND ability to turn off the airbag

Kids are-
61/2 riding in a harnessed truefit then moving into a booster with sip (monterey maybe?)
51/2 riding in a harnessed in a generations
Newborn in a bucket (not sure what brand) then moving into the truefit

I am thinking that the rear-faced passenger is the safest person in the truck right? So I was maybe going to outboard the baby (first in the bucket and then the truefit), put the generations in the middle since it seems to have the least amount of sip and the truefit (then monterey or ?) outboard on the other side. Is this the safest plan?

I also don't think I should rear-face anyone in the middle because of the no headrest - in an accident would a rear faced seat smash into the glass window to the cab? I could always use the front seat too since I have latch etc there.

Thanks for reading my LONG post any suggestions are appreciated:)

ADS

Pixels

I am thinking that the rear-faced passenger is the safest person in the truck right? So I was maybe going to outboard the baby (first in the bucket and then the truefit), put the generations in the middle since it seems to have the least amount of sip and the truefit (then monterey or ?) outboard on the other side. Is this the safest plan?
:thumbsup: Exactly what I would suggest.

I also don't think I should rear-face anyone in the middle because of the no headrest - in an accident would a rear faced seat smash into the glass window to the cab? I could always use the front seat too since I have latch etc there.
I wouldn't rear face in the middle for now, but not for those reasons. Like you said above, the rear facer is the most protected person, so leave the center spot for a forward facing, harnessed seat.

When your 5 1/2 year old moves to a booster, then rear face in the middle (because of no shoulder belt). If you're worried about face in glass, get a seat that has rebound control (rear facing tethering or an anti rebound bar). I wouldn't move the rear facer to the front (a known less safe thing) instead of leaving them in the back with the glass (an unknown).

mom1mg

YAY!
I have learned soooo much here. I can't believe I figured it out right. (If my reasons may not have been - LOL)
THANKS!:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC