Pre-K field trip...any tips

mamato2

Dd's pre-k class is going to the pumpkin patch on Thursday. They need parents to drive. I signed up because I want to be the one to drive dd. I have NO idea how many other parents will drive their own child or how many will offer to take other kids. I imagine I may get a child or two, maybe a parent as well.
WHAT do I need to know to do this as safely as possible? Do I let the parents install the seats and I make sure they are in correctly to the best of my knowlege (belt tight, harness snug, clip at chest) or do I install them because they are MY passengers? For all I know the parents just leave seats and the drivers install them.
C.
I will not take a child unless they are in a carseat or high back booster and I know the school says they must be in a 'carseat' but I think that also includes boosters.

ADS

lovinwaves

ooh, that's a tough one. If the parents are there I would have them install the best they could, and then you can tweek if you need to.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I believe it's at www.carseat.org (without the hyphen, otherwise you'll end up back here) where you can find a Carpooling Info sheet -- check the area with printables for parents....

I personally would let the parents install the seats, but then together (go ahead & be rather obnoxiously forceful if necessary, LOL) check for secure install & fix it along with harness straps yourself if need be....

My favorite line for such instances: "I just know we don't get to choose when we crash so I'm not prepared to be the one responsible for any of these kids getting hurt since it's MY vehicle & *I* am driving" :rolleyes: :cool:

Keep a bunch of printables ready along with your vehicle manual in hand JIC ;) They might think you're crazy, but better that than stupid, LOL!

abacus2

I would just plan to install the seats yourself. It's your car, so you have a feel for how seats install and most people don't like installing car seats and will be happy to have you take over. If a parent wants to install it themselves, let them but double check it since it's your car and you're responsible. If you have any extra car seats or hbb's stick them in your trunk in case you need them for a kid who shows up with a backless booster. I also always insist that adult passengers in my car are properly restrained as I am responsible for their safety and unrestrained passengers are a risk to other passengers.

lovinwaves

I would just plan to install the seats yourself. It's your car, so you have a feel for how seats install and most people don't like installing car seats and will be happy to have you take over. If a parent wants to install it themselves, let them but double check it since it's your car and you're responsible. If you have any extra car seats or hbb's stick them in your trunk in case you need them for a kid who shows up with a backless booster. I also always insist that adult passengers in my car are properly restrained as I am responsible for their safety and unrestrained passengers are a risk to other passengers.

The Op may not exactly be familiar with every carseat and manufacturer. I know I'm not. There maybe a weird carseat that is a little bit more difficult to install or has a different kind of belt path. I personally would rather keep the parents there just in case I have a question about installing it.

abacus2

Good point about the different car seats, but I wouldn't expect the parents to know much either. So many are completely ignorant of anything other than the fact that they are supposed to use a car seat. At my church's moms group this morning, I got a good look at 4 carseats (2 infant seats with noticably loose straps, 1 infant seat with noticably loose straps and the chest clip low, and 1 Britax MA installed FF for a not-quite one year old). These are generally well-educated women with college degrees and good household incomes. On the way there another car passed me with a Snugride installed in front of the front passenger airbag:eek:!

lovinwaves

Good point about the different car seats, but I wouldn't expect the parents to know much either. So many are completely ignorant of anything other than the fact that they are supposed to use a car seat. At my church's moms group this morning, I got a good look at 4 carseats (2 infant seats with noticably loose straps, 1 infant seat with noticably loose straps and the chest clip low, and 1 Britax MA installed FF for a not-quite one year old). These are generally well-educated women with college degrees and good household incomes. On the way there another car passed me with a Snugride installed in front of the front passenger airbag:eek:!

Gosh, that sounds exactly like what I see everyday. So true though about not expecting the parents to know much either. The carseats will probably be the best they have ever been installed in the OP's car. Maybe she could take this time to help educate some of the parents on installing. But she has to be careful not to offend any of them. It's a shame isn't it......:(

abacus2

I love the idea one person suggested on a previous thread that all parents be required to have their car seats checked once a year just like cars have to be checked. What good are car seat laws if they're not understood and enforced? Although I do love to be able to point to what the law says when talking about safety. That way I can make it sound like I'm just letting them know about new super-strict laws rather than questioning their parenting. TN laws are great: all children under age 16 in rear seating positions if available, infants RF to age 1 and 20 pounds, toddlers FF to age 4, children in boosters to age 9 or 4'9".

lovinwaves

I love the idea one person suggested on a previous thread that all parents be required to have their car seats checked once a year just like cars have to be checked. QUOTE]

I am the one that suggested that ;) I have been thinking that for awhile now. It is just really scary how many kids are incorrectly installed wrong (9 out of 10). Obviously something needs to be done. We can't rely on parents, so it is now time to start making them! Just like we can't assume everyone knows and will get car insurance, that's why we have to prove it when we get our renewal. I think it could be the same kind of concept?;)

mamato2

Thanks for the responses! The vehicles I've seen into so far are full of MA's and Parkways (and they MATCH both each other AND the interiors but who knows how well they are installed!!). I think most of the kids in dd's class, (4 turning 5 before next fall) are in boosters but a few might still be harnessed.
I bet those are the one's whose moms are also driving. I would MUCH prefer a harnessed seat but will take them in a hb booster if that is what they have.
I am not a tech and my installing experience is pretty limited to certain seats so I like the idea of having the parents do it and then I 'tweak' as someone suggested. I also will check out the carpooling info sheet-thanks Papooses.
I don't want to have an accident and someone get hurt because a parent didn't do something 'right' and I didn't catch it, nor would I want to be responsible because I did something wrong. :eek:
I wonder most about those parents who will drop off a seat without knowing who will be driving their child and who and HOW they will be installing the seat. I mean I hover over my husband and have to fight the urge to recheck dd after he's got her in (and often I check anyway!!).:p
They will know I'm a 'nut' when they see dd rf anyway! Since she is just to the top of the shell we'll turn her on Sunday-after she turns 5! (Just so we can say she made it that long.) She's our 'poster child' for extended rf.
C.

lovinwaves

I mean I hover over my husband and have to fight the urge to recheck dd after he's got her in (and often I check anyway!!).:p

I use to hover my husband and physically check it when he was done, but now I think he is a pro at it. But, believe me I still do the "look over" non-chalantly. I think he still sees me do it, but he knows I can't help it.:D

melaniev

our school does this too. i try to get the parent to install a harnessed seat, but actually i believe this year mine is the only one still in a harnessed seat. i always drive her unless the one other friend i trust her with (who has an extra turbobooster) is driving and its really close.

the boosters we just grab and throw in basically. theyre pretty basic. i cant believe how many 4yo's are in backless boosters. oh, and the ones in highback always still have the straps in them even though they dont use them so its sort of hard to know if the parent isnt there. theyll tell you though - mommy doesnt use those anymore!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC