Need used minivan with true third row

bert76

Are there any decent used minivans (safety-wise and cost-wise) that have a true third row - meaning all three seat locations have a shoulder and lap belt?

We're expecting our fourth child, so we'll need to get something that seats at least six - most likely a minivan. But I'll also consider a used SUV as long as the kids can get in the back row without popping up a middle row seat.

Our max to spend is $10,000, but we really should spend less since our trade in - a 2002 Xterra - won't be worth that much.

I will be doing a lot of carpooling next year and would like to be able to safely seat one extra child (in a booster) besides my own four children (one in a Recaro booster, the next two in Radians and the soon-to-be-born baby in a Graco SafeSeat infant seat).

Thanks so much for any and all advice,
Berta
mom to:
DS 6yo in Recaro booster
DD 3.5yo in Radian 65
DS 1.5yo just moved to Radian 65
DS (in utero) will be in Graco SafeSeat

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Just an idea from my babysitting days . . .

I had a '05 Freestar with center shoulder belt in 3rd row -- gets good crash ratings with rear side curtain airbags, but no idea about pricing....

When I needed to fit as many kids with similar ages/sizes, I put the newborn rear center between Scenera RF & oldest kid in Parkway, 2 FF harnessed kids in the middle row. I loaded the baby & toddler in through the cargo area & the oldest took care of the youngest ones while I drove, communicating with me so I could pull over if necessary.

If I were you, I'd consider any minivan within your budget, hopefully with rear side curtain airbags, regardless of 3rd row center lap belt: I would probably put the newborn rear center between the Radians with booster'd kids in the middle row, at least while carpooling (I'd choose an infant seat that could be installed without the base on those occasions, leaving the bass for the middle row when not carpooling)

2BunniesMommy

I have a 2004 Ford Freestar. It does have lap/shoulder belts in all positions, but the 3rd row seat if very small. Fine if you are going to just have children back there, but very uncomfortable for adults. It comes with either 2 captain chairs or a bench for the second row. While I would have liked the captain chairs and think they would have made access to the 3rd row easier, I am fine with the bench. It is offset to the left, so as long as you get in on the right, there is room to slip past to get to the 3rd row. I am not small and have done it to install the tether on DD1's seat, no one has ever complained about it being hard to get back there, I have had from age 10 to 17 back there. As well as DH (6ft) a couple times to tend to DD2. So, access is good, but not comfy when you get there.

It only has LATCH in 3 positions. The 3rd seat only has it in the middle and only 1 tether anchor in that row also. The captain chairs each have LATCH. With the bench center we have the choice of either 2 LATCH outboard or 1 LATCH install center, but then no one else can sit on that seat, so not an option we have ever gone with. It also has a TA on the front passenger seat (unless it is a power seat) which is perfect for tethering DD2's rfing Decathlon.

We paid about $10,700 IIRC. That was a little over a year ago and it had 50,000 something miles on it.

bert76

Are all Toyota Sienna's 8-passenger? Or is it just new models? I read in Consumer Reports that is was redesigned in 2003 to make it much more roomy, but I suspect it's been redesigned since then as well. Are all the seats shoulder/lap belts or are the middle ones just lap belts?

Thanks,
Berta

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
No, not all. The 8-passenger version of the Sienna was first available in the '04 model year, and it's a version/option available in the CE and LE trim lines only. The '04 and newer Sienna XLE and XLE Limited models are all 7-passenger versions. It's also worth noting that '04 and newer 7-passenger Sienna models cannot be converted to an 8-passenger, either, due to differences in their floor pans and vehicle seat anchorage points.

bert76

Thanks for all of the information. It looks like the premium you pay for a Toyota (or Honda) takes them out of my reach for what we need to spend, unless we get one with more than 100K miles.

What about domestic minivans. My parents have a Chevy Venture that has served them well. No major issues, but the reliability reports have been pretty bad.

Any other ideas?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Use http://www.informedforlife.org/ to look up a more comprehensive comparison of vehicle safety . . . the Venture is sort of equivalent to a Scenera (vehicle vs. carseat) in that they're both sort of the minimum safety, but affordable & therefore acceptable if something safer isn't within your means....

The Freestar crashes better than the Venture, much better if it has rear side curtain airbags. I don't remember how the Caravan performs, but it was easy for me to fit 5 seats into my friend's.

Ultimately, whatever van within your budget that can be cared for reliably, will be driven wisely & in which the carseats are used correctly is your "best" bet.

It's usually a good idea to test the carseats out in the vehicles before buying, but it's also often easier to replace carseats to fit the vehicle.

bert76

I had never seen the www.informedforlife.org site before. It's got some great information on safety. Is ConsumerReports a good place to get reliability ratings? I've heard mixed reviews on their methodology. And I'm having trouble finding some of the older models (like Pontiac Montana) in their used reliability listings.

Are there any other comprehensive site that I should check out when searching for good (safety and reliability) used minivans?

BW1426

I had never seen the www.informedforlife.org site before. It's got some great information on safety. Is ConsumerReports a good place to get reliability ratings? I've heard mixed reviews on their methodology. And I'm having trouble finding some of the older models (like Pontiac Montana) in their used reliability listings.

Are there any other comprehensive site that I should check out when searching for good (safety and reliability) used minivans?

This is the website I use when looking for crash test ratings :)

What about a Kia? I'm not sure how wide the third row is, but they do get great safety ratings.

firemomof3

If a Toyota or Honda is out of your price range than I would most definitely look at a Kia Sedona! We have one with 100K miles and besides all the little stuff not working, mechanically its perfect!

bert76

Thanks for the Kia recommendations. I hadn't considered them before, but I'll have to check them out. How do they compare to the Hyundai minivan as far as space, safety and reliability?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hyundai owns Kia, and the Kia Sedona and Hyundai Entourage minivan models are essentially the same van under different names. :)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Hyundai owns Kia, and the Kia Sedona and Hyundai Entourage minivan models are essentially the same van under different names. :)

Exactly!

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona (long base) and I adore it! It's very roomy & easy to get 3 across the 3rd row.

I haven't tried three boosters, but I don't think it's be a problem to buckle three boosters.

The widest combination I got back there was a Radian (drivers outboard) a Graco Nautilus (center) and a Sunshine Kids Monterey (passengers outboard). NICE and roomy! My daughter could even buckle herself in the Monterey next to the Nautilus.

BW1426

The widest combination I got back there was a Radian (drivers outboard) a Graco Nautilus (center) and a Sunshine Kids Monterey (passengers outboard). NICE and roomy! My daughter could even buckle herself in the Monterey next to the Nautilus.

Wow! That is way roomy :eek: Nice! I had no idea.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Wow! That is way roomy :eek: Nice! I had no idea.

It is awesome!

A Radian and two Nautilus' is just about an inch TOO wide. I also couldn't fit a Frontier instead of the Nautilus with ANY booster, however three Radian's is IMPOSSIBLE back there - the center seatbelt install, installs so far towards the drivers side that it makes the drivers side seating position unusable. The Radian has to be outboard, and a lot of other seats install with no problem in the center, and the passengers side (40 portion of the 60/40) has perfectly centered LATCH so I could even LATCH the Monterey in!

bert76

I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Kia Sedona LX with just 50K miles. We're very please with it so far. I can't wait to get the car seats install.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Berta

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I am now the proud owner of a 2006 Kia Sedona LX with just 50K miles. We're very please with it so far. I can't wait to get the car seats install.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Berta

Congratulations! I hope you love it as much as I love mine :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC