KIA Sedona owners - What do you like/dislike about your van?

allenhaus

We're in the market for a minivan, and have an opportunity to get a 2008 Sedona below dealer's invoice (apparently). Have a 21 mo and one due in 3 months. Would you recommend buying? What do you like/dislike about your van? Have you had any reliability or other issues? In short, do you think we'd be making a wise purchase?

Thanks so much in advance!

Marguerite

ADS

firemomof3

I have an 03 Kia Sedona and yes, I would recommend one. The newer ones are even better :thumbsup:
They have a 5 star crash test rating all around which is great! Ours has been very reliable, mechanically anyway. The moonroof worked for the 1st 6mo. but thats it, the OD button worked for the 1st year, the radio doesn't work anymore, power side mirrors don't work....I think thats it. So, the little stuff breaks but honestly, I don't care. My Sedona is fantastic in the snow with 4 snow tires, has always started and has never broken down. We've done routine maintence on it. The captain seats are very car-seat friendly, and they have improved the 3rd row.
My 1st choice would be a Toyota or Honda but the Kia is a much better choice than the Caravan/T&C :twocents:

Heather98012

If you can get that good of a deal, I'd snag it. The 2006 & newer models have stellar safety ratings. I test drove a Hyundai Entourage (owned by the same company so the same vehicle with just a few more bells & whistles) & it was NICE. I actually liked it better than the Nissan Quest I test drove that was 18 grand more.

So yeah...if you can actually get it below dealer invoice, snatch it up!

Last edited:

lovinwaves

Awesome choice! :thumbsup:

The only thing I really noticed about the Kia Sedona vs. my Honda Odyssey was there just wasn't as much cosmetic stuff going on inside. But, eh, that stuff doesn't matter. It's about keeping you and your kiddos safe :)

Oh, and I thought it had a really really nice ride!

Hope you get it, and early congrats.

sirrahn

Not an owner, but we drove one for a week over spring break. It wasn't bad at all really drive-wise, just really spartan and cheap inside, but well, it is cheap;) so I suppose that's nothing to complain about LOL! Safety ratings are certainly good! Ours was the LX model I think so maybe the higher trims are nicer as well.

It did have one nicety that my Sienna doesn't in that I could control the rear air temp from the front. I don't know if Toyota's fixed it, but in my '04 only the rear control adjusts the rear temp which is lovely when your 2 yr old plays with it as she climbs into her carseat and then everyone get's blasted with heat in July.:p

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I have a 2006 and LOVE it!

It's a top safety pick, which is why we looked at them to begin with.

It's the most roomy minivan I've ever owned or been in (and I am pretty sure I have been in all but the new Routan).

I can easily get 3 seats across the 3rd row (long wheel base is easy, short not as easy), I have the long wheel base.

Installing seats is a breeze.

There is a TON of room in it, even a Radian at the forced 45 degree angle and the front seat all the way back - they don't come in contact! It's very roomy.

No, not many bells & whistles, but when you have little kids, they break that stuff anyways.

The only thing I don't have, that I wish I did was the compass/thermostat gadget, and I know I can add it aftermarket, but I don't want to. Power sliding doors would be nice too, but they aren't necessary at all.

I highly recommend the 2006 and newer long wheel base models!

allenhaus

Wow, Ladies --

Thanks so much! Your experience is SO helpful. I first learned about the Sedona here, so thought it would be a great place to ask. We have to make a decision in the next couple of days, and your input has been wonderful. Still keeping a watchful eye out for a Sienna in the meantime.... but even a used one that's 2-3 years old will only be slightly less expensive than the KIA.

Still open to any other input! Keep it coming! (Helps hubby too :))_

Lea_Ontario

The only thing I don't have, that I wish I did was the compass/thermostat gadget, and I know I can add it aftermarket, but I don't want to. Power sliding doors would be nice too, but they aren't necessary at all.

I highly recommend the 2006 and newer long wheel base models!

We have a thermostat gadet thingy, and it sucks - not even anywhere close to accurate. As in - on a day that was well below freezing, it said it was +54C !

Oh - and the back-up sensors work about 15% of the time, and only one of the four sensors works at all.

ajay

We have an 07 long base and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have some of the little bells and whistles that others had- outside temp. gauge, compass, things like that. But, we probably could have gotten that if we would've bought up. (we have the LX)

Also, one minor annoyance is that the turn signals don't warn you if your lights are out. I drove for a week with a headlight out and had no idea until I saw my reflection in something. But, for the awesomeness of the rest of the vehicle, that is a very small price to pay. I don't think you can go wrong with a Sedona at all. GREAT van!! :love:

I have a 2007 Kia base model(not long base). I :love: the van. I hate getting 3-across in my short base. I have been able to do it fine in my friend's long base though.

I will say stay away from the short base if you need alot of carseats or if you need extra cargo room(that is small).

I love that even in the short base you have standard stuff like(I got the basic nothing extra package ;-) ).

Tether and latch in captain's chairs
Tehter and latch in 3rd row, but not in middle.
Lap and shoulder belt in every seating position :love:

I love how the seats just "flip" up when you need the extra space.

I would go with a long base if anything. I have no complaints about that one ;-)!

The only maintence problem I have had is my motor on my windshield wipers went out 3 weeks after I bought it(weird, but it was fixed). (We bought brand new).

allenhaus

Thanks again so much, Ladies!

Your recommendations were all wonderful! However, after hemming and hawing quite a long time, we decided to forgo getting anything at all -- and not due to the Sedona itself. Hubby's employer is having a rough time right now and layoffs are eminent for many. It just didn't seem to be the wisest time to get into more debt, even though the deal/opportunity was definitely a good one. So.... we'll keep on driving the old girl, since two carseats will fit in it just fine. Of course we'll still keep our eyes open (for something used), and will keep a Sedona in mind!

Suzibeck

We are looking at '08 Sedonas right now. My biggest concern is hubby's lack of job security also, but our old van cost us over $3000 in repairs last year and it is leaking fluid badly and will need more expensive work soon. I think we are going to take the plunge but get insurance on our loan so it will be paid for 3 months in the event of a layoff. Better than nothing.

We LOVED the Sedona we drove last weekend! It was super solid, didn't feel cheap at all. It had tons of room, which is good for a family of six. I won't mind not having auto doors as our Olds auto door broke years ago and it is very difficult to open and close now. The fewer bells and whistles, the fewer things to go wrong. I did not want a DVD player, we prefer to listen to books on tape when we travel. We could get an '03 Oddy with nearly 90,000 miles on it for the same price as an '08 Sedona with only 23,000 miles. That is just a no brainer for me.

ETA: I hope your hubby (and mine) stays employed. This is such a tough time, but if you can get by with your old vehicle, then it is wise to wait.

firemomof3

We have a thermostat gadet thingy, and it sucks - not even anywhere close to accurate. As in - on a day that was well below freezing, it said it was +54C !

Oh - and the back-up sensors work about 15% of the time, and only one of the four sensors works at all.

That is so weird, my thermostat is the one thing that is left working and its been very accurate.

allenhaus

Surprise find

Well, you all will probably think this is funny. After deciding to pass on the Sedona and not get anything, an amazing deal came up on an '04 Sienna from a private party. We were stunned when we saw it -- so well cared for, so well equipped, and well below blue book for its condition. Thanking God for sure! If we'd found a good low-mileage used Sedona with a power seat (since tall hubby couldn't get the manual-adjust kind back far enough to be comfortable), we probably would have gone for that, but didn't. It's amazing, because we'd just decided to completely throw in the towel on the whole search when all of this happened. Yes, we could have done without...but I'm so grateful to have it.

While I'm here, it might be good to ask.... I'm assuming that I don't need to use a locking clip with the '04 shoulder/lap belt install. Is that correct? Just thought it would be wise to check! Our '93 Camry definitely needs one. (Survivable, but not fun!)

Last edited:

Mama!

we love our 07 Sedona. I'm about to have the 30K maintenance done on it.

I don't know anything about pre 06 models.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC