safe used sedan???

scuby20

so I know it's all about personal choice and income/finance....but I just like to get opinions/ideas from others about what they like/feel is safe in a sedan.

Right now I have an 05 dodge grand caravan, and I'm completely happy with it. I have a 2 year old and in about 40 days will have an infant. My husband drives a rollerskate of a car (daewoo lanos) and I refuse to let my children ride in that thing. So as it stands now, we only have one car to transport kids in...that is fine, unless he needs to take them somewhere. I cannot drive his car, it's stick and that is fine but I cannot reach the clutch without sitting so far forward that the stearing wheel is literally in my chest. I've driven sticks before but this clutch is so far away.

Anyways, we don't really want a new car payment...the van will be paid off in about 18 months. His car is paid off...but we are wondering what you all would recommend as a safe sedan...that could carry 2 kids in car seats (rear facing) safely that is a decent price.....we would buy used of course. Nothing to old, but maybe an 03-05?? that has a good safety rating and known for good mechanics.

Hope my question isn't to stupid or annoying...I just like to get other people's opinions that are as anal with safety as I am.

ADS

scuby20

I'm not really sure at this point...definatly under 10K...would really like to stay in the 5K range. I know that sounds difficult....the less money, with the best safety is ideal of course.

BW1426

I was going to say I love my G6 and they came standard with Side Curtain Airbags in '07. I got mine for $13,000 something over a year ago and it had some extra options beyond the minimum. It's nice and roomy, got great crash ratings and easily fits RFing seats.

The Taurus (old body style) is also a bargain. I bet you could get a 2007 Taurus easily within your price range.

Pixels

I do love my 02 Honda Civic. I know that's a bit older than what you were thinking, but it's also right in your price range. You could go a bit newer than what I have, of course.

It's got great safety ratings. When I was shopping, that was one of my biggest concerns. I didn't have children at the time, but I knew that I'd likely have children before I got rid of the car. No side curtain airbags (they were just becoming an option on the high-end cars at that time), but I do have side impact (torso protection) airbags for the front seats. That was an option, so if it's something you want, you'll probably have to hunt for it.

Unfortunately, I can attest to how it performs in a rear crash. A few weeks ago, I was rear-ended by a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan that was going about 30 mph and had brake failure. I was stopped at the time, so she ended up using me for brakes. My car did its job and protected the passengers.

As far as fitting rear-facing seats, it's not a problem. My DD was center RFing in her Radian. Mommy0608 has a TrueFit RFing passenger side and an infant behind the driver in her 03. I'm not sure what year Natysr has, but her son is RFing in a Marathon behind the driver.

Heather98012

Another couple of options in your price range would be a Mazda3 (the prices might be a bit over what you're willing to pay, but hey...negotiate!) or a Hyundai Elantra or Sonata. I'd recommend the Sonata...bigger, nicer, & just a better family car. CR gives it high marks for a family sedan as well. My family owns or has owned 5 Hyundais (grandmother, parents, sis, & myself) & we've been very happy with them.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I have a 2006 Kia Optima (basically the same as a Hyundai Sonata) that I bought last year for significantly less than $10K. It gets good safety and reliability ratings and came with a good bit of factory warranty.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC