WWYD? DD going to be riding school bus...

lovinwaves

DD is starting Summer School Pre-Kindy June 1st through our public school. It will be Monday-Friday 7:30-3:30. The bus will be transporting her. I obviously, though, have the option to take her, but her riding the bus would be safer.....or maybe not....

She will be turning five a few days before school starts. She is roughly 32-33lbs right now, and I don't expect her to gain much by then.

The NHTSA guidelines say that a child of "pre-school" age(defined as under 50lbs) should be properly restrained in CSRS on a bus.

How should I approach the school about this? I admit, I am nervous even considering asking them to provide a school bus with the integrated harnesses(They have several, btw), a bus with a lapbelt so I can install her a carseat, or allowing me to attach a safety vest. :eek:

ADS

skylinphoto

My son is starting preschool (for therapy purposes) real soon. He's 3 years old and will be riding the bus. (I don't have the ability to take him as dh needs the car for work most days).
They will be providing a car seat ...but, I'm trying to figure out how to ask them if it's safe..when it was made..will it be adjusted right for him everytime..will he be buckled up properly everytime...stuff like that.

So, a little different concern..but, similar.
I have a conference meeting tomorrow to discuss the amount of therapy he will need (thus ..how many days he will be in preschool a week)...and I'm going to bring it up with them then. I dont' know though.

Wish me luck and I'll wish you some!

lovinwaves

Jessica, I just went through this with my 3 year old son back in October. The reason I am questioning my daughter's safety is that the school district has said they ONLY harness children under 5 year old, which would be their early-education school passengers (like your son and mine.)

Your meeting tomorrow is probably to discuss his IEP, right? If you want to make a seperate thread, there are alot of members here who have gone though this.

Here were my previous threads about it...They may be of help to you. :)

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59133

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=59857

And good luck with your meeting tomorrow :D

Kat_Momof3

I would not only contact the school, but I would have it written in his IEP that he has to be transported in an integrated harness of some kind (vest/seat) until he is 50lbs or too big to fit the harness safely.

lovinwaves

I would not only contact the school, but I would have it written in his IEP that he has to be transported in an integrated harness of some kind (vest/seat) until he is 50lbs or too big to fit the harness safely.

It's my daughter ;)

So you are saying you can have an IEP written just for her to be transported to school?

R&J'sMom

It's my daughter ;)

So you are saying you can have an IEP written just for her to be transported to school?

I don't think she can have an IEP if she is a typical child.

On another note, when your DS turns 5, as long as it's in his IEP that he must be harnessed while on the bus, the school will have to harness him.

lovinwaves

No problem Jessica :) I just think you might get more replies if you have your own thread, since this one is so specifically about bus riding with a 5 year old.

Today while voting the lady helping me sign in noticed my addie, and asked if I had the little boy that rode the "short bus" :)p). Come to find out, she is going to be the bus driver for DD when Summer School starts. She said there shouldn't be any issue with her riding in a harness, and in fact her particular bus has 2-4 integrated harnessed seats (The same ones DS rides in.) :thumbsup:

I have a call in to the school, and am waiting to hear back

Kat_Momof3

It's my daughter ;)

I thought he already had an active IEP... it can be written into an existing or new IEP that is being done up for other reasons, but no, you wouldn't have an IEP just for that.

lovinwaves

I thought he already had an active IEP... it can be written into an existing or new IEP that is being done up for other reasons, but no, you wouldn't have an IEP just for that.

I have a son and a daughter. My son is in early education school through the school district and currently rides in a harness on a school bus everyday. He is 3 years old. My daughter is 4, and has never ridden a bus, nor had an IEP. This thread is about her going to Summer School, where they typically do not harness the children.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I would visit the bus garage & speak to someone in charge there. Where I live, the school district & the bus garage are separate entitities so the school does not have a say in what goes on in the bus (other than passing parental notes on to drivers & helping bus drivers to teach kids basic bus safety behavior)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC