Question about Britax First Class Si

U

Unregistered

Hi! I live in Brazil. The issue of car safety here is still a few years behind US standards. (for example, airbags are still not standard features) and forget LATCH and tethering. Despite laws requiring the use of carseats for infants and children, people rarely use them, preferring to hold babies in their laps. (Especially after several horrible incidents with carjackings and parents not able to remove children quickly from cars.) Anyway, I'm American and insist that my DS travel in a car seat. I luckily came across this wonderful site, and found out about the importance of RFing for as long as possible.
I was able to find 2 models sold in the country that allow for RFing after 9 kilos (20 lbs): the Chicco Vector/Travel Jet (TERRIBLE!) and the Britax First Class Si (I got the last one in town -a floor model, but that's OK.) which is RFing to 13 kilos. At 16 mos., my son is on the small side at 10 kilos / 77 cm, so I think we have a couple years of use RFing at least, and basically, it was the only possibility and I was lucky to find such a respected brand available to purchase.
As for my questions:
We installed the seat in our Renault Clio (not sold in US), there is a lot of give at the backrest, for example, I can make the seat rock from side to side. From what I've read here, the only thing that matters is that the seat is tight at the seat belt, but is this much give normal?
Also, I can't see my DS at all! Even with a mirror, the First Class's side wings totally obscure him from view. Is there any remedy to this?
And, his head also falls forward when he's sleeping, and I think it's reclined all the way.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks for reading!

ADS

lenats31

The same rules of thumb count for EU seats as for US seats. You want your car to rock and not the car seat when you tug it side to side and front to back.

Lena

skylinphoto

You want an inch or less of movement at the belt path. The top of the seat WILL move. That's normal.

I don't know what to do about not being able to see him....sorry.

lenats31

You want one of those mirrors that you can adjust.

You may have the wrong car seat on your hands. At least wrong for you and your son.

PM Adventuredad or visit his online store:

www.carseat.se

Lena

U

Unregistered

The same rules of thumb count for EU seats as for US seats. You want your car to rock and not the car seat when you tug it side to side and front to back.

Lena

Thank you! I didn't quite understand what you meant by my car rocking, not the car seat? The CR doesn't move at all at the belt path, but rocks quite a bit from side to side at the far end. There's no place here I can take it get the installation checked. Is there any video that you know of?
Also, my son fell asleep in the seat this weekend and though it's reclined at a comfortable position (not too upright, not to horizontal) his head flopped forward. Being that I can't see him very well bc of the high side wings, I got a little nervous while driving. Is this dangerous at all? Could it reduce oxygen to the brain? Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound silly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC