Is an '08 Town & Country a wise purchase?

allenhaus

We may have an opportunity to purchase an '08 T&C at a very, very good price. It's fully loaded, clean, and has very low mileage (in the 12K range). We had been considering Siennas, but what we can find at the same price range isn't at all as nice. Kiddo-wise, we have a nearly 2 yo and are expecting another this summer. Our Consumer Reports book doesn't have any info on the '08, but I've read some things online about problems with brakes, knocking noises and even transmission problems. Wondering if these are common? Those of you that have T&C's -- do you like them? What has your experience been? Thanks so much for your input!! :)

ADS

firemomof3

We also are in the market for a new minivan and I test drove an 08 T&C because the prices are sooo low right now. I honestly wasn't that impressed, didn't blow my hair back. The stow n go seating was great but rattled when stored. Power was adequate, handling OK. I liked that fact the side curtain airbags reach the 3rd row, thats great :thumbsup: But when I looked at the 3rd row there was only 1 rear tether...and that was enough for me to say no way.
So, we went and looked at the 04-06 Toyota Sienna/Honda Odyssey and WOW what a huge difference! I loved the 8 passenger Sienna because I can fit all 3 of my kids across the 2nd row and have the back wide open for my dogs :D Almost everyone that I have talked to have told me that a Toyota/Honda product with 65K miles is much better than any Dodge/Chrysler product with 6K miles.....so I think thats a big consideration. I think with just 2 kids then the T&C is a fine choice, but I have 3 kids and have their friends with me a lot and I really wanted the option of more rear tethers and the 8 seating :twocents:

allenhaus

Thanks Firemom,

Your response did echo some of my cautions, and it looks like we're back to looking for a Sienna. I find it so sad that American cars have often become something to avoid. We'd love to buy American, but not if we will later regret it :(

Test drove a Sienna last night, actually, and I do prefer the way it feels and handles anyway. Maybe that's because I'm used to a Camry?

Anyway, thanks again so much! :)

scuby20

I have an 05 dodge grand caravan...virtually the same as the T&C...with stow and go, and all the features (minus leather). I love my van...the stow and go does it for me. Right now though we only have 1 kid...the 2nd is due next month. We bought the van before we had kids so I LOVED the stow and go because if we took off shopping and wanted to buy something, we just stowed the seats...we still do with the 2nd middle seat...but now with the next one on the way I guess that isn't as easy because they will both be taking up the middle captains chairs.

I rented a sienna while on vacation in florida. I loved that 3rd seat in the middle row...that even came closer to the front...though not sure if that is safe for a car seat. It would have helped when my daughter was on the apnea monitor and such.

It had all the same options for the most part as the dodge caravan, but the stow and go....the one thing I didn't like about the sienna, and I don't remember what year it was (it was probably an 06 or 07) was that the rear air controls (for when you have adults that want to control their air in the back) were on the left side (drivers side) in the middle row....so if you only had a kid and 1 adult back there, and the adult was sitting behind the passenger (like I was when we rented the van)....I couldn't reach the rear control...I kept asking the person driving to adjust it for me.....which makes it useless.

in the dodge grand caravan and t&c it's in the middle of the 2nd row, so either can adjust it.

my dodge grand caravan does have some seat squeeking issues when NOT stowed, that is driving me nuts...I'm still trying to figure out 3 years later what it is from.

Check how many LATCH positions there are in the T&C. I remember complaints at how shoecked people were by how few there were.

vermontmoms

Honestly, if you can find an 08 Hyundia entourage I would get that over the the other ones you mentioned b/c you can get it much cheaper and actually it was rated higher than the sienna in crash tests.

allenhaus

Hi again!

We did check into a 2008 Kia Sedona -- the dealer was offering a screaming deal on it brand new, and we very seriously considered it. When it came down to it, however, we ended up feeling that it wasn't a wise time to go into more debt as hubby's employer is experiencing tough times, etc., etc., and we don't really NEED something now. So....guess we'll be driving the older Camry (which, thankfully, is in good shape) for a while longer (while keeping our eyes open for an even MORE screaming deal).

Thanks so much for all of the input! Very grateful. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC