Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Frontier - fit difference in house vs. installed

We're flying to Vancouver tomorrow and dd will be using one of Quassee's seats which will already be installed when we're picked up at the airport. I sat her in a Frontier at work and she's almost even with the 3rd highest harness position in store. I know the amount of growing room that she typically loses once seats are installed in my vehicle, but haven't seen with the Frontier - or an Ody, to know how much change there is between house fit vs. vehicle fit.

Can anyone help me? I know there are a few ody owners and lots of frontier owners and hopefully somebody may know. I'm thinking since she's almost even with that position that it's best to have her 2nd highest so that she doesn't end up above the straps when she sits in it installed, but I just wanted to double check. If it ends up that the growing room won't change much when it's installed in an ody then it would be better to leave them one lower.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Frontier - fit difference in house vs. installed

I'd just go with the higher setting, to be safe. Better too high than too low IMO

Des - Mama to:
    Paige - 66lbs, 9 yrs old - Purple Diono Monterey and Pink TurboBooster, Mikaylah - 55lbs, 7 yrs old - Pink Diono Monterey & Rainbow Butterfly TurboBooster, Kiara - 37lbs, 3 years old! - FF Monet True Fit and RF Flora Radian XTSL

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Yeah, I'd go with the higher notch. I'd know off the top of my head if I weren't using it primarily as a booster all this time, lol.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Senior Community Member MOM25BOYS's Avatar

Don't have an Oddy, but DS2 was just under the next to top slots on the Frontier when I tried him in it in the house. When I went to install it in my suv it bumped him up enough that he was a smidge over the slot and needed to be moved to the top position. Hope this helps and have a safe trip.
    Elizabeth SAHM to 5 Boys and 1 Fuzzy Dog ...
    Aaron/13yrs-130lbs~Caleb/10yrs-70lbs/Harmony Booster
    Jacob/9yrs-67lbs/Harmony Booster~Gabriel/7yrs-54lbs/Monterey~Matthew/5yrs-41lbs/Monterey~Otto/8mths-21lbs/Solvit Pet Harness

Yes I'd go with the higher one. I never tried my DD in the house with it, but tried DS non-installed and he was below the top slots and and installed in my 06 Ody he is over the top slots.

~ Sarah ~ CPS Advocate & Mom to:

~ Mikey ~ 8 ~ 56lbs & 54" ~ Monterey/Vivo ~
    ~ Julia ~ 6 ~ 48lbs & 49" ~ Regent/Frontier/Vivo ~

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Thanks guys, that's what I figured and I had pretty much decided to err on the side of just using the upper slots, but thought I'd ask just in case the Ody was one of those rare vehicles that you actually gained growing room.

Off to the airport very soon. We're using CARES on the plane so we'll see what the kids think of that.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Uh...maybe it's just me,but I can adjust my frontier while it's installed?? Down is harder, if the seat is resally pushed back against the seat, but pulling it UP is really easy...and of course,it's not like you have to retherad the harness or anything....I'd put it on the 3rd fromtop, and if it turns out you need to move it up,you *should* be able to just pull it up one more notch,right?? Can other people not do this in their cars?

Alex, 8 Katie, 12 and Annabelle Jan 2017

Senior Community Member Mama Jo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bobandjess99 View Post
    Uh...maybe it's just me,but I can adjust my frontier while it's installed?? Down is harder, if the seat is resally pushed back against the seat, but pulling it UP is really easy...and of course,it's not like you have to retherad the harness or anything....I'd put it on the 3rd fromtop, and if it turns out you need to move it up,you *should* be able to just pull it up one more notch,right?? Can other people not do this in their cars?
    I can, but only if I recline the seatback first.
    Mama to
    DD - 9 yrs. - FN booster, Vivo
    DS - 4 yrs. RNXT, RA50

You should be able to bring it up fairly easily as long as you recline the back a smidge.

Was it already in recline mode when you tried it on her? Because that eats up a lot of room.
    I'm glad you're a safe driver. I'm eating cereal and applying mascara using my rear view mirror while playing bejeweled on my iPhone. And I'm driving right behind you. 
    You're only as safe as the most dangerous driver on the road. Buckle accordingly.