Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager Minivans Front Seatback Defect - Anyone have info on this?

MomToEliEm

I was looking at some you-tube videos earlier today and saw this video regarding the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Voyager minivans and a defect that they are alleging in 94-04 models.

Infant Deaths From Chrysler Minivan Dodge Caravan Seatback Defect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeVsPMvaAa4
Infant Deaths From Chrysler Minivan Dodge Caravan Seatback Defect. Affecting 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 Dodge Caravan Plymouth Voyager Unsafe Chrysler Minivan Resulting in Death and Serious Injuries to infants.

The parents of 8 month old Joshua Flax filed suit against Chrysler after their son was killed in a car accident involving their 1998 Dodge Caravan. The wrongful death case centered on the allegedly defective design of the minivan's front seatbacks.

Joshua Flax was in the back seat of the minivan when it was rear ended. The impact caused the front seat to collapse and its passenger to strike Joshua in the head, fracturing his skull. All parties agreed that Joshua was only fatally injured because of the collapsed seat. In late 2004, a jury found Chrysler's seats to be defective and unreasonably dangerous.

Evidence showed that the seat in question had been failing crash tests for over 20 years. Since the '80's Chrysler had been getting complaints that the seats were collapsing and injuring children. In fact, a former employee testified that he had investigated the seats in the '90's because of all the complaints. He was fired after expressing that he wanted to bring the issue to federal regulators.

In its opinion the Supreme Court stated that the evidence showed in the court of law showed Chrysler ignored customer's warnings and failed to redesign their minivan. Chrysler also hid the evidence. In addition, Chrysler marketed their minivan as a vehicle that put safety first. The minivan has been a symbol of modern American families. When Joshua Flax's family strapped his car seat in they felt confident in the safety of their minivan. But they found out all too soon the error in their perception was from the deception by Chrysler.

Does anyone have one of these model minivans? Has a recall ever been issued on it? I would be worried about having anyone sit in the seats behind the front seats if this was a serious problem. I don't have one of these vehicles, but we do have friends that have them. Should I be worried?

ADS

GShygirl78

We just bought a used '98 Caravan and I've never even heard of this. Our 2 youngest sit in the middle row. Now I'm worried...:(.

Never heard of it. 94 T&C and a 2000 Caravan.

That said, it's not totally surprising. This is a company that used such poor rear door latches, they pop open during low speed crashes allowing passengers to fly out.

April

Never heard of it. 94 T&C and a 2000 Caravan.

That said, it's not totally surprising. This is a company that used such poor rear door latches, they pop open during low speed crashes allowing passengers to fly out.

And Gen 3 seatbelts that mysteriously come unbuckled by themselves...

Yeah, I'm driving a borrowed 2000 Grand Caravan while I wait for my new van to arrive. Nice.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I know way more about it that I care to. I had a 96 Grand Voyager, and the front seats started bending backward, not releasing due to a lever failure~ the seat back frames actually bent, just from sitting in them. I was the *only* driver and I weighed between 120-126# the entire time I drove it. It got to the point that the driver seat was pretty much flat. I could actually get behind it and bend it back upright (it was that flimsy), but after a few minutes of leaning back in it it would just collapse it again. I drove my Grandmother to dialysis 3 times a week, and the passenger seat was starting down the same route.

Now Chrysler has (had?) a program for low income people to get repairs regarding safety equipment at cost and with free labor. I totally qualified for the program, but when I called to try to get the seats fixed I was told that the seats collapsing backward were not a safety hazard, and advised to hold on to the steering wheel tightly to keep myself upright.

And get this....stock replacement seats were $700:eek::eek::eek: EACH. A pair of RECARO seats were only a grand.

And this is just one of the many many costly reasons (try $10,000 in other repairs in a car less than 3 years old) why I will never again buy a Chrysler product. I just don't trust them to stand behind their vehicles.

NannyMom

It sounds familiar. Not sure where I heard about it though. But I previously owned a 98 Grand Caravan (traded after too mnay a/c problems) and a 99 Voyager (traded after reliable mechanic told me...uh....something was cracked, sell it fast).

scuby20

I read a bunch about this a while ago....apparently it can happen in MANY veh's...not just those. I can't remember where I got all my info from, but it was with many more vehicles than just those vans....yet another reason to rear face as long as possible.

I think, if I remember correctly there was a dateline or nightline or something story on it.

4boysmom

This does not negate from the issue/family loss but I am noticing two things I think that went wrong here that I am wanting some clarification on 1) the 8 mo was forward facing which should never have been and 2)shouldn't the front passengers head rest be up, aren't all occupants supposed to have support to mid-ear just like forward facing. The issue still stands for those who could have safely been sitting behind the front passenger and I am sure being whacked by the head rest/top of head vs all of head would have not been much better either but I was wondering/taking note of those things...

monstah

2)shouldn't the front passengers head rest be up, aren't all occupants supposed to have support to mid-ear just like forward facing. The issue still stands for those who could have safely been sitting behind the front passenger and I am sure being whacked by the head rest/top of head vs all of head would have not been much better either but I was wondering/taking note of those things...

I had a 99 Plymouth Voyager and the headreasts were not moveable at all. In fact, the seat only came up to the bottom of my husbands head.

Every day I become more and more relieved that we were able to get rid of our Plymouth. Chrysler has SO MANY safety problems that have supposedly been "swept under the rug" over the years and many outcries for recalls.

I will never trust anything in the Chrysler family. Ever.

mimieliza

This does not negate from the issue/family loss but I am noticing two things I think that went wrong here that I am wanting some clarification on 1) the 8 mo was forward facing which should never have been and 2)shouldn't the front passengers head rest be up, aren't all occupants supposed to have support to mid-ear just like forward facing. The issue still stands for those who could have safely been sitting behind the front passenger and I am sure being whacked by the head rest/top of head vs all of head would have not been much better either but I was wondering/taking note of those things...

I'm sure that the baby would have been killed if he were 12 months old and FFing as well. Or at least seriously injurred if he were RFing. The fact of the matter is, front seats should not collapse like that. And I agree with the PP who pointed out that Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge headrests often are not adjustable.

This is a company with a looooooong track record of taking short cuts regardless of the impact on passenger safety. I, for one, totally understand why they are now facing bankruptcy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC