Chicco Keyfit 30 Install without the base

U

Unregistered

I know my Chicco Keyfit 30 can be installed without the base using a lapbelt, but can it be installed with a shoulder belt? What do you do with the shoulder portion of the belt? (THe shoulder belt lockoffs are on the base)

ADS

BananaBoat

I don't know the answer, but am also curious as we will face this situation during a 2 week trip to Europe. I'm thinking locking clip...:confused:

Pixels

Yes, it can be installed with a lap-shoulder belt. Just route the lap portion of the belt through the belt guides on the seat, and leave the shoulder portion out.

You'll need to be sure the vehicle belt is locked. Here is a guide on the various ways the belt may lock.

U

Unregistered

Well, I tried to install it, and it appears locked and secure, but I can take the carseat and slowly tip it forward and it seems to come out from under the belt and seems so unsafe. My description of what I'm talking about isn't very good, I know. Any ideas? I have a 2004 Volvo V70.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
When you say "tip it forward," do you mean towards the back of the car's seat, or down towards the floor? does the seat shift from side to side at all?

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
If it's moving towards the seat back...that sounds normal. It happens even using the base. When using it baseless, you can roll a towel and put in the space under the foot of the seat.

Susan

U

Unregistered

I can tip it toward the seat back--which is normal, except that once it is back toward the seat back, there is so much slack in the belt that it doesn't seem locked anymore, and I can then tilt it sideways. Hard to describe, but really doesn't seem as secure as it does with just a lap belt.

I am concerned because I am flying alone with my infant next week and I am really concerned about installing the seat in my mom's car when she picks me up at the airport. I don't want to haul the base too b/c I would have to carry it with me and all my other stuff (and baby) through the airport. I am only allowed to check one bag. Plus, mom's car doesn't have latch so i would need to practice installing the base with the belt (hubby has done that for our cars). (mom's car has three shoulder belts in the rear seat of her car--older Camry).

U

Unregistered

Car seats and strollers don't count towards your checked bags. I thought the same thing and when I went on a trip about 6 months ago they checked my stroller and car seats without charging me. I thought that might be useful information in case you really want to take the base.

WhatAboutPuppy

keep in mind if you're checking the install of the bucket you need to be checking at the belt path only. If you've got a hand on the top of the seat up where the baby's head would be and your moving it around it's going to do some funky things.
What kind of movement do you get at the belt path? Using one hand (preferably your weaker one) are you able to get the same movements were it's coming up toward the back of the vehicle seat that it's installed on?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC