what is included in stroller weight?

romanoma

so when these all terrain strollers with removable wheels list their weight, what does that include? Is it usually without the tires? I can't find it specifically stated. If it doesn't say, wouldn't you assume it means fully assembled?

The reason I ask is my BJCED is WAAAAAAAAAY heavier than stated in product description :(. I'm pretty disappointed by that in terms of deceptive advertising.

ADS

romanoma

I have seen some places list the 2008 at 34 lbs, then I've seen the 2009 for 38lbs :confused: Not sure why this discrepancy, I thought the 2009 was supposed to be lighter?? Regardless, mine is a lot heavier than either.

Anyway, I couldn't believe how mine felt like a ton of bricks, so I got on the scale with and without the stroller. I got 46 lbs!!!!!! I did it twice, on two different days, standing on the scale differently each time, and once I looked, the next time DH looked, both times 46 lbs!!!!! I tell you, it feels like it is 46lbs!! What could be the problem?? I do think it had been returned b/c based on the book with assembly instructions, some steps had already been done (canopy attached, some straps already unhooked, wheels loose in box, not stored in basket).

Any idea why so much heavier? (I did get it for pretty cheap, but I don't want it with 10 extra pounds!!!)

Thanks!!

lovinwaves

According to BJ the weight should be 38lbs, which is their heaviest stroller.

Don't know what to tell you, but to maybe call Baby Jogger on Monday.

What is the date yours was made? It should be etched into the metal on one of the bar near the ground.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Usually it's the chassis, seat and wheels. Usually the canopy is extra and often the basket is extra as well. Any other accessories, like a removable bumper bar, infant inserts, etc. are also not normally included. I find it very deceitful and I always call or email to ask a stroller manufacturer before I buy, what is included in the weight and how much the extra pieces weigh.

A couple years ago, Phil & Ted had hang tags on their E3 stating it weighed SIXTEEN pounds. That was for the chassis and seat and didn't include the wheels, canopy, etc. Seriously, who the heck cares what the stroller weighs without the wheels? When you're lifting it, it almost always has the wheels on. I am NOT going to take the wheels off every time I have to lift it! By the way, the E3 really weighed approx. 24 pounds with the wheels (and I think that was still without the canopy, etc.)

romanoma

According to BJ the weight should be 38lbs, which is their heaviest stroller.

What is the date yours was made? It should be etched into the metal on one of the bar near the ground.

DOM is 5-18-2008, I knew I was getting the 2008, i actually liked the style better.

Usually it's the chassis, seat and wheels. Usually the canopy is extra and often the basket is extra as well. Any other accessories, like a removable bumper bar, infant inserts, etc. are also not normally included. I find it very deceitful and I always call or email to ask a stroller manufacturer before I buy, what is included in the weight and how much the extra pieces weigh.

OK, so I didn't order any "extra" accessories. It comes with the standard large sunshade and a cloth parent organizer thingy near the handle. These two are pretty much attached (with velcro) so I took them off. This plus the basket weighs 6 lbs.

The front wheels weigh just over 5 lbs

The back wheels weigh just over 5 lbs.

Subtracting these weights one at a time or in combination, I still can't get the blasted thing to weigh 38 lbs.
(40lbs...41lbs...35lbs...36lbs...)

So I guess the weight must be without wheels, but including sunshade, parent tray, oh yeah, and a 3lb squirrel :scratcheshead:

WTH?

Do I have any grounds to complain about it being not as advertised?

I mean, it's a beautiful stroller, but I'm still very annoyed with my much heavier than expected purchase. This will limit it's usefulness for me.

(DH on the other hand, who was annoyed with my much pricier than expected purchase, is in :love:)

romanoma

Thanks lovin! I do remember seeing that chart also. I would think that should also include sunshade, right? Who really uses a stroller without it?

I mean, I know 38lbs isn't light, I knew that when I ordered. But when you are already dealing with such a heavy product, 8 extra pounds really IS a lot!!

I guess I just need to start working out...

lovinwaves

They say 24, my scale says 25 :shrug-shoulders:

Are you weighing yourself, then weighing yourself with the stroller, then minusing the two amounts? I weighed myself on my scale several times to make sure it was showing up with the same amount, and ditto with the stroller.

I agree though, 8lbs IS ALOT more :( I would ask them on Monday if the 2009 models are lighter on the doubles. Mine is a 2008 and it seems to be the correct weight.

romanoma

Yeah, that's how I did it too. I have done it over and over, both my weight and the strollers weight repeatedly, then subtract combined weight - my weight. I also had my DH do it, over and over, always the same, 46 lbs.

lovinwaves

I was just kidding about the whole knock-off thing, well at least, I personally have never heard of a knock off being made :p

I weighed it with everything on it. I woudl say 8lbs is pretty significant. Can't wait to hear what BJ has to say on Monday. Oh, and ask for Paula, she's great.

romanoma

so I spoke with "pam" today at BJ and had a really frustrating conversation.

She seriously acted like she had never taken a product complaint before. Said she had no idea why it would weigh more than stated, but that since I didn't buy it directly from BJ that they couldn't help me. She just kept telling me to call the retailer. I kept saying "but how it is the retailers responsibility if the product is not made to its own specifications?" She didn't have an answer for that, just to say that I made a transaction with a retailer and I would have to call them if I had a problem with the product. She also said that she had no proof of what I was saying. Ok, how do you ever have proof of a customer complaint until you get the product back and examine it yourself? I even asked her to go get a supervisor, and she said she did and came back with the same lame lines. :mad::thumbsdown::mad::thumbsdown:

I didn't have time today, but tomorrow I will call the retailer. The problem is, I have read thier return policy. It is very specific that if there is a problem with shipping damage or it is the wrong product, then I deal with them. If the product itself is defective, then I am supposed to deal directly with the manufacturer. I tried to explain that to pam, and all she could say is the product is not technically defective. So when is it "defective"? at 10 lbs overweight? 20 lbs? She couldn't answer that either.

I will be calling back, and I will have to ask for Paula this time.

lovinwaves

Maria, go to Yahoo Groups "Stroller Swap" and see if others that own this stroller can weigh theirs.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

I just found this on strollerswap:

After lots of research and back and forth....I decided to order a 2009
> Baby Jogger Elite Double. It seems like everybody who owns/owned it
> liked the stroller a lot but was bothered by the weight.
> So I thought I'd try the 09 since it's 5 lbs lighter (which I realize
> isn't much but with the better suspension and the lighter weight it
> might be close to perfect....I hope...
>
> I got the black/black since I am really not into the racing stripes
> and hopefully I can make some funky liners for it.
>
> It's already on it's way ... the package with the stroller and the
> double belly bar is 46 lbs!

I have taken it out of the box and my 2 year old sat in it, actually,
the baby, too...and so far...I am uberimpressed! This ride is NICE.
And the weight does not seem too much at all...just right!

romanoma

OK, so from posting on stroller swap, it seems I'm not the only one with a 46lb BJCED, at least two others said theirs were that heavy.

WTH? Can a company just get away with listing the wrong weight by 8lbs on their product description? This seems so deceitful to me. If I had known the product was that heavy, I would have either gotten the classic or mini, not the elite. But now I cannot return it without paying shipping, return shipping, and a restocking fee. I did not call BJ back again, but I'm not really sure what to say if I call back. I don't know how they can "make it right" since I didn't buy the stroller from them and it sounds like a 38lb elite double doesn't exist. That is really what I want, an elite that weighs 38lbs - I JUST WANT THE PRODUCT THAT WAS ADVERTISED!! :(:thumbsdown::(:thumbsdown:

Any ideas on how to hold BJ accountable for this in some way? On principle alone, I don't want to just let it go. (I have major issues with "fairness". It's a curse, since life is seldom fair...)

umajo

I received my 2008 BJCED just last week. I had read this thread and I was curious about my stroller's weight. So I weighed it and got 45 lbs every time. I knew it was going to be heavy before I bought it, so it's not a huge deal for me. It would be nice if the total stroller weight was accurately represented though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC