Best Infant Seat/Position for Sienna minivan?

I tried to search the board but nothing came up and there's way too many posts to go through more than a few pages! :)

I'm due in February and need a new infant seat for my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan, which has 8-passenger seating so we can do 2 or 3 seats in the 2nd row. The infant seat is just to fit the baby better until he grows into a Marathon. My twins are in Britax Wizards right now, one in the middle of each row.
So - my question is which infant seat is safest? Weight of the seat is not an issue as I will be mostly slinging the baby or using a lay-flat stroller or bassinet.
I also need to figure out how to configure the kids, which will have to be my daughter and the baby in the 2nd row and my son staying in the 3rd row (he'd give the baby all kinds of dangerous toys, food, etc).
We have an automatic door on the passenger side but safety's more important than convenience for me.

suggestions? Whatever we get can be checked by a CPST in our area.
Thank you!

ADS

Lys

Senior Community Member
I tried to search the board but nothing came up and there's way too many posts to go through more than a few pages! :)

I'm due in February and need a new infant seat for my 2004 Toyota Sienna minivan, which has 8-passenger seating so we can do 2 or 3 seats in the 2nd row. The infant seat is just to fit the baby better until he grows into a Marathon. My twins are in Britax Wizards right now, one in the middle of each row.
So - my question is which infant seat is safest? Weight of the seat is not an issue as I will be mostly slinging the baby or using a lay-flat stroller or bassinet.
I also need to figure out how to configure the kids, which will have to be my daughter and the baby in the 2nd row and my son staying in the 3rd row (he'd give the baby all kinds of dangerous toys, food, etc).
We have an automatic door on the passenger side but safety's more important than convenience for me.

suggestions? Whatever we get can be checked by a CPST in our area.
Thank you!

Why not just go straight to a Decathlon since you will be slinging the baby? The DC has the infant inserts and I have recommended it to 2 IRL friends who have brought their babies home from the hospital in them. As long as your baby is over 5 lbs, he/she should be fine. Also, the HUGS ( the rubbery straps on the harness) are optional for RF so they can be removed to make the harness fit better for a newborn.

skaterbabs

The problem with using the DC from birth is that the padding won't fix the problem of the harness slots being too tall for a new baby. Yes, it will support them better, but they'll still ramp up in a crash.

Lys

Senior Community Member
The problem with using the DC from birth is that the padding won't fix the problem of the harness slots being too tall for a new baby. Yes, it will support them better, but they'll still ramp up in a crash.

Not to be snarky, but why would this be an issue when there is so much of the shell there to protect the head?
Also, if I remember correctly, both of my friend's babies fit well in the harness straps. I don't remember seeing the straps being that much to tall for them (if any at all).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I'm a carseat obsessed mom of two with an '05 8-passenger Sienna, and I used a Baby Trend Latch Loc and a Graco SafeSeat 1 infant seat for my youngest. The Baby Trend base installed rock solid very easily using LATCH in any of the second row seats, and the SafeSeat base was pretty easy to install using the seatbelt in the second row center seat. The SafeSeat base has a built-in lockoff for the seatbelt which makes installation easier (so easy in fact I never tried to do a LATCH installation). I usually have the second row passenger side seat tumbled forward or removed, and my older DD rides in the third row center, with the baby in the second row center seat with the seat moved forward in the "front and center" mode.

If your twins are forward facing, you may want to consider keeping their seats in the middle of the second and third rows, respectively, and install the baby's carseat on the driver's side second row seat. This is because a forward facing child would be more protected by riding in the middle, while a rear facing child is considered most protected by virtue of being rear facing. Then you could leave the second row seat closest to the passenger side power door open for tumbling or remove it altogether to ease access to the third row and to get to the second row carseats from the passenger side.

As to which infant seat is safer, that's kind of subjective because they all must meet certain safety standards to be on the market, KWIM? But ease of use features like built-in lockoffs on the base and a front harness adjuster, as well as EPS foam lining (like bicycle helmets) are very good things to insist upon when buying a new infant seat and can technically make a seat safer by making it easier to install and use the seat properly. Well liked models on the board with the EPS foam, front harness adjusters and lockoffs are the Chicco KeyFit which starts at 4 lbs. and fits smaller babies quite well, and the Graco SafeSeat which has the largest infant seat weight limit of 30 lbs. (starts at 5 lbs.) but may not fit newborns very well from birth (some moms find the SafeSeat's lowest shoulder harness slots to be above their newborn's shoulders or the harness won't adjust snugly enough for the brand new baby). A new KeyFit model with a 30 lb. weight limit is supposed to come out next year, not sure exactly when it will be available.

Congrats on the new baby, and hope this helps. :)

skaterbabs

Not to be snarky, but why would this be an issue when there is so much of the shell there to protect the head?
Also, if I remember correctly, both of my friend's babies fit well in the harness straps. I don't remember seeing the straps being that much to tall for them (if any at all).

The problem is spinal compression. The more the child ramps up in the seat, the more spinal compression there is likely to be and the greater the risk of injury from it. No, it's not as great a risk as too loose straps or FF too soon, but it is still a risk.

I'm a carseat obsessed mom of two with an '05 8-passenger Sienna, and I used a Baby Trend Latch Loc and a Graco SafeSeat 1 infant seat for my youngest. The Baby Trend base installed rock solid very easily using LATCH in any of the second row seats, and the SafeSeat base was pretty easy to install using the seatbelt in the second row center seat. The SafeSeat base has a built-in lockoff for the seatbelt which makes installation easier (so easy in fact I never tried to do a LATCH installation). I usually have the second row passenger side seat tumbled forward or removed, and my older DD rides in the third row center, with the baby in the second row center seat with the seat moved forward in the "front and center" mode.

If your twins are forward facing, you may want to consider keeping their seats in the middle of the second and third rows, respectively, and install the baby's carseat on the driver's side second row seat. This is because a forward facing child would be more protected by riding in the middle, while a rear facing child is considered most protected by virtue of being rear facing. Then you could leave the second row seat closest to the passenger side power door open for tumbling or remove it altogether to ease access to the third row and to get to the second row carseats from the passenger side.

As to which infant seat is safer, that's kind of subjective because they all must meet certain safety standards to be on the market, KWIM? But ease of use features like built-in lockoffs on the base and a front harness adjuster, as well as EPS foam lining (like bicycle helmets) are very good things to insist upon when buying a new infant seat and can technically make a seat safer by making it easier to install and use the seat properly. Well liked models on the board with the EPS foam, front harness adjusters and lockoffs are the Chicco KeyFit which starts at 4 lbs. and fits smaller babies quite well, and the Graco SafeSeat which has the largest infant seat weight limit of 30 lbs. (starts at 5 lbs.) but may not fit newborns very well from birth (some moms find the SafeSeat's lowest shoulder harness slots to be above their newborn's shoulders or the harness won't adjust snugly enough for the brand new baby). A new KeyFit model with a 30 lb. weight limit is supposed to come out next year, not sure exactly when it will be available.

Congrats on the new baby, and hope this helps. :)

Good point about the infant being safer on the side than the older kids, especially with arms and legs hanging out. I was an EMT for a long time so I am paranoid about safety. Is there any evidence to show which outboard side is safer?
Also, can anyone FIND a Latch-Loc seat now? I've only looked online but haven't seen any and I refuse to buy a used seat or a seat off eBay. And I know that even my son who was 20.5 inches at birth but all legs would not have fitwell in a Marathon to start, so I definitely want an infant seat.
I was thinking of the KeyFit, Safeseat, and Companion. Jighher weight limits aren't a big deal b/c my kids grow long and lean LOL, and like I said I'd transition to a Marathon or other Britax after 3-4 months anyway.

Christine

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Side impact crash statistics show very little difference in frequency of collisions on the driver's side vs. the passenger side according to stats cited by techs here on the board. Sorry I can't locate a link with actual stats at the moment, they're probably buried somewhere on the NHTSA.gov website.

ITA about avoiding used/eBay seats with unknown histories. :)

Baby Trend shows the Latch Loc and a similar seat called the Flex Loc on the products section of their website, but I don't know where to currently buy a new Latch Loc. The Latch Loc model was discontinued last year around the time I bought ours in the spring of 2005. A tech on another board who works at Babies 'R Us recently posted the Latch Loc was going to be available again which may be why it's listed on Baby Trend's web site. I've seen the Flex Loc for sale at Target.com and as part of a travel system at Babies 'R Us, but no sign of new Latch Locs yet AFAIK. Baby Trend may be able to give you more definite availability info. :)

Baby Trend shows the Latch Loc and a similar seat called the Flex Loc on the products section of their website, but I don't know where to currently buy a new Latch Loc. The Latch Loc model was discontinued last year around the time I bought ours in the spring of 2005. A tech on another board who works at Babies 'R Us recently posted the Latch Loc was going to be available again which may be why it's listed on Baby Trend's web site. I've seen the Flex Loc for sale at Target.com and as part of a travel system at Babies 'R Us, but no sign of new Latch Locs yet AFAIK. Baby Trend may be able to give you more definite availability info. :)

Thanks - obviously we won't be buying yet anyway, so I'll have to email Baby Trend and keep an eye out for it. I just get nervous a bit when companies "redesign" seats because you never know if they actually improved it or made it worse.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC