Frontier as booster needs latch?

spryngtree

Hi I'm fairly new to this forum though I've posted a few times as "unregistered".

We are currently on a new car search and are considering whether to go with a Mazda 5 a Kia Rondo or just give up on the smaller options and get an Odyssey. (I may post a thread about this too if its ok to post multiple threads)

One of the considerations is that my son is currently in a Frontier forward facing and harnessed (4 years, 38 pounds, 40 inches) and we'd like him to be able to keep that seat as a booster. (because finding any seat he found comfortable that was bigger than the marathon was very difficult)

My husband was reading the manual and said that the Frontier must use Latch when it is in Booster mode? Is this true, or has he misunderstood the manual? The two smaller cars do not have latch points in their rear seats, so while its not the only consideration it might tip the scales one way or the other if the Frontier can't be used as a booster in either rear seat.

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
It's optional but not required to use LATCH in belt positioning mode with the Frontier. The Frontier does require a tether anchor in harnessed mode for kids weighing 65 lbs. and up, and top tethering is recommended at any weight for any harnessed forward facing carseat, but there's no such requirement for LATCH or tethering when the Frontier is used in booster mode. :)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Have him read page 34 of the owners manual. The directions are basically make sure recline block is in booster mode, place booster on seat and use seatbelt to secure child. Page 33 shows using LATCH in booster mode, and if he just read up to there I can see why he thinks it's mandatory.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC