I'm in love!!! -New YS. Pic heavy

fyrfightermomma

My Young Sport came today. Woohoo!! I think I'm in love. I've never had a seat install so easy in all my life. The installation is very different than what I'm used to and it took me a while to figure it out! The harness adjuster is like butter (just like the Signo) and the harness height adjusts pretty easily. It also fit my child as a booster awesome! I didn't take pics of that yet but will add them later. The lap belt is completely on her thighs. This would be an awesome booster training booster in a few years because I can't fathom how they could wiggle out of position while training or slump while they sleep.

I also have to commend the awesome customer service where I bought it. I had bought one last month from another retailer online. I got the seat and it was a 2005 :thumbsdown: I paid $250 for 2 years of use. I returned the seat and emailed several online retailers. Out of 4, 3 told me they can't check the DOM's prior to shipping and one informed me expiration doesn't matter. The last one-recarochildseats.com (a division of speedware motorsports) emailed me back immediately, giving me his personal office phone # and said I could call him with my order and he'd personally find one while I was on the phone with him that was a DOM I was happy with. But he said all should be fairly new. I skipped the phone call (cause I felt weird)

So I ordered. I got it today and it's ONE Month old! 3/19/09. I also got a handwritten postcard from the owner I had talked to (so on his own he put two and two together, that I had emailed a question and then ordered). He said he looked for the newest DOM for me and hand picked it :) And he hopes I enjoy the seat.

Also on their site, under the YS description is a big long blurb about ERFing and how kiddos should stay RFing until age 2 and beyond. :thumbsup:

The newer Recaro manuals are great! Very easy to read. My 07 Signo's were poorly written. There is a whole section on no bulky coats and to cover them up after. The important parts are highlighted and they are VERY clear on what the harness needs to look like and what positions you can and can't use.

So I honestly have to say, they have awesome customer service and if they raise the weight limit, I'm definitely getting one for my younger one when she hits 35 lbs (if it stays 40 lbs it's a waste of money for her!) and definitely gonna order from them again.

Here's some pics.

I have no idea why she looks the way she does all scrunched over! She liked the seat. It's pretty narrow though and by the time she's done RFing she'd only have 5 lbs left in the seat.

2 years, 30 lbs, 35"

100_2145.jpg

100_2146.jpg

4 years, 24 lbs, 40"
100_2147.jpg

100_2148.jpg

100_2151.jpg

Both kids loved the headwings. It's so similar to our Start that my oldest doesn't really mind the difference. And it's nice they raised the minimum weight limit also. My 05 one I got was 18 lbs and up and I think up until a year or so ago it was 18 lbs. Now it's 20

Why oh why didn't I discover this seat before?!!??!

ADS

Genevieve

CPST Instructor
My neighbor has a YS and I got to play with it a few days ago. I really liked it, too! It looks like it fits both of your daughters good, though I know your younger one won't be using it. Can you measure what the harness height is on the tallest setting? And what the tallest it can be for a booster? Thanks for the pics!

fyrfightermomma

My neighbor has a YS and I got to play with it a few days ago. I really liked it, too! It looks like it fits both of your daughters good, though I know your younger one won't be using it. Can you measure what the harness height is on the tallest setting? And what the tallest it can be for a booster? Thanks for the pics!

I'm no help cause I don't own a tape measure (is that pathetic??). But on searching online people get from 17-18" for a harness height but it is so reclined some people get more height than other 17" seats.

I couldn't find any info on how high the booster goes.

Sorry!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Coolness. How's the length of the adjuster strap? It used to be really short, so like the tall skinnies that fit in there, you'd need tweezers to pull the strap tight enough (lol, ok, not that short, but short).

No tape measure? <slap on wrist with wet noodle>

:)

fyrfightermomma

Coolness. How's the length of the adjuster strap? It used to be really short, so like the tall skinnies that fit in there, you'd need tweezers to pull the strap tight enough (lol, ok, not that short, but short).

No tape measure? <slap on wrist with wet noodle>

Still short :) She was fussing so much in my DH's car (a GN) because she likes the Start so much so I thought this was a happy medium. Now we are all happy! :)

Yes you can slap me with a wet noodle (i do have many of those!)

firemomof3

Great photos! I loved my Young Sport also! I'm just patiently waiting for Recaro to come out with a 50lb. harness......

Because then, it really would be the BEST ff seat!

Maedze

Very nice! :thumbsup:

It's not my favorite seat, but it has some lovely features. What became of the Start w/ Shield?

fyrfightermomma

Very nice! :thumbsup:

It's not my favorite seat, but it has some lovely features. What became of the Start w/ Shield?

It's her main seat in my car (she's in 90% of the time). She LOVES it. However she got used to that "closed in" feeling she started freaking out in the GN in my DH's car. She was saying she wanted her "snuggle" seat (cause the shield "snuggles" her)

So there was no way in the world I could get another Start or track down another shield so I figured I'd try this. It looks very very similar to the Start and hasn't fussed at all yet in the car. I think she thinks it's the same seat and she hasn't said anything about not having the shield yet :thumbsup:

So this will go in DH's car and I can get 3 across with it for whenever I get pregnant. She'll stay in the Start in my car. This is also nice for long trips because the shield isn't practical for a 6 hour drive :) No where to put a cup or snacks or anything or play with anything or read so this can be our travel seat too

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, I'm glad you finally have something that works :thumbsup: I've always wanted one but have never had a reason to buy one (funny thing for someone with my addiction to say, I know...maybe if I get a new car I'll have a reason? :rolleyes:)

skipspin

I love our YS! I was bummed that DD outgrew it so fast, but now that DS is two it's his seat in "Daddy's truck" and he loves it! :duck:It has got to be the most comfy, easy to use, FFing seat ever. I got mine used from another tech, so it's an "older" one, but it's still great. I almost sold it when DD outgrew it but I'm so glad I didn't. It actually makes a good booster too, just really heavy.

fyrfightermomma

How tall if the shoulder belt guide in booster mode? How tall are the top harness slots?

Top harness slots are between 17-18" depending on who's measuring and how much they press down.

I don't have a tape measure and the seats installed already so I have no clue how high it goes as a booster. Anyone else know?

Mommy2Marcus

What does the shield on the Start look like?? I have always wondered that when I seen your siggy line. I do not understand what you mean by shield. I also thought that shield were a no no, what makes this one okay??

BTW: I think it does sound like you found a good seat for you! The pics look great!

southpawboston

i hear your love. our YS has been our all-time fave seat. our girls LOVED the "snuggle" factor and the SIP wings for head support (even better than the signo, IMHO) and we loved the buttery (if a tad short) harness. good point made by the OP about being a good training booster because it literally prevents slumping and other unwanted movements. if only it went higher than 40lb harnessed. however, i'm concerned about it used as a booster since it is quite heavy. it can be top-tethered, so that's good, but it would be nicer if recaro would allow LATCH use in booster mode... then i'd consider it a perfect booster.

funny how so many people who have this seat simply love it, yet it's not at all common. :confused:

finn

We had one and loved it, ds looked really comfy in it, unfortunately I got a new car, with horrid forward of the bight buckles and couldn't get a tight install so it had to go. It goes quite high in booster mode, I think (but cant remember) that it has 6 or 8 slots in booster mode.

fyrfightermomma

What does the shield on the Start look like?? I have always wondered that when I seen your siggy line. I do not understand what you mean by shield. I also thought that shield were a no no, what makes this one okay??

BTW: I think it does sound like you found a good seat for you! The pics look great!

This is very different than traditional shield seats we are used to. It is made of EPS foam, fits close to the body, there is NO way to be ejected, there is great SIP, and studies show it may be more beneficial than even a 5 point harness. It is similar to the Britax Laptop that used to be available. It allows the whole entire body to move forward in a collision as opposed to just the head and neck eliminating extra stress on their neck.

The old shield seats were made of hard plastic with cloth covering it, didn't fit close to the body, there was NO SIP, and kids were routinely ejected. Not good

I think two of us on here have them.

heres some pics *DISCLAIMER: This is not for sale or use in the US*

100_0871-1.jpg

100_0872.jpg

Mommy2Marcus

Ok, I see the difference. Thanks SO much for sharing that with me. I have always wondered about it & now I know. It does look like a lot better fit than the normal shield seats that I think about.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC